Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread Locker or No Thread Locker
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm gonna replace the cv/axle combo on the 951 on Monday or Tuesday. I've got new assemblies (including new hardware) sitting on my front porch (says FedEx). I've also got the 12 point tool from MidAmerica - way cheaper than the P-car places (FedEx says its also on the porch).

I know it's not teener stuff, but it's gotta be the same process, just different. I've heard the driver's side is a bit awkward to remove because of the exhaust's location. I think I'm good to go, and hope it's not a can of worms - I hope to spend the next 3 months or so driving it around the South and Midwest.

My biggest concern at the moment is whether or not to use a thread locker. I've got that really bitchin' stuff that James Adams recommended to me a couple years ago. I think the torque #s are about 30 ft/lbs for the bolts.

Any thoughts? confused24.gif
Krieger
Nah, use the schnor washers(I think they are use in your application), torque,drive for a week or so and check them again
Gint
agree.gif Use new washers and you're good.
Tobra
use the wire locks that Dr Evil has. Bolt is drilled for wire, no way it backs out
Cap'n Krusty
Don't 951s use 10mm fasteners instead of 8mm? And aren't they Allen head instead of triple square? The torque for 10mm socket head bolts is likely to be 56ft/lbs, not 31, and I wouldn't use thread locker. The Cap'n
Wes V
Dang;

When I first saw the title, I thought he was going to ask if his own thread should be locked.

Wes
seanery
They are triple squares. Use the same tool as our teeners. I've got the new harware sitting next to me. It'll be my early am project. I don't have time to wait for the washers. I plan on leaving for three months tomorrow.
Dr Evil
I can always make you a set for your car when you get time wink.gif
seanery
Mike,
I shoulda called you when I first realized I was gonna have to do this. It came as a surprise. I noticed the sound on Saturday and I was planning on leaving last Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm just glad it happened BEFORE my trip wink.gif
seanery
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 9 2008, 10:54 AM) *

Dang;

When I first saw the title, I thought he was going to ask if his own thread should be locked.

Wes

Now that's funny!!! smile.gif
rick 918-S
If you need to reuse the washers be sure to torque the fasteners. I just tightened mine once to where I thought they were good. Went back an hour later and checked with a torque wrench and they were at about 35 lbs... confused24.gif

Have a safe trip.
MartyYeoman
There are just too many good alternatives to using thread locker.
You'll regret using locker the first time you need to remove those bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.