Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 sneaks into 356 show
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
A friend invited me to a local gathering of Porsche 356 owners. My friend was driving an old chevy truck, and I was in my 'ok looking from 30 feet' 914. I assumed the folks directing cars where to park would point me to the same parking area that they directed my friend in the truck to park in. Instead they pointed me to the area where all the 'real' Porsches were parked. Parting the crowd in my 914 as I headed to the grassy area, I felt like I was getting away with something and fully expected people to start pointing at me just like the aliens did to the last humans in the movie 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. However, my 914 was mostly accepted, and from afar I even saw a few folks walk around it as if they had never seen one before.

Anyway, the the host of the party has quite a collection of cars, including a real 914-6. I thought a few people here might enjoy the photos, even if there is very little 914 content.
rjames
__
sixnotfour
Looks like Akers place.
rjames
Looks like Akers place.

Yup!
rjames
__
rjames
__
rjames
__
rjames
__
dw914er
mmm purtie
rjames
__
rjames
A few of my 914 parked next to it's more expensive brothers...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 9 2008, 12:07 AM) *

Looks like Akers place.

agree.gif Only been there a few times when Mark asked me to follow him. Nice place and some very nice cars. Denny is a great guy that has cars I dream of daily.
rjames
A sweet 914-6 hiding in the garage!
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 9 2008, 12:19 AM) *

A few of my 914 parked next to it's more expensive brothers...

I see the resemblance!
rjames
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 9 2008, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 9 2008, 12:07 AM) *

Looks like Akers place.

agree.gif Only been there a few times when Mark asked me to follow him. Nice place and some very nice cars. Denny is a great guy that has cars I dream of daily.
Click to view attachment

The above car was there too, but so many people were standing around it that I couldn't get a good photo.
sixnotfour
Did he have the prop on his Pratt & Whitney radial engine ?

I had to drive to twisp and back today so I didnt make it.
PeeGreen 914
I've actually got to tinker on it... well okay, I held a wrench while Mark and Denny were doing something before the race at the historics. It's really fun seeing Denny run. He generally runs with the big bores, even though the Pooper is a small bore, and he starts at the back of the field and works his way up. Generally finishes first or second too.
rjames
Did he have the prop on his Pratt & Whitney radial engine ?

Yes, pretty wild stuff. There was also a dragster sitting on a trailer that was going to be fired off at some point. Decided to save my hearing and headed home before it happened. smile.gif
tdgray
That's some serious bucks in those pics. WOW
Heeltoe914
Thanks for sharing. Looks to me your car was at home with its other brothers and sisters.
ericread
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

You can tell the 914-6 in the garage is authentic by the oil drip pan under the engine lol3.gif

Root_Werks
Michelle and I dropped in for a few minutes. Didn't hang out too long. Been out of the Porsche social circles for way too long. Only reckongized a few people.

Great event, always a pleasure to see Akers toys. rjames, did you see his spider engine VW Bug? That thing must be a blast to drive.

Also, I noted another hardtoped 356 cab. I have been told the hard tops were a factory option. Very cool and must be very $$$rare$$$.

driving.gif
Tobra
neat, the 914 fits a lot better than the V-12 Jag
rjames
did you see his spider engine VW Bug

I saw the bug, but I didn't think to look at the engine. I had to admit that after about an hour my head started spinning and the cars started to all look the same: shiny and expensive. biggrin.gif

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 9 2008, 09:37 AM) *

I saw the bug, but I didn't think to look at the engine. I had to admit that after about an hour my head started spinning and the cars started to all look the same: shiny and expensive. biggrin.gif

av-943.gif Easy to do at Akers. His shop is always fun to go to as well.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 9 2008, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 9 2008, 09:37 AM) *

av-943.gif Easy to do at Akers. His shop is always fun to go to as well.

I bought a couple of Porsche's from him over the years. Well, one 914 from him and a 944 from one of his techs. Bunch of nice guys that work in his shop. His son (Mark I think?) is still there as well last I heard helping out running the family business. Pretty cool set up.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, Mark is the service writer now. Very nice guy. I'm trying to get him into AXing but he has sooo much track time he just doesn't really know if he wants to.
sixnotfour
how could you miss this ?
Root_Werks
That's what I was thinking! biggrin.gif
rjames
I bought a couple of Porsche's from him over the years. Well, one 914 from him and a 944 from one of his techs. Bunch of nice guys that work in his shop. His son (Mark I think?) is still there as well last I heard helping out running the family business. Pretty cool set up.

My brother in law might buy a 944 that they just finished putting together. We haven't seen it yet, but it's supposed to be in perfect shape, all the usual 944 problem stuff replaced and a top end rebuild.

how could you miss this ?
So that's why the bug had such a crowd around it. headbang.gif biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
I used to have to sneak "Frank" into 356 shows....dunno why?

IPB Image

Here Frank is an AX King.....
IPB Image

PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif Yeah... weird. Why would any 356 guy have a problem with your Frank getting in av-943.gif
Joe Bob
Might have been the sixer in the back....ya know how people can be about "transversions".....dunno, should be protected under some law.

This is when we had some wiring problems....we stopped and had a few beers to think about it. It was cold outside so we peed on the fender....

IPB Image
jimtab
Hey, was that red car a porsche/cooper? Nice little cars....also, was an old guy there with an original GS in silver...we saw it at the Historics during the 2006 gathering in Portland......very nice, and original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.