Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
plymouth37
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GiV_jFGDxI

It was a bad coil wire connection!
914forme
piratenanner.gif

Also thank you for the tip on the AN fittings

The -8 is located here, LATEST RAGE 201209-8 You just change the -6 or -8 depending on what you want or wish to use.
Spoke
Awesome build! Can't wait to see it buzzing around.
plymouth37
I sanded and painted the dash.
Click to view attachment

Now that I have a running engine I need gauges to keep an eye on it!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
All nice and clean!
Click to view attachment

I will probably get a gauge upgrade once I start focusing more on the interior, these will work for now!
Click to view attachment
Krieger
piratenanner.gif Congratulations on the first firing! That thing sounds good!
plymouth37
I broke out the flaring tool and bender, time to finish the brake system!
Click to view attachment

I made and fitted the missing firewall lines.
Click to view attachment

They connect to the rear lines at the separation point near the firewall, lot of systems bundled here, that radiator hose may need some insulation.
I filled up the system with brake fluid, bled the system, brakes are done!
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Aug 26 2017, 03:54 PM) *

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GiV_jFGDxI

It was a bad coil wire connection!

BADASS!!!!
Cairo94507
Congratulations on firing that engine - sounded good. smilie_pokal.gif
plymouth37
Time to tackle controls! I broke out the torch and bent up a shifter.
Click to view attachment

I used a 1/4" rod as a template, then bent the shifter rod to match.
Click to view attachment

Mocked up the splined ends, the ends are in line with each other, with an engine shaped detour in the middle.
Click to view attachment

All welded, painted, and ready to install!
Click to view attachment
Ferg
You are going to paint it brown right? laugh.gif popcorn[1].gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 31 2017, 03:24 PM) *

You are going to paint it brown right? laugh.gif popcorn[1].gif

Maybe! Put in a nice plaid interior, why not?
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Shifter rod is in, I adjusted the shifter and have it dialed in pretty well.
Throttle, clutch, and speedometer cables are in as well.
Still some work to do here but this chassis is pretty darn complete!

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Sweet. I can't wait to see that going down the street. smilie_pokal.gif
tmckenna
I just read this entire thread, and WOW just WOW. Everything is so well done, the car seems incredible. Ive always dreamed of building a (semi) street legal, tube chassis, LS powered, mid engine car and was looking into the 914 for feasibility. I'm super impressed, hope you made some progress since september. Id love to see some videos of this thing at the track someday, I'm sure it'll be hard to beat considering the power, weight, and suspension setup. Awesome job man keep it up beerchug.gif
2mAn
I dont frequent 914world much anymore, but I still get notifications on this thread and everytime I come back, Im just shocked at the build...

I also watched Leno driving Eric Sheas car last night and the urge is coming back... Luckily I dont have a garage to stuff a 914 into... yet smile.gif
plymouth37
Hey everybody, fear not, I haven't forgot about you or this build. We bought our first house in August and that kind of derailed the car build, but here we go, time to get back to it!

Now that the car is reliably running it is time to tear into the WRX engine wiring harness, This may look pretty tidy but in reality there is about 10 extra feet of harness wrapped around in here, time to get out the wire cutters and shorten it to fit!
Click to view attachment

I started with the brown main plug in the engine harness, this holds the power and trigger wires for the injectors and coils, as well as a series of ground wires from the ecu. I shortened it by about 10' and soldered and shrink wrapped the connections.
Click to view attachment

I wanted to wait to do this until the engine ran so i could start up the engine and check the codes as I modified the harness be able to catch a problem as i did it rather than after cutting literally every wire that controls the engine. I finished the Brown plug, it fired up well, no extra codes, here is how much extra wire I am dealing with here. Next I shortened the black plug's wires, these hold the sensor leads and grounds. There is an extra gray plug as well that has the cam and crank sensor wires that I merged into unused spots in the black plug so now I only have 2 main plugs leading to the engine.
Click to view attachment

I also removed the stock WRX fuel and ignition relays and replaced them with a new relay panel I fabbed up. These power the two main ignition circuits for the engine as well as the fuel pump.
Click to view attachment

Here is a view of how it is shaping up from the top.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here you can see the 2 main plugs and the wires waiting to be spliced.
Click to view attachment

It is starting to look manageable!
Click to view attachment

And here is the final product, looks a heck of a lot better, I think the car runs better too. Best part was actually taking the time to understand how this system works, i didn't blindly cut and splice, I got a wiring diagram and figured it out which was really rewarding, this was one of the last big chunks of the car i really didn't understand or want to mess with.
Next I will fab up a cover and wrap everything up for real.
Click to view attachment

Here is a side view, boy do i have room for a few extra cylinders in there or what?
Click to view attachment

Well I think that brings an end to the cleaning and modifying of the entire cars harness, I added my newly culled wires to the pile, I have cut so much wire out of this thing!
Click to view attachment
effutuo101
Nice!
Cairo94507
This is a great build thread. smilie_pokal.gif
EdwardBlume
and a well earned bottle cap in the wiring to celebrate.... beer3.gif
Charlesforfun
wow. just. wow. I just finished taking my engine out for the first time, have to replace some piston rings. It took me just about an entire weekend just to get the type 4 out of there. sad.gif

Mueller
Impressive work as always on this build.
KELTY360
So, have you calculated the weight savings yet? shades.gif

Congrats on buying a house; no small feat in this market. Are you still in Snoqualmie?
plymouth37
One of the last big tasks I had for the suspension was putting bushings in the rocker arms, previously there was just a 1/2" hole with a bolt through it.
Click to view attachment

I drilled out a hole in the rocker and welded in a sleeve, then put in the bushings.
These rocker arms are definitely prototypes, I want to drive the car to see what they do, then reevaluate from there, I have a CNC at work, Maybe we mill version 2.0...
Click to view attachment

I reinstalled the rocker arms, put on the doors and dropped it back down on its wheels.
Now I am going to run it up to temperature and see if anything blows up...
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 25 2018, 11:43 PM) *

Congrats on buying a house; no small feat in this market. Are you still in Snoqualmie?

Thanks! We actually bought the house we were renting, no moving, no realtor! Same tiny garage sad.gif
JmuRiz
IPB Image
plymouth37
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 6 2018, 10:36 AM) *

IPB Image

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
76-914
wub.gif Such a build! It will be good to see it hit the road. beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 6 2018, 09:31 AM) *

Thanks! We actually bought the house we were renting, no moving, no realtor! Same tiny garage sad.gif

Where are you at Dana? Our shop is in Greenwood off of 79th.
plymouth37
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jun 6 2018, 01:02 PM) *

I am out in Snoqualmie but I work downtown at 4th and Madison, we should get together sometime, been a while!
plymouth37
Well I started running it up to temperature and then I get a little dribble of coolant coming from the Radiator... oh yeah, like 10 years ago when I last drove this thing it started developing a radiator leak, guess a decade of sitting didn't fix it so I guess i need to pull it.
Click to view attachment

Now for an activity my 3 year old was all about, leak hunting! Ran a bath, capped the outlets, time for a dunk!
(Look at that tub ring, my wife was about as happy about this as the time I put the intake manifold in the dishwasher...)
Click to view attachment

Bingo! it was small enough that I had to blow into a coolant hose to build up enough pressure to make it bubble but sure enough here it is!
Click to view attachment

I got so lucky, literally the easiest spot to access. I mixed up some JB Weld and patched it up.
Click to view attachment

Reinstalled my freshly washed and patched radiator, I will give it a day or so to dry and see how it holds!
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
The whale is a nice touch. beerchug.gif
plymouth37
I am sorting out the rear taillight wiring, looks like another thing I forgot didn't work was the reverse lights. Circuit was good but the switch doesn't engage correctly.
Click to view attachment

I pulled the switch and the pin was about the right length, I think there is something a bit funky with the switch but I cut a chunk of an allen wrench a little longer than the pin and after a couple filing sessions I got it dialed in.
Click to view attachment

Reverse light wire gets power when I engage reverse now, one step closer to street legality!
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 6 2018, 03:28 PM) *

I am out in Snoqualmie but I work downtown at 4th and Madison, we should get together sometime, been a while!

That would be great. There is a number of cool places in the area. Just say when. beerchug.gif
plymouth37
Okay, so a lot of you know the body to this car is still in storage in Wyoming, I am going to retrieve it later this summer, but I think this chassis is ready to start testing now, so I have a plan, a bolt on "bumper" that includes all of the bits to make it "street legal" biggrin.gif I cut up some steel stock using an old license plate as a jig.
Click to view attachment

Welded it up and used the stock tranny exhaust mounting points to hang it
Click to view attachment

Then painted it and wired up some led trailer taillights. For fun I mounted the license plate that it ran the last time it drove, tags expired 13 years ago... how time flies!
Well it is about to make its triumphant return to the street! This is going to be fun!
Click to view attachment
Porschef
10 year Anniversary. Don't time fly indeed...

Helluva project, looking forward to your first drive. beer.gif
Cairo94507
Looking forward to the video very much. beerchug.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 9 2018, 05:32 AM) *

10 year Anniversary. Don't time fly indeed...

Helluva project, looking forward to your first drive. beer.gif

Wow, you are right, 10 years to the day since my first post in this thread, didn't even realize that until you said something, how cool.

Looks like I better take it out for a spin today to celebrate, good thing I just got it insured, titled and licensed! birthday3.gif Anklebiter!
Click to view attachment
Porschef
Yaay!! Please make/post a vid, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it beerchug.gif
plymouth37
Okay, 10 years to the day, first drive is here, still a long way to go but a major milestone none the less! Thank you to all of you for joining me on the long meandering journey!
As promised here are the videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEqFDY0ZNrk

Got it into third here, tires broke loose at about 4500 rpm in third blink.gif this thing is going to be a monster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwWOz25GmaU
horizontally-opposed
This is so far beyond cool that it just made me grin from ear to ear. Congrats!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I also love those taillights...they're subtly "914" with a modern twist. If you can swap the order to have the ambers to the outside, they really would tie in with the car's basis.

Can't wait to see this car as it moves back under bodywork—although seeing all of its systems so low and within wheels is equally fun to look at.
jcambo7
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jun 8 2018, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 6 2018, 03:28 PM) *

That would be great. There is a number of cool places in the area. Just say when. beerchug.gif

Maybe we could do a PNW get together or something.
type47fan
Finally seeing the car on the road . . . well worth the wait!
TravisNeff
Great to see this on the road again, I love it!
Porschef
Haha, that's great!

Very cool. beerchug.gif

And looks street legal to boot! rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif
Cairo94507
That is just way to cool for words. Congratulations on getting to drive your build. beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 9 2018, 10:27 AM) *

Okay, 10 years to the day, first drive is here, still a long way to go but a major milestone none the less! Thank you to all of you for joining me on the long meandering journey!
As promised here are the videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEqFDY0ZNrk

Got it into third here, tires broke loose at about 4500 rpm in third blink.gif this thing is going to be a monster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwWOz25GmaU

smilie_pokal.gif

Beats pushin' it! av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 9 2018, 03:31 PM) *

Sure does, We should do another Snoqualmie days car show get together this year, I won't even make you push me over there this time! August 19th! We might even let you bring the 911 Jon!
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 9 2018, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 9 2018, 03:31 PM) *

Sure does, We should do another Snoqualmie days car show get together this year, I won't even make you push me over there this time! August 19th! We might even let you bring the 911 Jon!

Good idea. I'll be in Portland for a wedding that day but it would be fun for some guys to get together.

Do you have plans yet for how to transport the body?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.