Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
plymouth37
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Nov 16 2009, 12:42 PM) *

Looking good Dana...

Just a heads up, the MAF might need to be clocked slightly to get a pure reading. Ran into an issue on an 05 stang w/ a vortech. Some places it would read very erratically based on RPM, and just twisting it around really cleaned up the signal.

BJ

Good to hear from you BJ, thanks for the heads up on that MAF, I swear those sensors have minds of their own.
When I was trying to get the car to run the first time I had the MAF in backwards because it had no directional arrow on it, awesome right?
The car would run fine for 34 seconds then just shut down, that was a fun problem to diagnose... headbang.gif
shoguneagle
Ah!!! Winter is setting in and there was "something" keeping from my "long winter nap".
Something was missing, something was wrong!!!! WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE???

"ANKLEBITER, ANKLEBITER, ANKLEBITER" UPDATE!!!! WHERE IS IT?

There it is---------------

EVERYTHING IS GOING ALONG AND I NOW HAVE CURRENT KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROJECT.

Looking forward to a long extended Winter nap; see you in the Spring.

Steve Hurt
Mr.242
OMG..I have been living under a ROCK! I just found this build and it's great.

The law and my .02$: Don't apply the law on currently manufactured vehicles(Chevy/Ford/etc). Read the laws for a "specilty" vehicles or "KIT" vehicles. I PERSONALLY know WA has them and there are laws that allow builds such as these. Have it licensed as something other than a Porsche, maybe a "KIT" vehicle. It will apply. Then carry a print out of the laws tucked somewhere in a nice little binder near your registration/insurance.

Fight smarter....

WAHOO....I love this car!
charliew
After going all night a few years ago on the motor we put in my son's sti it wouldm't run smooth. About 10am I had to crash and he woke me up about noon and said someone on nasioc said to check the maf and that was it. No arrow or anything. It was mounted on a aluminum housing and we turned the housing around on re-assembly.
BKLA
Holidays are done. We're in need of an update!
Ferg
popcorn[1].gif Hi Dana bye1.gif You gonna be at 3R tonight???

Ferg
markb
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jan 7 2010, 02:35 PM) *

Holidays are done. We're in need of an update!

agree.gif
plymouth37
I will post an update on Sunday wink.gif
jonferns
clap56.gif
plymouth37
No big news on the car but my wife and I moved from our apartment into a little house with a huge shop. So now I will actually be able to get some work done!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
My other vehicles.
Click to view attachment
And of course the awesome REZNOR gas heater to combat the Colorado winter.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
How she sits now

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ferg
I need to meet your dog, is it a doodle? wub.gif
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Swet....looking good Dana
bill pierce
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 10 2010, 12:50 AM) *

No big news on the car but my wife and I moved from our apartment into a little house with a huge shop. So now I will actually be able to get some work done!
Click to view attachment

Too bad your dog is in a wheel chair. He looks so young.

Loving this thread. Keep up the good work!
plymouth37
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 10 2010, 08:11 AM) *

I need to meet your dog, is it a doodle? wub.gif

We think Bailey is a labradoodle but she was born in the pound and then was abandoned by the person who adopted her so we are not totally sure as to her make and model. She is a real sweetheart and an awesome garage dog.

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Last night I started to cut out some extra sheet metal around the engine bay. I finally got sick of working around the engine and decided to pull the drivetrain.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Now that the drivetrain is out I am going to detail it and work on shaving some weight off of the engine. The stock alternator bracket weighs a ton and the intake manifold needs to have a ton of extra metal shaved off of it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Sweet.... I'm so happy you're back to work on this.
FourBlades

This car is so unique and so cool it really needs to be finished.

Any book, chapter, or article on custom 914s needs to cover this car.

What kind of color scheme do yo have in mind for the engine?

John

BKLA
I'm soo happy now!!!! biggrin.gif I look forward to seeing your posts and pictures of your work.

I hope its not too presumptuous of me to ask, (but I am going to anyway) what are your plans here? (See pic) I'm very interested to see how you resolve how the trunk meets the fender and the cover...

Thanks!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment
Gint
Hey Dana... when do I get to see this car in person? I could bring over a real camera. poke.gif wink.gif
Rand
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jan 20 2010, 02:00 PM) *
I hope its not too presumptuous of me to ask, (but I am going to anyway) what are your plans here? (See pic) I'm very interested to see how you resolve how the trunk meets the fender and the cover...

This may shed some light on that:

IPB Image
plymouth37
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 20 2010, 01:43 PM) *

What kind of color scheme do yo have in mind for the engine?

I am going to keep it looking pretty factory, only real dress up will brushed aluminum, black powder coat and stainless fasteners.

QUOTE(BKLA @ Jan 20 2010, 03:00 PM) *

That area still needs a little work, you can see a point where the old meets the new that I need to smooth out into a much softer curve.

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 20 2010, 04:07 PM) *

Hey Dana... when do I get to see this car in person? I could bring over a real camera. poke.gif wink.gif

You are welcome to come over any time, I am over in old town Longmont now and have a pretty open schedule.
And yes the pics suck, my camera died on me and I am making due with my phone for now, I keep spending my money on the car instead of a new camera. biggrin.gif
I also need to find a better mac program to shrink the photos to 800X600 the program I am using makes them even blurrier and the files are way too big for their size.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jan 20 2010, 02:00 PM) *

I'm soo happy now!!!! biggrin.gif I look forward to seeing your posts and pictures of your work.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment

I'd cut the sharp edge off (outer edge of the remaining sail panel) and taper it out to the roll of the quarter panel. Take out the step
g911
glad to see you're back at it. very sweet indeed.
plymouth37
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2010, 06:02 PM) *

I'd cut the sharp edge off (outer edge of the remaining sail panel) and taper it out to the roll of the quarter panel. Take out the step

That is pretty much what I was thinking, that spot has bugged me ever since I welded it up, it looks unnatural when compared to the metal around it. My welder is coming down in a week or two and I am going to make up for lost time with it. welder.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 20 2010, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2010, 06:02 PM) *

That is pretty much what I was thinking, that spot has bugged me ever since I welded it up, it looks unnatural when compared to the metal around it. My welder is coming down in a week or two and I am going to make up for lost time with it. welder.gif

That's what I wanted to hear!!! smilie_pokal.gif chowtime.gif
Zundfolge
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 20 2010, 05:23 PM) *

I also need to find a better mac program to shrink the photos to 800X600 the program I am using makes them even blurrier and the files are way too big for their size.

I use Photoshop, but I'm also a professional so I can justify the expense.

If you have X11 installed there's The Gimp

If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing X11 for The Gimp, there's Seashore (based on Gimp but built on the Cocoa Framework).

I run Seashore on my Hackintosh Netbook (since Adobe software won't install on a machine running less than 1024x768 resolution, and I really didn't need something that powerful for the very little image editing I do on the netbook)
JJ914GT
Love this build, it's actually the car that inspired me to go for the subaru conversion.

Here's a nice online "photoshop-like" program:

http://www.pixlr.com/editor
plymouth37
After pulling the drivetrain I stripped the engine down to almost a long block. There is a ton of weight that can be removed from the engine and a couple small power adders that are easier to do with the engine out of the car.
Now I need to take this opportunity to clean things up a bit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Next I pulled the Tumble Generator Valves off of the intake. For those of you who are not familiar with these little bastards, they are located between the intake and the heads, during cold start ups they close to improve emissions. The problem is that when the valves open during normal driving they still block a ton of air flow and rob mid range power.
Here are the stock TGVs:
Click to view attachment

I removed the butterflies and the motors and sensors related to them, this procedure does trigger a check engine light but I am going to have the car tuned anyway and this code can be eliminated from the ecu.
Here you can see the casting that directs air around the closed butterflies so the engine doesn't stall.
Click to view attachment

I bored out the cast partitions and ported out the TGV bodies
Here is a shot half way through porting:
Click to view attachment

plymouth37
Lastly I finished porting the bodies then ground off any unnecessary mounts or brackets on the exterior of the TGVs then hit them with a wire wheel. The holes you see where the rods used to go will be filled as soon as I get my tig down here.
Click to view attachment

And now for the Bonuses: I lost a total of 2.2 pounds by removing the motors, sensors, butterflies, driveshafts, and extra aluminum.
Here is a TGV mod before and after chassis dyno sheet from a guy who has almost exactly the same mods on his engine as mine:
Check out the gains at 3000 rpm, and this is at the wheels!
Click to view attachment
Not a bad gain for a days work!
Kirmizi
Hey Dana,
You gonna have it back together and running for Cars and Coffee tomorrow?
poke.gif
Mike
plymouth37
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Feb 5 2010, 10:28 AM) *

Hey Dana,
poke.gif
Mike

av-943.gif Sure, no problem...
fat73
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Feb 5 2010, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Feb 5 2010, 10:28 AM) *

Hey Dana,
poke.gif
Mike

av-943.gif Sure, no problem...

Dana...Does this mod have any effect on the ECU? I'm asuming the sensors that previouly controlled the throttle body butterflies stay attached to the harness, or can they be removed?

Ed
plymouth37
QUOTE(fat73 @ Feb 5 2010, 10:40 AM) *

Dana...Does this mod have any effect on the ECU? I'm asuming the sensors previously attached to the throttle body butterflies stay attached to the harness, or can they be removed?

Ed

The sensors measure the butterflies movement which varies depending on the engines running conditions so it is impossible to just plug in a resistor to trick the ECU like I have done with other sensor deletes. It is an all or nothing kind of deal, messing with the TGVs will give you a check engine light and a possible limp mode situation unless you get the code programmed out. Since it will trigger a problem weather you remove the sensors or not I am removing the sensors and the wires for them from my wiring harness. To fully optimize the TGV delete procedure you need to have the ECU programmed for a freer flowing intake but since I am getting my car tuned anyway it wasn't really an issue.
Crazyhippy
There are alos companies that make an emulator for the TGV sensors... just the TGV motor on one side, a short shaft and the sensor on the other...

Re-programming is a better choice.

There are decent gains to be had gasket matching everything, and cleaning up the heads (requires removal though) The Exhaust ports have lots of room for improvement.

Look at the throttle body inlet, and where it meets the intake... lots of areas to clean up, and decent gains for some time and lil money.
plymouth37
I was looking at the stock intake manifold and realized that I have eliminated the need for any mounting brackets on the manifold.

Click to view attachment

I gasket matched the TGVs to the manifold.
I have wanted to go with a little more of a stock look so I decided to put a brushed finish on the manifold rather than full out polishing it.
I took a grinder to the mounts and casting marks on the manifold then hand sanded it down with 60 grit, 100 grit, and then a scotch brite pad. It is so nice to have a wife that doesn't bat an eye when you pull an intake manifold out of the dish washer...

Click to view attachment

Then I bolted the gutted TGV bodies and manifold up the the engine with new gaskets all around. The process of shaving and polishing the manifold dropped an additional 1/2 pound.

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here are another couple shots.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rnellums
The manifold looks gorgeous!
plymouth37
The WRX engine is not the best looking engine, I am trying to make it look as good as possible by re-routing and tucking everything I can.
I want to make the engine as easy to remove as possible so I am moving the connection points for all of the fuel and wiring to one location in the front of the engine.
Here is the original routing of the fuel lines.
Click to view attachment

I cut off part of the original lines and ran my own feed and return. Once I run the wiring to the "connection area" I will make a nice aluminum bracket that mounts both lines and the wiring to the alternator bracket
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I also deleted the heater loop, I cut off most of the steel tubing for the system then replaced them with a couple rubber elbows and my temp sensor housing. I still need to find some sexy hose clamps since this area will be pretty visible.
Click to view attachment

Since I am not running A/C or P/S I cut down the accessory brackets so they are only set up to hold the Alternator, I lost 1/3 pound in the process.
Click to view attachment
budman5201
Hey dont forget another 7-8 lbs in a lightened front pulley. You can find a good 2 lb one out there. Awesome manifold polish!
plymouth37
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Feb 13 2010, 11:35 PM) *

Hey dont forget another 7-8 lbs in a lightened front pulley. You can find a good 2 lb one out there. Awesome manifold polish!

That could be a good mod, off to NASIOC to do some research!
fat73
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Feb 14 2010, 01:20 AM) *

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Feb 13 2010, 11:35 PM) *

That could be a good mod, off to NASIOC to do some research!

Yep you definitely want to do the pulley. Did that on mine. I used the Cobb pulley with stock dimensions. Also makes it rev like a mutha.

Ed
Click to view attachment
d914
small point.. the svx oil fill tube is shorter and points to the outside which might actually work better in our cars..plus cleans up the look some..
daveyboybadion
Hi Dana, I've been following your build with great interest, fantastic job so far. I just received this months MCN and their innovation of the month is the Oetiker clamp. These clamps are meant to be used for fuel injection fuel lines. Check them out at www.oetiker.com. They are very attractively priced as well...daveyboy
plymouth37
Thanks for all the tips guys! Lots of good info in the last three posts!
Dr Evil
Does the original pulley not act as a harmonic balancer? If so, removing the weight could be detrimental.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.