Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- favorite Southern Rock Band
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Neal
Time to start a new thread, who is you favorite southern rock band.

Mine is ZZ Top
Favorite song Beer Drinkers Hell Rasiers aktion035.gif
tat2dphreak
Lynyrd Skynyrd!!!

song: gimme 3 steps!

ZZ is great too!
TimT
hehehe............. Pearl Necklace!

I alway did love The Allmans, and Marshal Tucker Band
SirAndy
can you clarify "Southern"? i'm new here ... laugh.gif
TimT
hmmmmmmmm I guess Southern Rock was a genre popular in the '70 to late 80's, most bands came from the southern US ie texas, the southeast etc..
Aaron Cox
gotta be skynard.

the guitar in freebird aktion035.gif

zz top is allright- thank you!
914werke
Dont forgit Molly Hatchet cool.gif
Neal
I grew up practicing my drums to southern rock so it has a special place in my heart. Marshall Tuckers "Can't you see" is my next favorite song.
Best concert was at the Paramount Theater in Seattle it was the Outlaws opening for Lynyrd Skynyrd when Lynyrd was playing Freebird the 3 guitarists
from the Outlaws joined them on stage it was a religious experience.
I forgot to mention Johnny Winter (Rock and Roll huchie Coo)
Jeff Bonanno
saw the allman bros in nyc - they absolutely blew the doors off the concert hall! what a jam!

jbb
Jeroen
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 24 2004, 01:03 AM)
can you clarify "Southern"? i'm new here ... laugh.gif

I think they mean "redneck"
biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Eddie Williams
Edgar and Johny Winter are from my neck of the woods. Port Arthur, Texas. Janis Joplin too. They have a big b-day bash for her this weekend as a matter of fact. The Museum of the GUlf Coast has a replica of her 356, pretty cool.
tmp914
Blackfoot and Donnie and Marie laugh.gif
redshift
I don't listen to music.

M
Neal
Did you mean the Blackfoot with Ricky Medlock playing lead quitar ?
That guy could shred !

Neal
Curvie Roadlover
Allman Brothers aktion035.gif mueba.gif dance.gif
Uncle Richy
ZZ. No better southern rock song than La Grange.
Uncle Richy
opps.
URY914
The Outlaws-"Green grass and high tides"

They were a Tampa band that made it.

Paul
scottb
ok, who has heard of....

THE BEAT FARMERS!!!!!!!!! mueba.gif pray.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif MDB2.gif aktion035.gif smilie_rolli_1.gif dance.gif givemebeer.gif drunk.gif
redshift
Dixie Dregs, I mean, someone here has to be a little ecle... eclec... different.

M
Eric_Shea
I think it's "highly" debatable as to wether or not ZZ is to be categorized as a "Southern Rock" band. They are one of the best Texas Blues Rock bands I've heard and frankly (or is that Frank Beardly) one of the best Blues Rock bands (and just plain ole best Rock bands) ever, but not a Southern Rock band (in my book) hence my vote goes with my fellow Michigander...

Allman Brothers.

Hard to beat that one...
URY914
Any one heard of "The Whitehoods"?
Big in the '50's and '60's, then they had to go underground. wink.gif

Paul
TimT
aktion035.gif Yea Dixie Dregs, I saw them a few times in a lil place in Amityville

Then there was thes Allman Bros, Grateful Dead thing at some racetrack.... Watkins Glen... yea thats it.... tunez.gif tunez.gif tunez.gif tunez.gif aktion035.gif
markb
CDB

(Charlie Daniels Band)
Joe Bob
Marshall Tucker.... fighting19.gif
redshift
I see Greg Allman occasionally, I'll mention the fans. (I won't say anything about our cars though.. heh)

So, Holly lives in Hialeah FL, and it's about 6pm, and there comes a thunderous crash, she runs outside to see Greg coming across the yard, bare feet, from what's left of a 87 vette parked where the telephone pole used to be. laugh.gif He lived there for a couple weeks.

Dickey likes my Les Pauls. smile.gif

You can't get away from the Allmans, at least I can't.

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 23 2004, 09:48 PM)
Dixie Dregs, I mean, someone here has to be a little ecle... eclec... different.

M

the dregs are good!!

here's a southern band that rhox!!
REVEREND HORTON HEAT!!!!

saw them in lubbock a few years ago... they abso-fuckin-lutley rocked!!!
URY914
Allman Brothers-"Eat A Peach" so named because Duane Allman ran into the back of a peach truck on his scooter and was killed.
URY914
How about Sea Level.
Chuck Levell and who else from the Allmans?

Paul
East coaster
Limp Biz-kit!!! Hey they're from Jackonville......For you Dixie Dregs guys, I met Steve Morrisey(sp?) and he's a really cool dude. He's a fellow pilot and owns and old Mexican military jet.
redshift
Hey man, Tattoo Bob did most of my stuff, when we'd play Macon, we'd eat at the Soup Kitchen, where they all used to eat, and then drive over to Rose Hill Cemetary to have drinks with Berry, and Duane, we'd play Melissa, and One Way Out, and when we'd get really lit up, I'd start screaming Whippin Post.

Sometimes I feel...

The Allmans were never better than at the Filmore.

M
J P Stein
Flat & Scruggs
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 23 2004, 09:30 PM)
Flat & Scruggs

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

southern rock barf.gif
LS6/914
ZZ TOP, Manic Mechanic. Sea Level? you mean with Jimmy Nalls, Lamar Williams? Its time to retire to the garage and the stacks of old albums aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Joe Bob
Come listen to a story about a man named Jed.....poor Mountaineer, barely kept his family fed....then one day he was shootin' at sum fud and up come up, a bubblin' crude...oil dat is.....black gold.....Texas tea......
URY914
kin folk said, Jed move away from here, so they loaded up the truck, and moved to Beverly, Hills that is, swimin' pools, movie stars...
redshift
Crackheads!

The Beverly Hillbillies!

-banjo plays-

Joke: If you drop a banjo, and a mandolin from the Empire State Building, which one hits first?

M

A:who cares?
soloracer
Best southern rock band? Ummmm...how about anything put out by the banjo player in Deliverance? bootyshake.gif Squeeeeel like a pig....... bootyshake.gif
Mike D.
DUDES...

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - aktion035.gif

I also partial to the musical stylings of "SCOTS" - Souther Culture On The Skids - with songs like "Fried Chicken and Gasoline" and "8 Piece Box"...

Oh yeah... beer.gif drunk.gif
redshift
All you guys think electric blues and southern rock are the same thing?

smile.gif

CAR BUFFS!

M
swood
Poison. 'nuff said.
Neal
I agree that some of these bands are not Southern Rock but because the south is blues and country based then all these bands are (Southern) rock/blues...etc
If it makes you want to run into a brick wall then it's southern rock...
nuf said
Bruce Allert
I saw Black Oak Arkansas when they debut'd with Iron Butterfly in Portland. HOT "N Nasty was really hot. Dem boys kin ROCK. Jim Dandy was Gud! Really Gud beerchug.gif

OH! OH! OH!
what about Hay Seed Dixie? Now there's sum rock pick'n banjo shee-it EEEEEEEE-Ha

...........b
J P Stein
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 23 2004, 08:16 PM)
Best southern rock band? Ummmm...how about anything put out by the banjo player in Deliverance? bootyshake.gif

Ayup, he's a gud ole boy from New Yark City, name of
Eric Wiseberg....the geetar picker was Marshal Brickman....or I may have that backwards...go figure.
URY914
Southern Rock makes you what to get a mullet cut, drink beer and always refer to your wife/girlfriend as "My ol' lady". Also, if your house has wheels under it, you're prob'ly a Southern Rock fan.

Paul
maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 24 2004, 04:09 AM)
Also, if your house has wheels under it, you're prob'ly a Southern Rock fan.

You mean if you keep your spare wheels in the basement? laugh.gif

Mike
maf914
Hey, Miles,

Did you know Greg Allman owns a big house over in Richmond Hill? No one has seen Cher though.

Mike
72914S
No one said anything about "38 SPECIAL"
Joe Bob
QUOTE(72914S @ Jan 24 2004, 05:45 AM)
No one said anything about "38 SPECIAL"

Yeah.....there's a reason for that..... blink.gif
rhodyguy
the Amazing Rhythm Aces. i would add the Blasters but they prob don't count as southern.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.