Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 904 protype for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
904svo
Found this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Got money?
ws91420
I would have to check my books but I thought the 904 was built on its own chassis and had a 6.
ericread
The details mention it's built on a 1960 Porsche 356 B Coupe chassis. The chassis number quoted is : 113485.

Looks like a fun car, not THE prototype...
ws91420
Bad attempt at a copy
Real rear end of a 904
Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
That is in no way either a 904 or the prototype for the series.

Paul
rick 918-S
Sorry, I just threw up on my mouth a little bit.. icon8.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here's 904-002, July 1978. The front photo barely shows the uniquely shaped instrument pod that was exclusive to the first few 904s that were built.
sww914
That ebay car kinda has the wrong motor in the wrong spot and the body looks pretty wrong, too.
SirAndy
hmmm, if i read the ad right, this car was handbuild in 1960 by porsche as a prototype for the 904 ...

idea.gif Andy
ericread
It's definitely a prototype. Not an original 904 prototype, of course.

A protoytpe of what and by whom??? That's the question...
dw914er
I think is rather ugly compared to a 904

i think the rear looks ugly, period

904 though, is nice. I like
plymouth37
You would think that if it were a real 904 prototype the bid would be a hell of a lot higher than 8 grand. dry.gif

That rear plate on the blue car is bitchin! Who's gonna get "IX I IV"? biggrin.gif
Zundfolge
Uh ... NO.

For one thing its a rear engine car, the 904 was mid engine and based on the tube chassis 718RSK, not the pan based 356.

Maybe this is a prototype of some VW bug based kitcar, but the only thing Porsche about it is the stickers on the motor.

Doesn't eBay pull fraudulent ads?
EyeTrip
I'll take 2 HAHAHAH
It cannot be real
sww914
Porsche was a design company. They named their designs by number. The 356 was obviously their 356th design. The 911 was their 901st design but the were unable to call it that due to Peugot's copyright on the x0x car numbering. This picture is allegedly the only surviving 911 prototype, a 1963. The 904 came after the 901 but this ebay ad says that it is a 1960. It doesn't make sense to me that Porsche would produce a 904 prototype 3 years before their 901 prototype.
smontanaro
I imagine the project number was assigned when the project first started, so it's not altogether out of the realm of possibility that the 911 (901) design was started before the 904. Also, the project number probably doesn't have much to do with when prototypes were built. Lots of stuff happening in parallel. Some projects going full steam ahead, others slowing down or stopping for various reasons.

Skip
Cap'n Krusty
There are available photos and documentation of the 901 as early as 1959, or possible even before that. Considering the usual lead time then was 5 years +, that's right in the ball park. As for the car on Ebay, there's NO way it's anywhere in the heritage of the 904, which was based on the racing line, not the street one. Prior to the 914, the last mid engined Porsche specifically intended for street use was in the very early 50s, at the very latest. BTW, you could order a street 904, which cost a couple grand MORE than the track version.

The Cap'n
drew365
Reminds me of the Ferrari Breadvan, only uglier.
ws91420
The pic I put on is supposedly one of the 904 prototypes from 1964.
Richard Casto
I can't imagine that this has any Porsche factory involvement at all. Rather, this looks to me like some did their own "Bradley GT" style 904 kit car on a 356 chassis. Only value would be the 356 VIN and chassis (however much is left of it)
BEE DRIVEN
Here is a real Porsche 904 with the six, the owner bought the 904 in the early 1970,s for around $6,800.00 , I guest racing cars back than were not valued as today.
Nick
BEE DRIVEN
More of the 904 with the six.
BEE DRIVEN
Front view of the 904. The owner said the wheels are just place holders, he has the correct wheels.
BEE DRIVEN
Here is a 904 from Rennsport Reunion 111, it has the four cam engine.
Nick
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jun 7 2008, 10:19 PM) *

I would have to check my books but I thought the 904 was built on its own chassis and had a 6.

Sorry, and surprised no one else has refuted this, but the 904 originally came with the four-cam 4 cyliner motor. SOME (few) were later treated to a six, but it was not the original motor. Now, Carrera Six on the other hand........
BEE DRIVEN
More of the 904 with the four cam.
BEE DRIVEN
More four-cam,rear view.
BEE DRIVEN
One more engine shot.
904svo
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 8 2008, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jun 7 2008, 10:19 PM) *

Sorry, and surprised no one else has refuted this, but the 904 originally came with the four-cam 4 cyliner motor. SOME (few) were later treated to a six, but it was not the original motor. Now, Carrera Six on the other hand........

That's why I use a 2.0 ltr 4 cyl engine in my 904 replica.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.