Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
plymouth37
You have no idea how many times I have thought about that...
I would love to have to put a helmet on to run to the grocery store!
Damn it, I had just gotten over that concept and now you have to go and bring it up again, it is so tempting.
r_towle
Use the bmw electric windscreen that raises up and down...its on the big cruiser bikes from bmw...no helmet needed.

rich
plymouth37
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 3 2009, 04:40 PM) *

Use the bmw electric windscreen that raises up and down...its on the big cruiser bikes from bmw...no helmet needed.

rich

You just have a solution for everything don't you? happy11.gif
Feel like whipping something up on photoshop Paul?
r_towle
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 3 2009, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 3 2009, 04:40 PM) *

rich

You just have a solution for everything don't you? happy11.gif
Feel like whipping something up on photoshop Paul?

If I could, I would.

My state wont allow this...though I am going to go back a look into it again.
the rules were safety glass and both wipers....so I could do it...

Rich
charliew
The rules may say the windshield must be safetyglass. And if there's a windshield there must be two wipers.
jcambo7
Looking great man. piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif Still can't wait to see the car finished. aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 4 2009, 11:22 AM) *

The rules may say the windshield must be safetyglass. And if there's a windshield there must be two wipers.

I stopped caring about the "rules" along time ago. This car has not been even close to legal for years. I have not run wipers on this car for years and lexan is in this cars future. I am perfectly willing to be hassled to the cops if that means I get to build my dream car.
r_towle
Custom laminated glass for the windshield is easy to do and most decent glass shops can get it done.
Custom tempered glass for the side windows will cost you dearly.
The hot rod guys I spoke with all use laminated glass for the side windows just due to the price...
Go find a decent glass shop and talk to them...there are glass factories all over the country,,,you just need to make a metal template that is supported from behind with struts to keep its shape. (they will explain it to you)
Rich
plymouth37
I think I will just use lexan.
Its lighter and cheaper.
If I am going for the chopped look that I have now I will buy a lexan 914 'shield and cut it down, if I go with the Callaway 'vett look things might get a little more interesting...
r_towle
still gotta go for a decent bend to make it look good.

Metal form...pizza oven (easy guys to convince...)

Rich
rick 918-S
I did some work on this car. It has an upside down Saab 99 windsheild that was re-cut.
geniusanthony

does that mean a helmet is legal on the street.. or goggles?
db9146
Hey Dana,

What's goin' on? Been two months and no update.
plymouth37
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jun 5 2009, 09:27 PM) *

Hey Dana,

I finally got the car moved down here from Laramie a couple of weeks ago, so now I can actually work on it.
While I was waiting for the car to make it down I decided to stay busy and started building a vintage cafe racer. I am almost done with the bike and will start back on the Anklebiter in about a month.

Here is my excuse for not working on the Porsche, 1970 Honda CL350 with many custom bits.

If you want to check out the Build Thread for the bike you can find it Here.

Before:
Click to view attachment

Now:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Dana, I just have to say... I hate you... happy11.gif in the nicest way possible beerchug.gif . Nice work. You have some seriously mad skills. Sweet bike. I have an old Yamaha I need to fix up some day.
Wes V
The motorcycle is major cool!!

I particularly like what you did with the paint.

Wes
EdwardBlume
This is the first time seeing this thread and I have to say... dude you are friggen AWESOME!!!! Keep it up! aktion035.gif
poorsche914
Putting the photoshop skills to use...

Old school look with chrome steelies and a 916 bumper.

IPB Image
plymouth37
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 6 2009, 10:32 AM) *

Putting the photoshop skills to use...

Old school look with chrome steelies and a 916 bumper.

IPB Image

Very cool rendering, I really dig it. Thank you so much!

Sorry again for the delay in progress guys, you all will be the first to know when the build resumes.
Dana.
majkos
No hurries,
you can't rush "Perfection" aktion035.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 6 2009, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ Jun 5 2009, 09:27 PM) *

Hey Dana,

I finally got the car moved down here from Laramie a couple of weeks ago, so now I can actually work on it.
While I was waiting for the car to make it down I decided to stay busy and started building a vintage cafe racer. I am almost done with the bike and will start back on the Anklebiter in about a month.

Here is my excuse for not working on the Porsche, 1970 Honda CL350 with many custom bits.

If you want to check out the Build Thread for the bike you can find it Here.

Before:
Click to view attachment

Now:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You have a great eye for design.

Rich
effutuo101
Nice work Dana,
I picked up a 71 BMW R75/5 for my wife, doing a lot of similar work. I have the solo saddle, but she likes the shape of the full seat, so we are going to keep that.
She wants clubman or straight bars for that vintage racer look, and is spinning wrenches to get all of the little stuff done. The frame should be all stripped and ready for powder coat at the end of the week. Then let the build begin. It should be fun as the front end is off of a R75/6 and has a single disk up front.
Looking forward to seeing your project in final paint.
plymouth37
I just finished up the bike. I just need to re-configure the garage to work on a car instead of a bike and then pull the car out of storage. Work on the Anklebiter will resume soon!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Greco
So what kind of top will this have? Convertible or Carson removable hard top? Very cool build, your blog is what brought me to the forums.
plymouth37
I am thinking a F/G lift off hardtop, there is a rendering of a possible top on page 3 of this thread.
My buddy has set up shop in my garage without asking so as soon as I can get rid of him and his bike work will resume.
Welcome to 914world Greco!
Greco
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Aug 26 2009, 12:08 PM) *

I am thinking a F/G lift off hardtop, there is a rendering of a possible top on page 3 of this thread.
My buddy has set up shop in my garage without asking so as soon as I can get rid of him and his bike work will resume.
Welcome to 914world Greco!

Thanks for the welcome. I saw the rendering, any idea on headroom? I found your blog when I was googling modded/chopped/convertibe 914's and found these boards about a year ago. If my roller does'nt sell then I have two choices. Either start hacking it up myself for a project or scrap it. The latter I have avoided as long as I can. I'd rather start with something cheap and running as my first project. Keep up the great work.
lotus_65
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 7 2009, 01:46 PM) *

THAT'S BOMB.

lotus_65
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 7 2009, 01:46 PM) *

THAT'S BOMB.
i guess bomb enough to double post... confused24.gif
BKLA
Its time for an update!!!!

smile.gif
Ferg
agree.gif Hi Dana biggrin.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(BKLA @ Oct 29 2009, 01:09 PM) *

Its time for an update!!!!

smile.gif

I know, this is totally ridiculous, it has almost been a year since I tore into this car. I could give you all a ton of excuses but I will just say that hopefully if no one minds I will get back to it soon. Hang in there, I am trying to get back to work soon!
-Dane
Gint
Give the guy a break already. He's so busy he can't even spell his own name correctly!

Hi Dana. bye1.gif
Kirmizi
Yeah Dana, better get to it before the snow flies....
Oh wait. Glad I'm in Feenix! bootyshake.gif
Mike
plymouth37
So after almost a year of down time I have finally started back into the car.
I was originally planning on running a custom intercooler. After playing with the stock one and calculating flow rates of other aftermarket intercoolers it became pretty clear that the stock intercooler was a pretty good fit for what I needed, and it's free! I will just have to get its fins straightened and give it a good cleaning and it will be ready to go.
I am going to cut subtle but effective venting slots in between the head humps and use a couple small electric fans to draw air into the intercooler.

To mount the intercooler I threaded a couple 1/2" aluminum bars at each end. One end screws into the engine block and the intercooler bolts into the other end. I think they look pretty clean and they are surprisingly sturdy, most importantly they weigh almost nothing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I wanted to get a start on running the inlet tubes for the intercooler but out of the thousands of feet of tubing I have none of it is 2", looks like I will have to hit up the exhaust shop tomorrow...
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Sweet. Glad to se you back at it Dana beerchug.gif
effutuo101
No matter how many times I look at this thread, I am always impressed. Keep it up Dana.
BKLA
OK..... I'm good now.... For a while!

clap56.gif
plymouth37
I drove down to Littleton, CO this morning and picked up some 2" mandrel u-bends. I then pieced together the intercooler intake tubes. They are only held together with tape now because I still haven't figured out my welder situation. I only have 110 at my place and my 220 welders are up at my in-laws place in Cheyenne. I may have to make some time for welding when I go up there for thanksgiving. Some day I would love to swap these out for aluminum but that is more trouble then it is worth right now, I still managed to drop 4 pounds because this plumbing system is much shorter than the previous version. That brings the total up to around 414 pounds shed. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, my camera couldn't figure out all of the shiny tubing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scrz914
I just saw this on the Porsche website. Didn't know they made a roadster.
I like yours better.

plymouth37
I think they copied me, I started production way before they did!
SECHSER
hey, just gotta say "wow!!!.." what an amazing effort and it sure is turning out looking really good. keep up the good work man, looking forward to see the updates.

oh btw, i noticed that you're rather a subie fan. i really dig my saabaru except on the 05 ej205 had a crappy oil pump and straved my crank bearings.. i'm looking into ways to get that puppy back on the road..
plymouth37
Last night I mocked up the blowoff valve tubing. Other than welding these pieces up the intake system is fairly complete. I think I will have these three tubes painted body color.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rand
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Nov 16 2009, 09:21 AM) *

I think I will have these three tubes painted body color.

They already are! smile.gif
Glad to see you back on this Dana. We all look forward to the next episode. I hope I get to see this thing in person some day.
plymouth37
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 16 2009, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Nov 16 2009, 09:21 AM) *

I think I will have these three tubes painted body color.

They already are! smile.gif

av-943.gif Smartass!
BKLA
We all give you a hard time, but this IS the coolest thread on the "world". We just love to see what you come up with and how you build it.

We are... so not worthly!

A little poo flinging is all in fun.

Now, get back to work so that we can feel inadequate and small!
plymouth37
Believe me, one of the main reasons I hang out here is to give you all a hard time, I appreciate it when someone throws it back smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Nov 16 2009, 09:48 AM) *

I appreciate it when someone throws it back smile.gif

So, when are you going to clean that thing and make it purdy? poke.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 16 2009, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Nov 16 2009, 09:48 AM) *

I appreciate it when someone throws it back smile.gif

So, when are you going to clean that thing and make it purdy? poke.gif

Hopefully sometime before I die...
Crazyhippy
Looking good Dana...

Just a heads up, the MAF might need to be clocked slightly to get a pure reading. Ran into an issue on an 05 stang w/ a vortech. Some places it would read very erratically based on RPM, and just twisting it around really cleaned up the signal.

BJ
Slider
good to see your back at it Dana!

keep us posted and someday i will see it in real life
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.