Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I want to polish out the anodized center caps. I did one, but it took a hour or so. Was wondering if I'm using the right stuff

Here's a pic of the stuff I used and beg/end; also, how hard should I push against the buffing wheel and how frequently should I reload??
pete-stevers
that anodizing is tough stuff
i am sure if you take it off before taking it to the wheel you may have more success as far as polising time....but i am not sure of the chemicals to use, i think a lye is what you need but i could be wrong
geniusanthony
I have heard but never tried to use Easy-Off oven cleaner for removing anodizing. The Yellow can , Original, Full strength, heavy duty, Whatever its called
Krieger
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Jun 8 2008, 06:18 PM) *

I have heard but never tried to use Easy-Off oven cleaner for removing anodizing. The Yellow can , Original, Full strength, heavy duty, Whatever its called

agree.gif
I used easy-off for the wheels. The caps I glass beaded, sanded with 220/400 then polished.
jim_hoyland
Thanks for the info. Don't have a beader, but I'll try the easy-off on the 2nd one
computers4kids
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jun 8 2008, 04:07 PM) *

i am sure if you take it off before taking it to the wheel you may have more success as far as polising time....but i am not sure of the chemicals to use, i think a lye is what you need but i could be wrong

agree.gif Easyoff works great...becareful about breathing the fumes (even if it says fumeless).
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 8 2008, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jun 8 2008, 04:07 PM) *

agree.gif Easyoff works great...becareful about breathing the fumes (even if it says fumeless).

Do you just put it on and wipe it off ? What is the best technique ? I want to leave the black anodizing in the crest for contrast.
Krieger
You need to let it set for a while. Do it in the shade. It may be difficult not getting in the center. You could spray the can in its cap and brush it on, or just strip it entirely and repaint center black.
jim_hoyland
The Oven Off really works good ! Covered the crest with tape, I want to keep the recessed area anodized; spayed the oven-off onto the caps; wait 10 minutes; Presto, all the black is gone. Ready for the polish.....
Pat Garvey
The Horror!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.