Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking into another 914. Have values climbed or what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slick914
Hey everyone.

I had a 74 last summer for a few months and ended up selling it to find a better 914. Well, that never happened and I ended up buying a Camaro as I'm into Chevy muscle cars as well. Anyways, ever since selling the 914 I've missed how fun it was to drive. I've always kept my eyes open for a nice clean one around here, but they are hard to come by around Ohio. I recently started searching a little harder and it seems that the prices have skyrocketed since last year! It almost seems impossible to find a 74 or earlier 2.0 car in very nice shape for 10k. Is this what these cars are going for now? Has the gas prices added value to 914's since they are a somewhat fuel efficient classic?

I might be going to look at this 72 1.7 car tomorrow...

IPB Image

The price is $8,000. The owner insists the car is "rust free". I've heard that before, but we'll see. He describes the car as being totally redone in 1999. I think he just means the body and possible interior. Mileage is 167k! That sure is a lot of miles, isn't it? He says he has all maintenance records since new.

Do you think a 1.7 car with that many miles is worth 8k in todays market?

Off topic question... Are those wheels a stock wheel or aftermarket. He claims they are original.

bfrymire
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jun 7 2008, 12:28 PM) *

Hey everyone.

I had a 74 last summer for a few months and ended up selling it to find a better 914. Well, that never happened and I ended up buying a Camaro as I'm into Chevy muscle cars as well. Anyways, ever since selling the 914 I've missed how fun it was to drive. I've always kept my eyes open for a nice clean one around here, but they are hard to come by around Ohio. I recently started searching a little harder and it seems that the prices have skyrocketed since last year! It almost seems impossible to find a 74 or earlier 2.0 car in very nice shape for 10k. Is this what these cars are going for now? Has the gas prices added value to 914's since they are a somewhat fuel efficient classic?

The price is $8,000. The owner insists the car is "rust free". I've heard that before, but we'll see. He describes the car as being totally redone in 1999. I think he just means the body and possible interior. Mileage is 167k! That sure is a lot of miles, isn't it? He says he has all maintenance records since new.

Off topic question... Are those wheels a stock wheel or aftermarket. He claims they are original.

Patience will find a good deal. I bought a 1974 1.8 for 3500 earlier this year. Took a lot of looking and I did see at lot of fright-pigs.

Having said all that, the example I bought is a sound car, but, as it is a 35 year old car, there is some rust to deal with. But, it's nothing a little welding will not fix. If I spend the time and money, it will be a nice car, but it will cost about 8-10k to put it in nice shape. (Not a concours car!)

So, I guess it depends on what you want. I don't mind a project car...

-- brett
r_towle
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Jun 7 2008, 03:55 PM) *

Hey everyone.

Patience will find a good deal. I bought a 1974 1.8 for 3500 earlier this year. Took a lot of looking and I did see at lot of fright-pigs.

Having said all that, the example I bought is a sound car, but, as it is a 35 year old car, there is some rust to deal with. But, it's nothing a little welding will not fix. If I spend the time and money, it will be a nice car, but it will cost about 8-10k to put it in nice shape. (Not a concours car!)

So, I guess it depends on what you want. I don't mind a project car...

-- brett

A clean car in Ohio versus a rusted car in CA is not a good comparison.

A rust free car in Ohio for 8k....yup that is the price...and its goind up still.

Wheels are not original.
Rich
Slick914
Thanks Rich.

The owner claims it to be an original Cali car, but don't they all! wacko.gif

With that many miles, I would have to assume an engine rebuild in the near future. Then the fact I always want more power would turn into at least a 2.0 transplant or a 2056 build. happy11.gif BAM! We're up to 12k already. sad.gif
NoEcm

Mileage is 167k! That sure is a lot of miles, isn't it?

That works out to ~5,000 miles per year.
Slick914
QUOTE(NoEcm @ Jun 7 2008, 06:33 PM) *

Mileage is 167k! That sure is a lot of miles, isn't it?

That works out to ~5,000 miles per year.

Guess what I meant was that's a lot of miles on an engine that hasn't been rebuilt.

What kind of mileage is expected of these engines before they need a rebuild?
dw914er
my 1.7 was about every 100,000 miles (im now at 237,000). I have heard from others that the 1.7 has a shelf life of about 100,000 miles, like mine. That engine has help up pretty well then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.