Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
byndbad914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 29 2008, 01:51 PM) *

I think "Bads" frame is stiffer than most all racing 914......by God, it should be.
And, by God, he shoulda gotten rid of the rinky dink McPherson strut suspenders up front tho. biggrin.gif

hahaha - working on coming up with a dual A setup up front (and rear for that matter) but not this winter.

Time and money... I had more time (future) than money when I did the front section, as well as already had the RSR struts and stuff in the "tub" car before. Converting a tube chassis car from strut mount to SLA is pretty easy once the money comes around again - just reroute a couple tubes. But after the latest transaxle purchase won't be for at least a year laugh.gif

I sorta wanted to do a power steering rack up front which I would want to build the SLA around (to remove bumpsteer i.e. set the front geom to specifically work with an aftermarket rack width). All that was adding up a bit quick at the time. There is limited room in the front to mount the rack, so since that is the limiter I want to have that piece first.
Brett W
Yeah, since you are removing the rear trunk may as well go ahead and cut out everything including the fenderwells and just hang the back of the body off the tube chassis stuff. It would be lighter and you could make custom wheel wells in the trunk.

Plus you can use regular double eye shocks. I would come straight back from the fire wall to the shock towers with tubes, Cross the firewall underneath the the engine lid, right up against the fire wall. Weld it to the chassis in several places. Then build an Xbrace out of 1in or 1.25 in tubing for the engine compartment. Make it removable so you can get into the engine bay.
BKLA
popcorn[1].gif

Update(s)????? Half a month is too long to wait! wink.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(BKLA @ Nov 18 2008, 10:19 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Update(s)????? Half a month is too long to wait! wink.gif

biggrin.gif Just flew in from out o' town, I have some friends coming into town tomorrow but should be able to make some progress on Monday.
plymouth37
Since I have removed my trunk floor I no longer need the turbo relocation kit, I figured it would be better to bring the turbo back up to its original position. Here is the turbo in its relocated position, notice the mangled oil lines, custom bracket, and intake extension.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I removed the turbo and found that my intake was cracked and that the oil and coolant lines running to the turbo were also damaged. I ordered new lines, mounts, and a high performance silicone intake. According to it's maker this intake will increase performance by 10HP but I have my doubts, it looks good though! Here it is compared to the restrictive stock unit.
Click to view attachment

I installed everything and now my turbo is back where it belongs. And don't worry that missing nut is on order!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif I love this thread piratenanner.gif
plymouth37
I also removed the remaining excess sheetmetal and cleaned up the frame rails. Next I am going to rebuild the area where the rails meet the towers and weld in the tubes that will tie the rear structure into the main cage.

Click to view attachment
wobbletop

FYI... The newer Subies have a plastic coolant tank instead of the metal one. The top of the metal tank tends to corrode. I just replaced mine.

I also did the silicon inlet hose. My race shop says they are beneficial.

While I was there I also added the Hondata intake manifold gaskets. They reduce the temperature from the block going into the intake. Also, there is a coolant line going into the throttle body. You could remove that as well. I think it's only to prevent the throttle from sticking in (really) cold weather. People also remove the tumble generator valves (TGVs) between the intake manifold and the block to free up some airflow.

These are some simple things to improve on the stock design. Just trying to be useful biggrin.gif.

-Walter
plymouth37
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Nov 20 2008, 10:48 AM) *

FYI... The newer Subies have a plastic coolant tank instead of the metal one. The top of the metal tank tends to corrode. I just replaced mine.

I also did the silicon inlet hose. My race shop says they are beneficial.

While I was there I also added the Hondata intake manifold gaskets. They reduce the temperature from the block going into the intake. Also, there is a coolant line going into the throttle body. You could remove that as well. I think it's only to prevent the throttle from sticking in (really) cold weather. People also remove the tumble generator valves (TGVs) between the intake manifold and the block to free up some airflow.

These are some simple things to improve on the stock design. Just trying to be useful biggrin.gif.

-Walter

Thanks for the advice beerchug.gif
I will have to take a look at the coolant tank in my '07 Legacy, it sounds like the plastic one may be a good replacement, I hadn't heard about the corrosion problem but after looking inside mine it does look pretty rough. I will also check out those gaskets, they sound like a good upgrade.
Since this is a fair weather car I have already removed the throttle body heater and plan on removing the TGVs once I pull the engine from the car. After I pull the engine I am going to re-route alot of things like the coolant lines to make the engine look cleaner.
Root_Werks
Cool! Nice to see some updating going on today. boldblue.gif
effutuo101
Very nice, I can't wait to see how the defuser fits in with all of this. Are you going to move the radiator to the back now? Looks like you have a bunch more room now.
plymouth37
I had thought about moving the radiator to the rear but I think it will bring alot of extra heat to the engine bay. I have a feeling it will be hard enough to get the intercooler cool as it is, running a belly pan and diffuser will seriously limit airflow to the engine bay. Who needs trunk space anyway? biggrin.gif
plymouth37
I did a little welding today.
I reinforced the rest of the tower and tied the rear tubes into the main cage.
While I had the welder out I patched all of the un-needed holes in the "trunk" and engine bay.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I had planned on welding tubes into both sides today but it is 9 degrees here so I gave in to the cold after only finishing the passenger side.
I should be able to weld in the other side tomorrow.
I also properly attached the framerail to the tower, it looks like the only thing attaching the two in the stock car were 3 tiny spot welds.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
Brett W
Are you using that bzt-bzt-bzt-bzt welding technique that I see so many kids using now days when welding with a MIG machine? Your welds look funny.
plymouth37
Yeah I use the bzt-bzt technique, the welds run a little on the cooler side but I find that I have better control of the weld quality this way.
The welds do look a little crazy in the pictures, because I polished them with the wire wheel the cameras flash goes nuts and makes them look all wonkey, trust me they look a lot better in person!
plymouth37
I finished the cage today.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
After cutting out the trunk floor and welding in all of the rear tubes I dropped a total of 3.2 pounds, not bad considering what was done.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Zaney
Now there should be no problem in finding room to upgrade your 901 to a WRX 5 speed someday.
Looks awesome! drooley.gif
Wilhelm
I'm concerned that the hoops of your roll bars are not continuous to the frame rails and are entirely dependent for their strength on the welds at their bases. They are also not triangulated and worry they will fold over onto your noggin in a crash. Don't get me wrong, I like what your doing overall, just want you to be safe.
plymouth37
I totally agree, at this point the hoops are not nearly as strong as they could be.
I have decided to run 5-point harnesses so it would probably be a good idea to triangulate the hoops with another bar.
It will be tough to squeeze another bar under the humps, I will have a better idea of what is possible after I finish the firewall.
BKLA
great job!

popcorn[1].gif
plymouth37
Today I started rebuilding the firewall. Since I cut off the targa bar that held the upper seat belt bracket I have decided to go with 5-point harnesses. Luckly my main hoop is in a great position to anchor the shoulder belts but the firewall needed to be recessed to clear the belts.
I made these blisters then welded them into the firewall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Big news, My wife and I are moving to Boulder Colorado in a couple weeks. I am transferring to CU Boulder in time for the spring semester. We got a nice place with a garage so work can continue on the Anklebiter. I dropped it back onto it's wheels to move it and decided to take some pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
After having the car on 18" jackstands for a year I could not believe how low it was after I dropped it down on its wheels.
I took a couple pictures of the car next to our Subies to show just how low a 41" tall car really is.
The car is sitting at 5" from the ground to the donuts, I could go a little lower but I think things are looking pretty good as they are.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scotty b
DAMN that thing is wicked !! aktion035.gif
spaceshuttle
WOW. I am thinking Porsche should reintroduce the 914 ala the Camaro/Challenger/Mustang and just copy your design. Sign me up.

SS
iamchappy
F'ng Cool....
Ferg
Moving to Boulder!! Great News.

Let me know how If I can help in any way. Where in Boulder?

Ferg
plymouth37
Where in Boulder?

We got a place in Tantra Lake, about 5 mins south of campus.
Looks like it will be a lot easier to make it to the Colorado get togethers this summer!
Ferg
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 16 2008, 07:07 PM) *

Where in Boulder?

Looks like it will be a lot easier to make it to the Colorado get togethers this summer!

Very Cool! I work right off the walking mall, Porsche lunches on the Hill next summer beerchug.gif

Ferg
fat73
Hey Dana,

That thing is bad to the bone. By the way, how wide are the spacers on the front wheels?

Ed aka W9R1

plymouth37
QUOTE(ferg @ Dec 16 2008, 07:30 PM) *

Porsche lunches on the Hill next summer beerchug.gif

aktion035.gif That sounds awesome!

QUOTE(fat73 @ Dec 16 2008, 07:32 PM) *

How wide are the spacers on the front wheels?

2" front and rear.
jsayre914
biggrin.gif That is by far the coolest 914 I have ever seen. Hands Down. Can we vote now for January car of the month.?? cheer.gif cheer.gif

incredible
Chris Pincetich
Ha!
Isn't it WEIRD to see your 914 so low on the ground after seeing it every day for months up on jack stands? I felt like an NBA player or something.

Lookin good! beerchug.gif
byndbad914
nice! I am thinking Illegal Pete's on the Hill at least once when it warms up and the scenery is nicer (hahaha hey, I'm getting old)...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Dec 16 2008, 06:58 PM) *

biggrin.gif That is by far the coolest 914 I have ever seen. Hands Down. Can we vote now for January car of the month.?? cheer.gif cheer.gif

incredible

Let's at least wait until it's finished confused24.gif

Looking very good Dana. I just remembered I need to go out and take some pictures for you blink.gif I really do think the seats we are talking about will look sweet in there. aktion035.gif

When done you have to send pictures to Porsche and see if you can get anythnig from them cheer.gif
ericread
It's awesome.

But we would expect nothing less from you... smile.gif

Eric
rick 918-S
assimilate.gif thumb3d.gif That pegs the cool factor meter popcorn[1].gif
Todd Enlund
Holy sh!t!

Click to view attachment
stephenaki
Love the look of the rear area; what type of side mirrors are those?

Never mind, I just found the page that talks about using Pontiac Solstice mirrors. I should really look harder before asking obvious questions!
degreeoff
pray.gif drooley.gif and of course aktion035.gif the work, your wife must be a great gal......
Mr.C
Oh man that thing is BAAAAD!!

In touch with a guy locallly who is doing a subie conversion. He's got some plans..big plans.
Here's his subie powered Ghia that he built. http://f-bautomotive.com/ghia.html I'm trying to get him on here, but he's too busy in his shop for the net.
Gint
QUOTE(Ferg @ Dec 16 2008, 07:30 PM) *
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 16 2008, 07:07 PM) *
Where in Boulder?
Very Cool! I work right off the walking mall, Porsche lunches on the Hill next summer beerchug.gif
Ferg

Great news Dana!

Lunch... I'm in.
d914
that is awesome,, You might have said but what are you doing for headlights.. I was playing with the idea of some motocycle lights mounted next to the fogs kinda rally style but Im not that far to worry to much about it??????
roadster fan
wub.gif Just set as my desktop background. Cant stop staring at it........need help......... w00t.gif

Jim
jhadler
Fantastic looking car! I agree, Porsche should scrap their "new" 914 attempt, and just clone your body style. For a fee of course... A nice big one...

And welcome to Boulder!!!!

I work just up a short way from you! We'll certainly need to get some lunches going!

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.