Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
jd74914
Looks great!

Just out or curiosity, why did you go the custom route rather than with a Bussman RFRM/RTMR or Littelfuse HWB combination fuse/relay block?

IPB Image IPB Image
plymouth37
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 30 2016, 06:08 PM) *

Looks great!

Just out or curiosity, why did you go the custom route rather than with a Bussman RFRM/RTMR or Littelfuse HWB combination fuse/relay block?

I had a specific number of relays and fuses that I needed to house which none of the standard blocks had, and already had a mount installed so the custom route made more sense.
I like to geek out on wiring too and didn't want to miss out on the fun of wiring this!
thieuster
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 31 2016, 12:51 AM) *

What planet are you from? Seriously, every aspect of this car is just incredible. smilie_pokal.gif

Nicely said what I was thinking - well, I wasn't thinking this: I was still looking for my lower jaw on the floor. I dropped the jaw in a moment of total awesomeness...

Are you sure you want to remain an architect for the rest of your life? Architect, inventor, engineer... There was this man in Florence/Firenze, Italy when I visited the town last summer. I think his name was Leonardo...

Menno

EdwardBlume
Yeah, just build your own fuse box and wire a 914 for the enjoyment!

Friggin awesome. This world is going to need you someday! pray.gif
plymouth37
Well it took couple days but I finished wiring the board!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I removed the jig in preparation for the final plate.
Click to view attachment

I laser cut the final iteration of the base plate out of black acrylic, I countersunk the hardware and mocked everything up, along with a template for the top cover.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 30 2016, 04:37 PM) *

Why doesn't this standard of innovation surprise me? Superb!

Glad to see you posting Dane. Will The Anklebiter move on it's own power this year?

I sure hope so, I am focusing on finishing critical drivetrain systems now which consist roughly of:

finishing the wiring harness
welding in new fuel tank bungs
painting the tranny
replacing/resurfacing clutch components
throttle/clutch cables
restoring and assembling the suspension
checking and torqueing every nut and bolt on the car
and probably 10 other things I have forgotten

It would be great to at least have it running by end of year, moving might or might not be possible, I will do my best!
plymouth37
I drew up the file for the face plate. Since I have access to a Laser cutter I used this file to not only cut out the face plate but to cut out masking tape for back painting as well.
Click to view attachment

Here you can see the finished result, by strategically removing layers of the laser cut masking tape you can layer the paint on the back of the clear sheet creating the result below. The faceplate also locks the relay plugs in place. I decided to connect the common power and ground leads to studs rather than hidden hardware so I have a reliable power source to tap into if I need one.
Click to view attachment

I used the standard federal automotive icons for continuity but swapped out the normal fan icon for the radiator fans because it looked better.
Click to view attachment

Now all I have left is to trim the hardware and mount the board, I will buy mounting hardware today and see how it looks in the car.
Click to view attachment
effutuo101
Just wow.
wingnut86
Dane,

Sending you a PM...
NS914
Dane, I had to laugh....geeking out on wiring....I love it....I have been lazy as heck with other volunteer stuff taking up all my free time...Spring has sprung here in Nova Scotia so I am back at it.

The stock location for the fuse panel is just a pain so I too am going to move mine...congratulations on new family and car too!
[/quote]
Ferg
w00t.gif

You are insane pray.gif
plymouth37
Here is the panel mounted in the car:
Click to view attachment

And with the gas tank in place:
Click to view attachment

Now to plug it in! I bought a 22 pin Delphi Weatherpack bulkhead connector to run through to the interior. With only one plug swapping out brains will be easy if I decide to change or upgrade anything.
Click to view attachment

And all wired up, ready to go in the car!
Click to view attachment

Well this portion of the harness is finished, time to move to the interior!
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
So here is the other side of the bulkhead connector:
Click to view attachment

And here is my updated diagram on how the relay board needs to be spliced unto the existing harness:
Click to view attachment
wingnut86
I had a fellow avionics technician I worked with back in 1985 in Shreveport, LA. He had his 72' bug wired with a single through-hole hubbel style plug, courtesy of a B52 parts scrap bin. I helped him pull his motor once, we had it out from ignition disconnect in under 12 minutes or similar - I was shocked with how well it worked. I had a 66' Ghia that I was rigging for similar when I got a cash offer I couldn't refuse.

You'll appreciate the ease with which you can do service, especially on a cold floor in mid-winter;-)
plymouth37
I just had to share the state of affairs, what a rats nest!
I think I have the 914 wiring harness (or at least my interpretation of it) just about memorized.

Click to view attachment
2mAn
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 30 2016, 08:42 PM) *

I like to geek out on wiring too and didn't want to miss out on the fun of wiring this!

quoted for the insanity!

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 14 2016, 09:02 AM) *

w00t.gif

You are insane pray.gif

exactly how I feel.

Dane, I've shared this thread with other forums and believe it or not theres a TON of people waiting to see this car finished. Wiring is always where I stall out, glad to see you geek out at this point. just dont take too long!
not_hans_stuck
How have I never seen this thread?

This is a fantastic build. So, listen up, I set the standard over on Pelican for how you're supposed to start and finish your thread. (Go look them up - same username)

With a build this awesome and a thread this long, you simply have to finish it.

Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Hal
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(not_hans_stuck @ Jul 5 2016, 12:44 PM) *

This is a fantastic build. So, listen up, I set the standard over on Pelican for how you're supposed to start and finish your thread. (Go look them up - same username)

Hal

Who are you? What standard and where is the link? We are too lazy to search pelican...
restore2seater
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 5 2016, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(not_hans_stuck @ Jul 5 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Hal

Who are you? What standard and where is the link? We are too lazy to search pelican...

Possibly these 2 threads.

RSR LS Conversion

DIY IROC RSR Conversion
plymouth37
Thanks for the kind words guys, progress has been slow, wiring takes forever but I will keep plugging away at this thing!

Well the rat's nest has been cleared and sorted, I wired the existing car harness into the interior half of the bulkhead connector.
Click to view attachment

Then I routed what remains of the stock harness through the rest of the car.
Click to view attachment

i am not wiring up the cabin yet, i want to focus on getting the engine running first.
Click to view attachment

The harness has been run into the engine bay, ready to connect my next project, the WRX computer and engine harness.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here is the WRX wiring harness, as you can see it is about 10 feet longer than it needs to be. I will trim and shorten it in the future but I know it works as it is so I will leave it until I have a running engine to test it with.
Click to view attachment

I am thinking I will mount the computer and the excess wiring harness in a compartment I build around the back of the firewall bulge.
Click to view attachment

I organized the harness in a way that should fit in the space provided,
Click to view attachment

I had to make 3 big loops around the ECU to take up the slack.
Click to view attachment
914forme
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 9 2016, 01:53 AM) *

Dana great work as usual, I was walking around Goodguys Columbus Nationals today and thought about how I would rather look at your build than most of the cars i saw today.

Now one question.

What the hell is this still doing in this build?

Click to view attachment

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris' products. And they have there place. This car needs a Subaru MT5 in its back end, and a cable shifter. We have a bunch of these in various conversion cars, and I would love to see your build skills being put to use on an MT5.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 9 2016, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 9 2016, 01:53 AM) *

Dana great work as usual, I was walking around Goodguys Columbus Nationals today and thought about how I would rather look at your build than most of the cars i saw today.

Now one question.

What the hell is this still doing in this build?

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris' products. And they have there place. This car needs a Subaru MT5 in its back end, and a cable shifter. We have a bunch of these in various conversion cars, and I would love to see your build skills being put to use on an MT5.

agree.gif maybe not to get it on a he road if you already have the 901 parts but in time, I think the suby trans is the logical upgrade.
plymouth37
Unfortunately now is not the time to change huge things like a tranny, in the future definitely. It will be drivable in the relatively near future and the detour of changing drivetrains at this point would kill this project. Lucky the rear half of the car is replaceable, so nothing is permanent. Once I have play money upgrades will be implemented on the entire car, I just need it to move under its own power first.

Cairo94507
Hi Dana - So glad to see you making progress on your car. One of my absolute favorite builds. Good luck.
914forme
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 10 2016, 12:01 AM) *

Unfortunately now is not the time to change huge things like a tranny, in the future definitely. It will be drivable in the relatively near future and the detour of changing drivetrains at this point would kill this project. Lucky the rear half of the car is replaceable, so nothing is permanent. Once I have play money upgrades will be implemented on the entire car, I just need it to move under its own power first.

Sounds like a great answer to me, carry on love the build
rgalla9146
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 9 2008, 09:15 PM) *

Get a stump boy laugh.gif Stump, ball peen hammer, oxy acetylene torch and a cigar is all any good body man needs slap.gif

The cigar comes first.
plymouth37
Sorry for not posting in a while, rest assured, progress continues!

I got the ECU and engine harness wired into the car and engine.
Click to view attachment

In addition to attaching the engine to the ECU I also attached the car harness to the ECU as well as a custom rear wiring harness.
Click to view attachment

Here is the rear wiring harness I built, it attaches to the intake sensors, starter, reverse switch, speed sensor, and rear lights.
Click to view attachment

This is hard to represent properly but here is the state of affairs, I now know the wrx wiring harness by memory, but engine wiring is just about done!
Click to view attachment

Here you can see the rear harness, plugged into the intake sensors and waiting for a tranny to wire up. Also refurbished the adapter plate and installed it, clutch is on its way!
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I needed to start wiring up the battery cables, but wasn't close enough to starting the engine to buy a battery so I decided to make a battery mockup. I started by modeling an Odyssey 680 based on images
Click to view attachment

Then I 3D printed it.
Click to view attachment

I painted the print and installed the proper threads into it.
Click to view attachment

Here is the Battery Mount.
Click to view attachment

Finally I installed it in a clear spot on the firewall, low, opposite the driver, hidden by the air cleaner. I then ran the harness for the passenger side of the engine and battery cables to the chassis, starter, and wiring harness.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
I finally got all of the parts of my new clutch setup. New kennedy kevlar disk, new stage 2 pressor plate, and a resurfaced flywheel. I will install them and hopefully the tranny this weekend!
Click to view attachment

I found a great local machinist, look at this beautiful work!
Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Dane your work is incredible. You keep raising the bar!
Ferg
Nice work Dana

beerchug.gif
plymouth37
Flywheel is in!
Click to view attachment

Pressure plate and disk are in too.
Click to view attachment

Tranny goes in tomorrow!
Click to view attachment
wingnut86
Dana,

You should earn "914 Emerald Points" or similar. How many times have you moved that dream across the US? 3 or 4?

It looks great as usual.

Dave
matthepcat
Since 2008 when this project started, WRX transmissions have become common on conversion cars. Did you ever think of ditching the Kennedy adapter and 901 for a Subaru trans with a cable shifter?
plymouth37
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 27 2016, 01:32 PM) *

Since 2008 when this project started, WRX transmissions have become common on conversion cars. Did you ever think of ditching the Kennedy adapter and 901 for a Subaru trans with a cable shifter?

Yes, I feel like that is all people want to talk about on this thread. Check out the previous page for my most recent answer to this question, or the page before that to see the previous time I answered this. A new tranny really isn't a priority right now.
matthepcat
Sorry. popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Nov 27 2016, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 27 2016, 01:32 PM) *

Yes, I feel like that is all people want to talk about on this thread. Check out the previous page for my most recent answer to this question, or the page before that to see the previous time I answered this. A new tranny really isn't a priority right now.

plymouth37
No problem, just trying to get this thing on the road!

I installed the tranny to prove that I am embracing this inferior technology, at least for now.
Click to view attachment

Time to start wiring it up!
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I installed the tranny to prove that I am embracing this inferior technology, at least for now.

not many cars had a 5spd in the 70s..time marches on
plymouth37
Tranny is wired up!
Click to view attachment

Starter and relay:
Click to view attachment

Speed sensor:
Click to view attachment

Ground strap, and plugs for rear lights:
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Kind of a shame to cover up all this fine art with body work.

wub.gif
76-914
Yea, It's a work of Art; it needs to go to a Museum. It's too clean to drive on a dirty road. beerchug.gif
speed metal army
Man! I haven't been around here lately..But I am stoked to see this project activity! Love this thing. beerchug.gif
plymouth37
I had a couple people pm me asking about about tranny paint, this is the paint I am using throughout the car, I have found it to be very durable, and looks great.
It is available for aerosol and paint guns, I have used both on the car with good success.
Usually cheapest (but not cheap) directly from Eastwood.
Click to view attachment

To repaint the tranny I started by cleaning it with soft wire and fiber wheels.
Click to view attachment

Then premiered with Eastwood black primer.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here are some higher quality images of the Alumablast finish, clear coating is optional, I chose not to.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Michel
Reading this thread... Second honeymoon
quadracerx
How many cans of primer and aluma blast paint did it take to do your transaxle?

Thanks,

Steve
rick72_914
Just found this thread today, man I wish I had seen this years ago. Mine has been sitting in my dads barn for 10yrs and this is defiantly an inspiration!
plymouth37
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Dec 6 2016, 08:26 AM) *

How many cans of primer and aluma blast paint did it take to do your transaxle?

Thanks,

Steve

2 cans of each should be plenty, I did 2 coats of both primer and paint.
plymouth37
I am going to give the WRX fuel pump controller a shot, I didn't use it when I had the car running before, it delivers variable voltage to the pump based on engine need, and shuts the pump off after a couple seconds when the ignition is on and you haven't started the car.
Click to view attachment

Here it is installed, I also wired up the pump, As far as I can tell I think all of the wiring needed to start the car is done. Radiator and everything up front is wired as well. I will get some test runs under its belt then shorten the excess length out of harness and wrap everything. Eventually I will build a cover for all of this.
Click to view attachment

All of the dash wiring is good to go, and ignition and starter buttons are wired up for testing.
Click to view attachment

Looks like the chassis wiring is fairly done, here are the leftovers, nice to cull this amount of chaos and weight out of the car!
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.