Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
FourBlades

Great to see more progress. piratenanner.gif

Ya know, a car like this deserves its own one off, custom carbon body.

Did you ever want to take a stab at designing your own car body?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

John
plymouth37
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jun 28 2019, 03:00 PM) *

Great to see more progress. piratenanner.gif

Ya know, a car like this deserves its own one off, custom carbon body.

Did you ever want to take a stab at designing your own car body?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

John

I have actually, my thesis in grad school reimagined Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion car as a modern sports car, retaining the 3 wheel configuration and rear steering, still have the first and last study models from that project on my desk at work.
Click to view attachment

Fully designed and modeled the chassis and suspension too:
Click to view attachment

As for the 914 body, I would love to keep it fairly stock looking, too easy to fall into bad kit car territory with these cars, but reproducing the modified flared body in full carbon is definitely on the table if I get bored enough biggrin.gif

Will definitely be watching this build with interest B is for Build
plymouth37
Time to tackle doors, as far as all body components go I am just welding up any damage that requires it, ignoring the dents, and throwing some paint on them, once the dry fit is totally complete at least the exterior of these will get stripped and bodywork will commence for real, still got a few years before that though!
Click to view attachment

I stripped the doors down and then removed the other crash bar, I pulled the other one about 10 years ago and never got around to this one.
Click to view attachment

then I scraped the tar from the insides of the doors.
Click to view attachment

Repaired any damage that required a welder.
Click to view attachment

And stripped the clear that had been on there since my Vegas days.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I got them all stripped and hung up.
Click to view attachment

Primed and painted.
Click to view attachment

Then threw them on the car, mirrors and latches next!
Click to view attachment
2mAn
so close, yet so far away!...

I wonder what will happen first, you finishing the car or me actually buying a 914 lol both seem to have no end in sight
JeffBowlsby
You and Paul Elio out to get together.
Rand
Thank god this isn't a trike. Trikes suck donkey balls.Yes we know the only possible possibility is two front. Still sucks.
No wait... what worse balls can we find?
No matter. Murray Goldberg leaving pants right here at the door.
MoveQik
I get all giggity when I see update to this thread! One of the coolest parts of this build IMHO is the garage its being built in...it looks like it should be a storage shed for lawn equipment. It really shows your talent as the builder. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 1 2019, 01:00 PM) *

You and Paul Elio out to get together.

Unlike the Dale er I mean Elio.. The Anklebiter is Real.
get off my lawn
QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 26 2019, 09:09 AM) *

What are you going to do when its actually "done" ... so much work modifying every single item on the car

Done. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

they're never done. w00t.gif
plymouth37
Click to view attachment
I polished up my Solstice mirrors

Click to view attachment
and put them on, just going to leave them red for now, they match the other red accents on the car as it is. More on how I got them to fit Here

Click to view attachment
Behold, the Pontiac goodness...
worn
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Aug 8 2019, 03:01 PM) *

I polished up my Solstice mirrors

and put them on, just going to leave them red for now, they match the other red accents on the car as it is. More on how I got them to fit Here
Behold, the Pontiac goodness...

Looks grand with doors! The horn placement reminds me of the old disc shock absorbers of the early twenties. No, the nineteen twenties. Visually that is.
plymouth37
This package has a funny story, if you look closely the date on it is from way back in 2006, when I moved from Vegas to Wyoming, somewhere along the way my door handle broke. I ordered the replacement part from pelican, and as soon as I got the car to my new house in Laramie I pulled apart the door to fix the handle. If you look back at the 13th post on this thread you will notice that the first thing I did on this build was cut out the crash bar in the door, then the second thing was cut off the targa top. This little twist of fate created this build, if I hadn't pulled that door apart I may not have even started this journey.
Click to view attachment

Well here we are 15 years later, time to finally fix that handle!
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Looks grand with doors! The horn placement reminds me of the old disc shock absorbers of the early twenties. No, the nineteen twenties. Visually that is.

Totally! getting MG flashbacks!
wingnut86
Geez Dana. Talk about anticipation poke.gif

Keep at it. You'll get her done before they phase out gasoline beer.gif

Of course, I ain't got one at all. dry.gif

Looking at used TESLA'S!!

HAH, that'll bring the comments and viewers back to your thread stirthepot.gif ar15.gif

Dave
plymouth37
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 8 2019, 05:40 PM) *

HAH, that'll bring the comments and viewers back to your thread stirthepot.gif ar15.gif

Dave

Believe me, this will be the last gas car I own. Maybe I can move the radiator to the back and jam a fwd KERS system in the front? idea.gif
flipb
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Aug 8 2019, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 8 2019, 05:40 PM) *

Dave

Believe me, this will be the last gas car I own. Maybe I can move the radiator to the back and jam a fwd KERS system in the front? idea.gif

Bought a used Model S and made it my daily driver. It's such a great car that it makes it hard to justify keeping the 914 for weekend drives, but the 914 scratches a different itch and still puts a huge grin on my face.
plymouth37
The windshield frame has been a challenging piece to fabricate but it is coming along! I took all of the rough cut pieces I made back in April (here) and welded them into two halves of a frame.
Click to view attachment

Then I used spacers to make sure it was positioned perfectly on the car and trimmed the halves to fit together perfectly
Click to view attachment

Then welded it into one piece, getting there, might buy some polycarbonate this weekend!
Sneak peak, I have been working on mocking up the interior components as well, more on that in a bit!
Click to view attachment
Ferg
It's gonna be Ferg worthy in no time beerchug.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 9 2019, 03:16 PM) *

It's gonna be Ferg worthy in no time beerchug.gif

It isn't ready for you, I haven't painted it brown yet first.gif
plymouth37
We attended the annual Snoqualmie Railroad Days car show, it is only a block from my house so it is a pretty easy drive over there!
Click to view attachment

As usall there were a ton of questions, "where is the rest of it" "is that a miata' etc...
Click to view attachment

My kiddo always has a blast showing the car to people, she even corrected a few people that were saying Porsche wrong which was hilarious, good kid!
Click to view attachment
AZBanks
Parenting done right!
plymouth37
I got the windshield frame temporarily installed, I used 1/8" spacers around the perimeter to ensure a uniform gap around the perimeter.
Click to view attachment

Initially I wanted to weld studs to the back of this frame to hide the fasteners but the complexity of having to install that system was inevitably going to lead to a lot of heartache and probably a broken polycarbonate windshield during installation. Instead I am countersinking flat head allen fasteners into the frame to sit flush, I started this process by marking out and drilling holes around the frame.
Click to view attachment

I pulled the frame and got a big chunk of MDF for a template.
Click to view attachment

Then using my newly drilled holes, I bolted the frame to the MDF.
Click to view attachment

Then cut off the excess material, time to throw this in and see what happens!
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Well I only have half the bolts in and no gasket material but this sure looks promising.
Click to view attachment

Having the frame to clamp the material in with is really helpful and should make it look a little cleaner than the usual polycarb windshield install process.
Click to view attachment

This is good enough to move forward and buy a big ol' hunk of Poly, Woohoo!
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
add the hump at the top like 70-71 ..= aero
worn
Did my sister Ann find you? She had a booth of artwork. I asked her to look for you. Last year i missed you by a week. My wife grew up in the valley, and we visit often.
Warren
plymouth37
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 21 2019, 09:33 PM) *

Did my sister Ann find you? She had a booth of artwork. I asked her to look for you. Last year i missed you by a week. My wife grew up in the valley, and we visit often.
Warren

Was it the car artwork that the teenager was doing or another one? Shoot didn't connect, I will totally find them next year!
76-914
Do you pre-form the polycarbonate before trimming to size?
plymouth37
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 22 2019, 08:45 AM) *

Do you pre-form the polycarbonate before trimming to size?

I think I can just bend it in there, the MDF formed in there pretty well and it is pretty brittle itself. I did stretch the frame opening vertically a bit when I bolted it to the mdf to make the template so it will naturally be somewhat convex. At the very least I will try to jam it in there on a hot day in the sun with a hairdryer. I actually have access to a large thermo-forming oven but then I would have to make a mold and that seems a lot harder than just trying to jam it in there.

After the first one explodes on installation I will probably explore pre-forming biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
If you were to place the poly on a piece of black plastic out in the sun (when it comes back) the plastic would heat uniformally.
plymouth37
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 22 2019, 01:49 PM) *

If you were to place the poly on a piece of black plastic out in the sun (when it comes back) the plastic would heat uniformally.

Yeah that is a good idea, I think the sun is about as extreme as I want to get at first, even a heat gun can create bubbles if you aren't careful. The shape is pretty mild, not going all George Barris on it, should be a good experiment!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Aug 21 2019, 04:35 PM) *

This is good enough to move forward and buy a big ol' hunk of Poly, Woohoo!
Click to view attachment

Take the MDF template to a glass place that has the polycarbonate for the local circle track guys....they'll use the template and cut it for you right there....
Local indy shop "Danny's Glass" here was easy to find as they sponsored a circle track car at Langley Speedway. $100 for a cut out lexan windshield...
plymouth37
Okay, time to conquer the task that has been hanging over my head for about a decade, the windshield. I am not really tackling body work yet but my cowl was looking pretty tired, and when I filled the cowl years ago I didn't get everything as smooth as I would have liked. So as part of the windshield install I am doing a light cowl freshening.
Click to view attachment

Skim coat of bondo to smooth out the lumps.
Click to view attachment

ohh, fresh paint:
Click to view attachment

I also filled, primered and painted the windshield frame in a flat black.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
After the paint dried I installed the attachment clips, I went with these because they introduce a nice amount of slop in the system which should help in installation.
Click to view attachment

I ran some poly foam weather stripping around the frame opening. this is just generic hardware store weather stripping, not sure if this is the right stuff but I am rolling with it for now.
Click to view attachment

Also ran a few strips around the back of the outer frame, leaving a channel down the middle for hardware.
Click to view attachment

I also brought my windshield template to TAP plastics and they kindly cut some abrasion resistant 3/16" polycarb to shape.
Click to view attachment

I taped the template to the poly and drilled the mounting holes around the perimeter.
Click to view attachment

I don't know if this helped or not but it was in the 90's yesterday so I dragged an old solarpanel I haven't had the time to mount up out into the sun and baked the polycarbonate in the sun for an hour or so.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Oh hell yes! aktion035.gif I can't believe this worked.
It took me 3 tries to get this bolted in correctly, the order the bolts are inserted definitely matters, I finally figured that starting at the sides and then bolting around the perimeter towards the center got it to take the shape well.
Click to view attachment

I just gradually put a turn into each screw and worked my way around until it slowly clamped down into the frame. This thing looks beautiful, can't wait to take it out for a spin.
Click to view attachment

I am going to take it out this weekend to get some better shots for you all, this is a big milestone, one step closer to completion!
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Everyone enjoys a success story. Nice work.
falcor75
Nicely done, congratulations smile.gif
tygaboy
Dude! Big congrats. I love when folks just jump in and give things a go.
And I know what you mean about those tasks that loom over you. But man, way to knock it out of the park!
It turned out great and looks FABRICATIONULOUS! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Krieger
That looks really good! smilie_pokal.gif
914 Ranch
NICEā€¦
plymouth37
I took the car out a few times this past weekend, as I drive the car more I suppose there should be at least some shassis identification numbers on this thing, not totally stock but I threw the windshield frame ID tag on and VolksWerks plate on the fender well. Sure, that looks official?
Click to view attachment

Got some better pictures out in the sun, I will try to grab some video soon, I can definitely verify that windshields are an awesome invention that make this car a heck of a lot more enjoyable to drive!
Click to view attachment

Man I really need to get that body, running out of things to do!
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Today's "The Nature Porsche"... wink.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 5 2019, 09:27 AM) *

Today's "The Nature Porsche"... wink.gif

Hahaha, that looks like the same spot!
rhodyguy
No wipers. dry.gif no doubt WSP or other LE agency will have an opinion about that if they should decide to squeeze your shoes. Looks cool just as it sits.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 5 2019, 10:13 AM) *

No wipers. dry.gif no doubt WSP or other LE agency will have an opinion about that if they should decide to squeeze your shoes. Looks cool just as it sits.

Make a clip on electric wiper..
plymouth37
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 5 2019, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 5 2019, 10:13 AM) *

Make a clip on electric wiper..

I am just going to use an ultrasonic forcefield biggrin.gif
Mclaren Wiper Forcefield

Or ignore it, unfortunately adding a windshield made my car more illegal, no wipers needed without one!
pploco
Dummy wipers and a bottle of Rainx - FTW
plymouth37
I upgraded my steering wheel, reinstalling the Renegade wheel spacer as well, first step is to drill out the hub from the original wheel.
Click to view attachment

Extracted hub and spacer, sanded and awaiting flat black paint.
Click to view attachment

Hub all assembled, ready for install.
Click to view attachment

Looking good! Definitely easier to get into the car with the new setup as well.
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 9 2019, 12:40 PM) *

I upgraded my steering wheel, reinstalling the Renegade wheel spacer as well, first step is to drill out the hub from the original wheel.
Click to view attachment

Extracted hub and spacer, sanded and awaiting flat black paint.
Click to view attachment

Hub all assembled, ready for install.
Click to view attachment

Looking good! Definitely easier to get into the car with the new setup as well.
Click to view attachment

Curious about what you are thinking for the body- GT look obviously but something like a Sheridan kit or steel panels with steel flares custom made like your original concept pics?
DRPHIL914
Sorry duplicate post darn IPhone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.