Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EBay Warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike's2nd914
Doug Hughes of Conneciticut (sp) is a dead beat. He Won the auction on my '74 914 and has backed out because he does not understand that 1974 cars do not have titles in Alabama, just registration. WARNING WARNING!!!!! ar15.gif
Qarl
Pardon my ingnorance, but this is the first time I've heard of a state not offering titles on cars.

Although I've only owned/purchased cars from CA, GA, and Florida, they have all had titles.

I would probably seem standoffish if I bought a car from someone and they said there wasn't a title, state law or not.
TimT
Its not unheard of for cars to not have titles (in some states)

I think here in NY they did not Title cars until after 1975.

My '69 911 has no title

So Im not surprised to hear that other states didnt start titling cars until the mid 1970's.....
Mueller
I wouldn't consider that a deadbeat buyer unless you specificly stated in your ad that the car does not come with a title.

Being from a state that has titles for our cars, I too would have backed out from fear of buying a hot or unregisterable car.

I say go easy on the guy, repost the ad and in big letters explain the deal.
914werke
Thats a new one on me as well. If states dont provide a title What is/was the proof of ownership?
GWN7
Without a title US Customs wouldn't let your car out of the states (Nor would Canada Customs let it in) The title to the car is pruf of ownership. Without it I would have not bid, but I would have asked first.

I'm betting that the guy who bid on it might have trouble getting it registered in his home state without the title.

Relist with mentioning that no title is available. Or get one from your state issuer.
TimT
Without a title US Customs wouldn't let your car out of the states

Lemme try this again...

There was a time when cars did not have titles...

In NY titles started to be issued in 1975 (I believe), Im sure many other states started issuing titles around the same time...if they didnt before 1975.

There is no title for my 1969 Porshe 911, There is no title for my 1970 Porsrsche 911... there is a title for my 1975 Porsche 914...

I would check with the state where the car is currently locate about title requirements.

I wouldnt be surpised at all if a 1974 car from Alabama doesnt have a title...

Also they ebay buyer should check connecticuts DMV and see if he can register an old car w/o title
Rouser
Titles are matters of revenue and ownership, and have nothing to do with vehicle registration. Titles may not have been required for vehicles '74 and below, but Bill of Sale and paying taxes on them were.

Go to the ADOR - Motor Vehicle Division site and submit a Request for Motor Vehicle Records. Either that, or contact them and find out what documentation is provided to an individual to satisfy a sale going out-of-state.
d914
in the southern state, and others???, bill of sale only for older cars.
Part Pricer
I hope that Doug Hughes of Conneciticut (sp) realizes that Connecticut does not issue titles for older cars as well. In Connecticut, they are sold, transferred and registered with a bill of sale only.

In our lovely state, you can show up at DMV with a bill of sale for any 914 written on a napkin and register it if you have proof of insurance.
914werke
What a Country laugh.gif
eldiosyeldiablo
A title was not required for my '74 2.0 here in GA. I have the one that MikeZ sent me just incase though.

-David
crash914
No titles on cars older than 1988 here in new Hampshire....all you need is a bill of sale and cash for the registration......
Eric_Shea
Who wants to buy a 91 Honda Accord w/o a title?

Offers over a grand. smile.gif
GWN7
Does it have a broken side window & stearing collum? cool.gif
Eric_Shea
Nope... craked front windshield is about it.

Wife bought it from a co-worker in Fla. Long story.

Got a bill of sale. No title.
kafermeister
Kentucky requires vehicles to have titles. No matter what year. If you don't have a title, you can sign an affidavit stating that you didn't steal the car and they'll issue you a "salvage" title. Some states call it a rebuilders title, rebuilt title, etc...

In addition to needing a title, out of state cars being transferred into state must be fully functional, roadworthy vehicles in order to transfer the title.

RantOn:
I bought a '67 Beetle over a year ago that came from Tenn. I've gone round-and-round with the sheriff’s office. They won't inspect the car unless I make it a running driving car. You can't transfer a title unless a sheriff has inspected the vehicle. You've got to jump through allot of hoops to please these folks. In KY, there is a loop hole that states if the car is at least 25 years old, then it can be brought in as a 'collector car' and a title-only (no plates) transfer is done. The car still gets inspected but it doesn't happen until you go to register for plates (after you've restored it). Unfortunately, the individual at the courthouse has never heard of this. The crusty geezer still thinks I'm trying to do something illegal. I think he just doesn't like furrin cars. I bought a rusty old GMC truck from Ohio a few months ago and he had no problems with it. It's less safe than the Beetle was. headbang.gif

/RantOff:

Rick
jarbuthnot
When I went to register my 'new' 914 in September, I was surprised to find out Maine does not do titles for cars over a certain age. The law changed within the last two years.
Brett W
IN Alabama they did not start titleing cars until 1975. My 73 has no title justa bill of sale and tag reciepts. In theory if you wanted to register a stolen pre 75 car all you would have to do is make up a bill of sale. and go register it under your name.
Mike T
As a former New York state resident I can say this: cars older than 1973, in NYS, did not have titles. Cars 1973 and newer do have titles in NYS. There are 2 halves to the vehicle registration card. (A small scrap of paper maybe 2"x6" long). There is a perforated line down the center of this document. One 1/2 is marked "renewal/transfer" or "transfer stub". When you sold one of these cars you transfered ownership by signing the "transfer half" and giving it to the new owner. These facts are easily confirmed by contacting the DMV of the state in question.

Mike T
Mike's2nd914
Been out of town since I posted the warning on the deadbeat!! Yes, he is still a deadbeat.

As far as trying to work with him, I call the DMV in his home state (Conneticuit) and spoke with a person there who confirmed that there was no problem, they did not have titles for cars prior to 1981 and that all he needed was the tag receipt and a bill of sale. I emailed the deadbeat and gave him the person I spoke with's name and phone number and the information she provided so he could confirm it. He emailed me back that he was afraid of being burned and has not responded since.

Oh well, anyone want to buy a '74 2.0?
redshift
List it here in the classified if you haven't already.

I have a tiltle, but I didn't use it.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.