Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
stownsen914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 8 2008, 11:34 AM) *

I totally agree, at this point the hoops are not nearly as strong as they could be.
I have decided to run 5-point harnesses so it would probably be a good idea to triangulate the hoops with another bar.
It will be tough to squeeze another bar under the humps, I will have a better idea of what is possible after I finish the firewall.

Very cool project! To triangulate the main hoop a little more, why not just put a diagonal tube laterally behind where the seats will go?

Scott
plymouth37
Thanks for the kind words guys!

To triangulate the main hoop a little more, why not just put a diagonal tube laterally behind where the seats will go?

The main hoop is not the issue, I am going to run a bar diagonally from the rear up to each head hoop to keep them from folding if the car flips.
shelby/914
Welcome back to Colorado, I've shown this thread to friends who aren't into 914s and they can't wait to see the car in person. I think you could charge admission.
KELTY360
Wow.......nice Fiat!

My girfriend's uncle used to have one just like it, sep it were a four door. dry.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 16 2008, 05:06 PM) *

Big news, My wife and I are moving to Boulder Colorado in a couple weeks.

icon_bump.gif For a fellow Coloradoan (now)! Good news! Car is looking badass!!!
turboman808
The car is looking fantastic. The only thing not working for me is the bumps behind the headrest. I say get rid of them and keep the line clean.

Really thought this thread makes me want to chop the top on my car.
PeeGreen 914
Any updates Dana?
plymouth37
WOW, over 20,000 views and over 300 replies! You guys rock, thank you so much for the support!
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 29 2008, 02:21 PM) *

Any updates Dana?

I am working on rebuilding the firewall, it is turning out to be a ton of work but I should have some pics to post by the end of the week.
I would like to get the firewall done before I move on the 2nd so as to not piss off my new neighbors with the excessive noise. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Dana.
effutuo101
Good luck in Boulder! I lived right out side of there for a couple of years. Lots of runs out of there during the summer.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 29 2008, 05:17 PM) *

WOW, over 20,000 views and over 300 replies! You guys rock, thank you so much for the support!

Any updates Dana?

I am working on rebuilding the firewall, it is turning out to be a ton of work but I should have some pics to post by the end of the week.
I would like to get the firewall done before I move on the 2nd so as to not piss off my new neighbors with the excessive noise. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Dana.

aktion035.gif There's nothing wrong with breaking in your new neighbors laugh.gif . They need to get use to it soon anyway. When I move into my house I pulled up the tax records of my neighbors and learned what I could about them. I bought them all "I'm your new neighbor gifts" and now I can borrow any tool or do anything. Then I got married and had kids and all the older neighbors bought us a ton of baby stuff. beerchug.gif

Can't wait to see more work. piratenanner.gif
Scott S
Very stoked to have this car local!! I am just two exits away from you on 36 - really look forward to watching the progress and seeing the car in person.

Welcome to the nieghborhood! beerchug.gif
-Scott S
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 30 2008, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 29 2008, 05:17 PM) *

Any updates Dana?

Dana.

aktion035.gif There's nothing wrong with breaking in your new neighbors laugh.gif . They need to get use to it soon anyway. When I move into my house I pulled up the tax records of my neighbors and learned what I could about them. I bought them all "I'm your new neighbor gifts" and now I can borrow any tool or do anything. Then I got married and had kids and all the older neighbors bought us a ton of baby stuff. beerchug.gif

Can't wait to see more work. piratenanner.gif

Wow Jon! Looks like you know how to get your neighbors on your side!!!!! LOL laugh.gif icon_bump.gif
Whatever works though! aktion035.gif drunk.gif w00t.gif
jcambo7
This car is looking awesome. I can't wait to see the car finished and what you are going to do. It's going to look awesome. aktion035.gif driving.gif piratenanner.gif beer3.gif
914junkie
Looking great Dana! Love the direction you took with your car. Hard to believe thats the same car I was looking at in Renegades parking lot. I drove down to Las Vegas 3 years ago to pick up my V8 conversion kit. You were showing me your car and around the shop and I kept thinking I should have done the Subaru conversion instead of the SBC. Now I want both! Was nice to meet you guys and the conversion was painless. Good luck with the project, can't wait to see the end result. How bout some HID projectors behind some clear replica turn signal lenses? Just a thought. Have fun! Paul S. drunk.gif
AgPete139
I've been stalking this page for a while now (a while = since May 2008). I've never really had anything to say, and still don't since I'm a newb to 914...

But damn. Dana, that is a good-looking car. The chopped windshield, front KC's, motor choice (sans bracing dilemma), and mirrors are well done. The look is mean, and the brushed metal is so unique and fitting for the car. But, with the fiberglass, what about a tan (bottom) / high gloss black (top) 2 tone paint scheme with a red stripe going along the length of the car?

I just Googled the first 2 images I saw.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/atta...one-paint-2.jpg

http://www.digimods.co.uk/images/Virtualca...torconcept2.jpg

Congrats on the successful move, btw.

By the end of the build, YOU will be weighing more than the unloaded CHASSIS!

I'd say good luck, but it looks like you don't need it.

beerchug.gif

Pete

PeeGreen 914
birthday3.gif Dana, ae you really 5 years younger than me? Even more impressive work now. Someone with this skill in their mid 20s w00t.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 11 2009, 09:58 PM) *

birthday3.gif Dana, are you really 5 years younger than me? Even more impressive work now. Someone with this skill in their mid 20s w00t.gif

biggrin.gif Thanks!

As far as the car goes I am in the middle of getting our house in Laramie ready to sell (aka finishing all of my half finished renovation projects) and starting a new semester tomorrow so it may be a little while before I can get back to her. Never fear though, you guys will be the first to know if anything gets done...
oldschool
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 10 2008, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 10 2008, 07:24 AM) *

Are you going to build a rag top for it, or is it a fair weather ride only?

I was playing around with the concept of a lift off hard top with drop in windows.
It would suck to build but it would really make the car alot more useable. we shall see...

Click to view attachment

Dude that's looking so cool I dreamed of a chop sawzall-smiley.gif 914, But how are you going about
the seats? am short Mexican and I some times hit my head on a reg.top? shades.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(d914 @ Dec 17 2008, 06:43 AM) *

that is awesome,, You might have said but what are you doing for headlights.. I was playing with the idea of some motocycle lights mounted next to the fogs kinda rally style but Im not that far to worry to much about it??????

I think a cool look would be light's ala 928 you know facing up when not in use and when on bam! just like the 928. shades.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 11 2009, 10:21 PM) *

Dude that's looking so cool I dreamed of a chop sawzall-smiley.gif 914, But how are you going about
the seats?

I am going to move the crossbrace that the stock seats mount to about 3" or 4" forward and hard mount Sparco Evos to the floor. This should give me a pretty decent driving position even if the car is only 41" tall.
mbrown3039

biggrin.gif Thanks!

As far as the car goes I am in the middle of getting our house in Laramie ready to sell (aka finishing all of my half finished renovation projects) and starting a new semester tomorrow so it may be a little while before I can get back to her. Never fear though, you guys will be the first to know if anything gets done...

Blah, blah, blah...life stuff...yadda, yadda, yadda...real responsibilities...who cares? Call the house in Laramie a "fixer-upper" and get back on the car!

Seriously, though, I commend you. Not just for the car itself -- which I think is a work of art in progress and has some pretty feasible business venture possibilities -- but for your committment to this thread. A lot of us have cars -- mostly 914's but I'm sure there are a few "foreigners" following along, too -- and we've all dreamed of some sort of modification if only we had enough time/money/skills/other to get it done. But you're actually doing it AND writing about it humbly and graciously, even when some of the readers offer their "advice" in a less-than-gracious (IMO) manner.

I doubt I'll ever create something as striking as the Anklebiter, but I'm glad I get to share along with all the other readers as you do. We met a few years ago when you were at Renegade and -- now that I finally own a 914 -- I keep going back and forth: stock or Subie? Stock or Subie? And that's all because of you.

Now, of course, that question is morphing into "everyday Subie or super-morphed Dana special Subie?"

<sigh>......if only I had $75K................. biggrin.gif
retro914
I have sat here at an can truly say that I love this build. I came across a Porsche 914 Carrera GT rendering and didn't seem to like it as much, but your work has prove me otherwise. Keep up the good work! beerchug.gif pray.gif

Nick
Ferg
icon_bump.gif
majkos
Isn't he like moving from Windy Wyoming,to Colorado!
mrhurtalot
wow, been gone from the site for months, and i come back to see this masterpiece has arose.

good job so far man.
GTeener
I really like the brushed metal treatment. wub.gif
popcorn[1].gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(majkos @ Feb 6 2009, 12:56 PM) *

Isn't he like moving from Windy Wyoming,to Colorado!

I have indeed moved to Boulder, the problem is that the 914 is still in Wyoming.
As soon as I get it down here work will begin once again, probably in about a month.

While moving I stumbled upon some old negatives from the day I found the 'biter and have added them to the first page of the thread, she has come a long ways huh?

Click to view attachment
Gint
smilie_pokal.gif I can't wait to see it in person. Need any help?
plymouth37
It's sping break and I finally had some time to spend on the car. As some of you may know I moved down to Boulder, CO in January but my car is still in Laramie, WY. I drove up on Sunday and was finally able to make some progress on the car.

I started out by welding in the center beam for the new cross member.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Then I welded in filler panels for the corners, as you can see they are crazy pieces that needed a lot of shrinking and stretching to fit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Then I moved on to the most complicated piece of the cross member. I was remembering a 550 spyder I had worked on years ago and designed the cross member to echo those lines.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I finished up the cross member by capping it's back and bottom.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is the firewall with the humps on. I think the gap between them turned out pretty nice.

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here is a cool pic from the trunk looking into the engine compartment.
Click to view attachment

Not much left of her...
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
To finish off the fire wall I welded in some patch panels to fill the holes left by the speakers.
Thanks to Leo Imperial for getting out his sawzall and cutting me the perfect patches!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
He's Back piratenanner.gif
g911
Most excellent smile.gif
dlee6204
Very nice work! smilie_pokal.gif
r_towle
That is cool...similar thought and deeds going on here.

I am making that piece removable...and I am making three of them.
So, I am struggling with this.

One will be for a single hoop.
One for a double hoop.
One for no hoop.

I may just have a removable piece to add the second hoop and call it a day.
I love how you tied in the inner fender...do you have any progress pics of that funky area...I had a tough time due to the jog in the inner fender.

Rich
BKLA
Yay!!!!! I've had my "fix"! Thanks!
roadster fan
drooley.gif love the metal work, I really have to start practicing some of those skills

Jim
PeeGreen 914
As always, excelent work Dana beerchug.gif
3d914
I'm inspired. Now to just get out and work on mine.
So.Cal.914
This project is really bitchen. Sooooo what color?

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 27 2009, 08:53 PM) *

This project is really bitchen. Sooooo what color?

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
That is fricken awesome!
I hate to break it to you but I was thinking lime green!
I know yellow cars are faster but I think this car will be fast enough without the power of yellow paint!
ssstikircr
Looks awsom!!!
popcorn[1].gif
So.Cal.914
Oooooop's, Green it is. I also added a wheel and the front windscreen.

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
piratenanner.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif
That looks perfect! You rock, thanks Paul!
So.Cal.914
My Pleasure. smile.gif
type47fan
Pure artistry, Dana . . . .
r_towle
This next picture may slow down your progress and add more work.
It uses two motorcycle windscreens. I really thought you should see this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.