Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will the 2.0 engine wiring harness plug into the 1.7 console?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
Hi,

I got my 76 2.0 engine home. As I was unloading it I was thinking hmm I wonder if the engine harness will plug right into my 72 1.7 console or will I need to change the pin outs.

Anyone know?

BTW if any of you have a 914 that you have to smog I will have a practically new (has fresh paint and a refurb tag on it) smog pump and a cat/muffler set up that you can have for free.

I am pretty jazzed this engine is super clean. the original heat exchangers still in good condition. The guy threw in the fuel pump with the gas tank too. I am all set just need to bolt it all in. Oh yea clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing all included too. I really lucked out on this deal.

Larry
r_towle
All the same wires are there, and all the same pinout.
The problem is that the location of some of the sensors is different based upon the different shape of the plenums...

It may work.

Rich
Krieger
It might not. biggrin.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Jun 8 2008, 08:37 PM) *

It might not. biggrin.gif

LOL guess I will bolt it in and see how it goes then beerchug.gif my biggest fear was to hose the ecm though.
computers4kids
QUOTE(LarryR @ Jun 8 2008, 05:47 PM) *

Hi,

I got my 76 2.0 engine home. As I was unloading it I was thinking hmm I wonder if the engine harness will plug right into my 72 1.7 console or will I need to change the pin outs.

Anyone know?

BTW if any of you have a 914 that you have to smog I will have a practically new (has fresh paint and a refurb tag on it) smog pump and a cat/muffler set up that you can have for free.

I am pretty jazzed this engine is super clean. the original heat exchangers still in good condition. The guy threw in the fuel pump with the gas tank too. I am all set just need to bolt it all in. Oh yea clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing all included too. I really lucked out on this deal.

Larry

Larry,
I presume you have the 76 ECU it's unique and will need the 051 MPS as well. The throttle switch (idle circuit, fuel shut off) is a bit diff from other 2ltr djets. If you have the engine harness, ECU and MPS it will be an easy one. If you pulling the stock cat off and going to a an aftermarket exhaust you will have to play with the idle mixture...it will be lean and probably hunt on you. You can use common brass caps to cap off the air injection on the heads. Be careful, the 75 and 76 motors are prone to overheating and cracking....buy a cht.
LarryR
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 8 2008, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Jun 8 2008, 05:47 PM) *

Hi,

Anyone know?

Larry

Larry,
I presume you have the 76 ECU it's unique and will need the 051 MPS as well. The throttle switch (idle circuit, fuel shut off) is a bit diff from other 2ltr djets. If you have the engine harness, ECU and MPS it will be an easy one. If you pulling the stock cat off and going to a an aftermarket exhaust you will have to play with the idle mixture...it will be lean and probably hunt on you. You can use common brass caps to cap off the air injection on the heads. Be careful, the 75 and 76 motors are prone to overheating and cracking....buy a cht.

I have the ECU ... I have to admit I have no idea what a MPS is ... I also dont know what the throttle switch is. If it is on the engine I got it ... if not I really dont even know what to look for.

The engine still has the harness on it with the ECU still attached. Other info you can give me on the other parts would be greatly appreciated as if I dont have them I can email the guy I bought the engine from..

Thanks,
Larry
computers4kids
Larry,
I attached a pic of the MPS...it is bolted to the firewall on the passenger side. It is aka the pressure sensor. It senses engine vaccum and turns it into electrical pulses that is conveyed to the ECU (the brain).
Here is the best site to learn about the djet fuel injection on our cars.

The throttle switch is the black box bolted to the top of the throttle body where the air cleaner is attached. No worry, as long as you have matching components: ECU, MPS and throttle switch.
LarryR
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 9 2008, 08:36 PM) *

Larry,
I attached a pic of the MPS...it is bolted to the firewall on the passenger side. It is aka the pressure sensor. It senses engine vaccum and turns it into electrical pulses that is conveyed to the ECU (the brain).
Here is the best site to learn about the djet fuel injection on our cars.

The throttle switch is the black box bolted to the top of the throttle body where the air cleaner is attached. No worry, as long as you have matching components: ECU, MPS and throttle switch.

Thanks for the additional information. I went out and identified the mps after looking at your picture. He even included some set of relays that were also off engine but attached to the engine.

Your old 72 will hit the road again some time this year. It has just sat from the time I picked it up until now. You would not believe how well the paint is coming out. I am just hitting it with light rubbing compound for about 30 minutes every night and it is coming out really good. There are only about 3 or 4 thin spots that will need paint and I am thinking about just having those touched up and it will be like 95% original paint!

looks like you have plenty of projects going on your end too. I have been checking out your v8 thread.

Larry
computers4kids
That's great...I can't wait to see how it turns out. An original black 72 that is structuraly sound---I know will be a great car again someday. I knew I didn't have the time or energy for another project. You got an amazing deal on that engine...the heads alone are worth more than you paid for the entire engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.