Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
TravisNeff
How are you going to vent the engine compartment, all from below? Howza bout grill material between the humps, a la C-GT
plymouth37
Is that piece going to lift off or be hinged (for engine access)?

Yes it is going to hinge. I am going to figure out how that will work after I rebuild the metal around the engine bay.
Are you keeping the retractable wing/brake widget, or is that gone now?

The spoiler is gone, it was fun while it lasted but it was heavy and created alot of drag. Now I am using a Ferrari F430 diffuser for downforce.
How are you going to vent the engine compartment, all from below? Howza bout grill material between the humps, a la C-GT

I have looked hard at the C-GT engine lid. I will probably be bringing in air from between the humps for the intercooler and venting the engine bay out the back of the car. I have to see the lid complete before I can tell what will look good.
carr914
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jun 10 2008, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 9 2008, 07:00 PM) *

I found a guy that will cut the stock glass to fit. Or cutting a lexan one is always an option if all else fails.

A word of caution. A friend of mine in FL built a car similar to yours with a chopped and raked windshield. His was a low buck build with a plexi windshield on a rusty POS chassis that I sold him for $200. The next owner wanted a glass windshield, and a 'pro' broke 3 or 4 windshields attempting to cut it down to size.

Killler project, best of luck with it! aktion035.gif

Must have been Glenn biggrin.gif

I really like this project and the lift off roof will be very cool.

T.C.
plymouth37
Today I made a wood template to ensure that I install the windshield at the right angle after I chop it.
Click to view attachment

Then I cut the thing off so I can modify it. Looks pretty cool huh?
I also test fitted my Getty F/G bumpers, they will need a little work but are pretty close.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It is so tempting to just toss the windshield all together.
Nothing like having to wear a helmet to go for a drive! (for some reason I don't think the wife would approve. biggrin.gif )
nein14
that is smokin' aktion035.gif
dw914er
I thought your car looked sweet before (saw it on car domain and renegade a while ago)

but damn, its gonna look good. I like the concept photo too.

keep up the work, and keep us posted.
ninefourteener
I really like what you are doing.... this is definately one of the cooler "mod" builds I've seen. Plus... I'm partial to Subies smile.gif

With that.... I have to suggest you go a different direction with the wheels.

You've created (or will create) a low, fat stance for the car, and filled the wheelwells with these ricey, skinny-spoked wheels. I'd like to see you go with a more solid looking, less ricey wheel. I personally like mesh style wheels, but there are thousands of other options. Yea, you may gain a little weight, but I think that will be a small sacrifice for such a radical design.

What are you going to do with the "interior" portions of the car that are still painted?? Getting them all sanded down?? Just curious.

Are you sticking with the stock WRX TMIC setup? I was going to suggest a nice STI TMIC setup.... by the looks of the engine bay, I think it would fit nicely. I really don't think a FMIC would work with the radiator.... although that would be pretty cool.
plymouth37
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 10 2008, 03:12 PM) *

With that.... I have to suggest you go a different direction with the wheels.

You've created (or will create) a low, fat stance for the car, and filled the wheelwells with these ricey, skinny-spoked wheels. I'd like to see you go with a more solid looking, less ricey wheel. I personally like mesh style wheels, but there are thousands of other options. Yea, you may gain a little weight, but I think that will be a small sacrifice for such a radical design.

What are you going to do with the "interior" portions of the car that are still painted?? Getting them all sanded down?? Just curious.

Are you sticking with the stock WRX TMIC setup? I was going to suggest a nice STI TMIC setup.... by the looks of the engine bay, I think it would fit nicely. I really don't think a FMIC would work with the radiator.... although that would be pretty cool.

The wheels in the concept are just for fun, these are the actual wheels I will be using, they are off of a 996.
Click to view attachment

As for the interior I will remove all orange paint and paint it to match the rest of the car.
I will be running a custom top mount intercooler, the new lid creates a ton of space for plumbing. Intercooler plumbing should be kept as short as possible so a front mount intercooler is really out of the question..
Rand
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 10 2008, 03:55 PM) *

I hear ya, but have to say I like the looks a lot better WITH the windshield like your concept photo. smile.gif

That chopped/raked windshield, and the dual humps behind the cabin are exactly what really makes this thing WAY cooler than the other 914s without the targa bar and windshield that I've seen. Your design is working!
turboman808
Dam that is pretty sick. Makes me want to cut the top off of mine. HAHA
plymouth37
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2008, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 10 2008, 03:55 PM) *

I hear ya, but have to say I like the looks a lot better WITH the windshield like your concept photo. smile.gif

That chopped/raked windshield, and the dual humps behind the cabin are exactly what really makes this thing WAY cooler than the other 914s without the targa bar and windshield that I've seen. Your design is working!

agree.gif It will be a heck of a lot more tolerable to drive with a windshield as well.smile.gif
scotty b
The roof....Carson Top

Make a buck from wood, PVC pipe whatever you think would be better suited to get the line you want, Then do the panty hose fiberglass trick. Viola you have a removeable top. Glass in some attachment hardware. Tkae a look at the quick top kits made for Jeeps for the front latches and maybe some sort of vertical pin setup in the rear. Obviously the pins would have to have some sort of tension put on them to seal and protect idea.gif theraded rod would work but who wants to bolt and unbolt the F-in top everytime it rains. Peanut gallery ???
MoveQik
Dana,

You are too damn young to have that level of skills! Get it together for RRC in September! I LOVE modded cars.
Sleepin
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 10 2008, 06:55 PM) *

Dana,
Get it together for RRC in September!

agree.gif piratenanner.gif drooley.gif
plymouth37
How 'bout RRC 2012? biggrin.gif
boxstr
If you do the carson top, cover it is Hartz cloth give it a convertible top look.
SO far it looks great excellent job.
CCLIN914SPEEDSTER
championgt1
Slate gray body, black wheels. You got my vote! aktion035.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 10 2008, 07:38 PM) *

The roof....Carson Top

Make a buck from wood, PVC pipe whatever you think would be better suited to get the line you want, Then do the panty hose fiberglass trick. Viola you have a removeable top. Glass in some attachment hardware. Tkae a look at the quick top kits made for Jeeps for the front latches and maybe some sort of vertical pin setup in the rear. Obviously the pins would have to have some sort of tension put on them to seal and protect idea.gif theraded rod would work but who wants to bolt and unbolt the F-in top everytime it rains. Peanut gallery ???

sure. i would do a Campi style quick-release setup.

schweet ride
ninefourteener
An upgraded TMIC is always a good idea, particularly over the 300hp range.

What brand are you going with??

My biggest concern is heat soak.... from a poorly ventilated I/C. How exactly are you going to draw air across the I/C with the new engine cover? I assume you're going to vent it somehow.... but how will you draw air across it?

Another question..... what turbo are you using.... and what EM are you using?

I'm REALLY interested in this build.... just curious about the route you're going.
plymouth37
An upgraded TMIC is always a good idea, particularly over the 300hp range.
What brand are you going with??

Bell intercoolers, they make some really nice stuff.
My biggest concern is heat soak.... from a poorly ventilated I/C. How exactly are you going to draw air across the I/C with the new engine cover? I assume you're going to vent it somehow.... but how will you draw air across it?
I was looking at air to water intercoolers but they are pretty heavy as well as being complicated and really expensive. I will be putting in a grate between the humps and drawing air into the intercooler with fans. This is really the lightest, best bang for the buck setup and if I get a little to hot on full throttle runs an N2O sprayer is always an option. The engine bay will vent through the rear of the car which will be pretty open above the diffuser (more on that later...)
what turbo are you using ?

I am using a stock turbo. I ran with a group of subie guys in vegas and with out fail every time someone would upgrade their turbo they would regret it, oiling issues, lag, overheating etc... Subaru put a good turbo on this engine and I intend to keep it.
and what EM are you using?

I had the stock computer tuned by Vishnu Performance who did a custom job to suit my car. These guys are really talented and can pull huge numbers out of the subie engine.
plymouth37
The roof....Carson Top

sure. i would do a Campi style setup.

schweet ride

The more I research a carson style top the more I like it. I would obviously use less padding than the hot rod guys but if I could make it look like a 'vert top it would be pretty sweet. If I am going to make it to RRC (some day) a top would be good. biggrin.gif It would be really cool to be able to swap from a dedicated speedster to a coupe, it would be like having two cars!
Spoke
This is what a 914 built in 2009 might look. Awesome hood/cowl treatment. You've taken a lot of the ugly out of the 914 with this. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep the pics coming.
plymouth37
My dogs decided to wake me up at 4:45 and I couldn't get back to sleep so I got an early start on the car today dry.gif
I added a layer of 'glass to the humps.
I chopped the windshield frame and mocked it up on the car.
I need to do a little welding and cleanup to the frame such as rounding the top edge and corners before I install it for good.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

How funny is this, the car is on 18" jackstands and it's still lower than my Subie! laugh.gif
Click to view attachment

Well I think that is all for the day, I am running low on homebrew and found a good recipe for some cherry chocolate stout so I think I will do some brewing... beerchug.gif
jasons
Bitchin. Did you make the front hood too?
plymouth37
QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 12 2008, 09:10 AM) *

Bitchin. Did you make the front hood too?

I filled in the headlight holes on a stock hood but I am swapping this one out for a lightweight F/G one.

Low enough? biggrin.gif As you can see I needed to make relief cuts in the top corners to be able to spread the pillers to fit the cowl.
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Looking very good. piratenanner.gif You do some nice work Dana.
i love porsche
wow...as if your car was not already gorgeous enough..this is going to be ridiculously awesome
Ferg
I think you should paint it brown laugh.gif

Very Cool Dana, I think the early 356 grey would look sweet, I think it's Dove grey??

Ferg
plymouth37
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 12 2008, 11:36 AM) *

I think you should paint it brown laugh.gif

Very Cool Dana, I think the early 356 grey would look sweet, I think it's Dove grey??

Ferg

I do really like the dove grey, its a nice warm color. Right now I am leaning towards the slate grey but knowing me I will probably change my mind about 100 times before it gets painted.
seanery
just pick a color that will show off the great work you've done/are doing.

Color can make a huge difference. For example, my red 951's lines seem a bit softer than my previous black 951.
Ferg
IMO a NON metalic would work best on a car such as this...

Sahara Beige would be sweet aktion035.gif
Zundfolge
For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie (would be very 550 spyder-esque).

Then paint all the fiberglass parts a nice metallic silver ... or black.
plymouth37
IMO a NON metalic would work best on a car such as this...

A non-metallic would be a lot easier to spray and repair should I hit a moose. ( a real possibility up here!) Oh well, good thing I have some time to figure it out!
plymouth37
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 12 2008, 12:53 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

This is the Renegade Hybrids Subie! biggrin.gif
Zundfolge
Ok, I'm a dork bye1.gif
ericread
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:04 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

No, I don't think that's the same one...
JWest
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 03:56 PM) *

A non-metallic would be a lot easier to spray and repair should I hit a moose. ( a real possibility up here!)

Nahh, it's so low you can just drive between the moose's legs! driving.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 12 2008, 01:09 PM) *

My bad, sorry. biggrin.gif
Krieger
This may turn out to be the best looking 914 EVER!
ericread
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:14 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 11 2008, 09:32 AM) *

I am using a stock turbo. I ran with a group of subie guys in vegas and with out fail every time someone would upgrade their turbo they would regret it, oiling issues, lag, overheating etc... Subaru put a good turbo on this engine and I intend to keep it.

You know...... you could go with a slightly used VF39 (Stock STI turbo), and a set of Subaru "blue" 06-07 555cc injectors (Stock 06-07 WRX injectors).... and still be 100% OEM Subaru parts....... and probably put down another 100-125 horsepower..... safely and reliably

You're always gonna have guys with oiling problems, tuning problems, backfiring, and all sorts of other crap. Without fail, every time I hear about guys having problems like that...... they've done something wrong, or cut corners that they shouldn't have.

It's just a suggestion..... I went that route... and just crossed over 30K miles... with zero problems whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not beating you up at all... I think what you're doing is awesome..... in fact, I'm planning a similar project for the future.

In fact..... your car is the reason I bought my first issue of Subiesport.

Now, I own 2 Subies, one of which has one of the highest viewed build threads on two different national Subie sites.,.. and I even own my own Subie Site.

I just get the impression you're leaning away from a Turbo swap because of others' bad experiences. Do it right, the FIRST time, and you'll be absolutely tickled with the results.

Please keep posting.... I'm subscribed wink.gif
Rand
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:14 PM) *

laugh.gif Now THAT was funny. Oy.
plymouth37
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 12 2008, 03:00 PM) *

You know...... you could go with a slightly used VF39 (Stock STI turbo), and a set of Subaru "blue" 06-07 555cc injectors (Stock 06-07 WRX injectors).... and still be 100% OEM Subaru parts....... and probably put down another 100-125 horsepower..... safely and reliably

You're always gonna have guys with oiling problems, tuning problems, backfiring, and all sorts of other crap. Without fail, every time I hear about guys having problems like that...... they've done something wrong, or cut corners that they shouldn't have.

It's just a suggestion..... I went that route... and just crossed over 30K miles... with zero problems whatsoever.

100-125 MORE horsepower in a 1900 pound car? That sounds terrifying! w00t.gif
You are such a bad influence, I suppose I need a 930 transaxle too while I am at it? idea.gif
Zaney
Just to throw a grenade into your planning...

I found this part on a Rocketrally site. 6 speed AWD to RWD conversion sleeve.
If it would work with a STi six speed with your current engine and the other proposed Mods, it would be the Best Damn Teener hands down! beer.gif

rocketrally 6 speed part

Awesome project! Gives me inspiration for my Suby conversion!

plymouth37
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jun 12 2008, 04:41 PM) *

Just to throw a grenade into your planning...

I found this part on a Rocketrally site. 6 speed AWD to RWD conversion sleeve.
If it would work with a STi six speed with your current engine and the other proposed Mods, it would be the Best Damn Teener hands down! beer.gif

Throw as many grenades as you want! There are a ton of really smart people on this board and I really enjoy hearing everyones input.

As far as your personal grenade: I really do think an STI tranny would be great for this car. I know I could make it work, the only question is if my wallet and my patience could handle it. biggrin.gif Thanks for the link!
plymouth37
So I finished my other project for the day, say hello to 5 gallons of sweet cherry chocolate stout! Give it about a month and it will be perfect. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment

Check out the stainless steel DC sports header I installed along with a custom up-pipe I built. Purty aint it?
It frees up some horses and is 12.2 pounds lighter than the stock manifold biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ericread
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 06:57 PM) *

So I finished my other project for the day, say hello to 5 gallons of sweet cherry chocolate stout! Give it about a month and it will be perfect. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment

Check out the stainless steel DC sports header I installed along with a custom up-pipe I built. Purty aint it?
It frees up some horses and is 12.2 pounds lighter than the stock manifold biggrin.gif

First: The pipes are awesome - belongs in the Gugenheim (that's a museum for you gearheads out there).
Second: About the chocolate stout - What octane is it and how hot does it burn? You really don't drink that sh*t do you???

laugh.gif
plymouth37
What octane is it?
4% alky
how hot does it burn?
Not very biggrin.gif
You really don't drink that sh*t do you???
Heck yes! It looks like mud now because the junk hasn't settled yet. Give the yeast some time, it will clear, get kegged, and become a tasty libation! beer3.gif

And yes, the header is a work of art, DC makes some nice stuff.
PeeGreen 914
I want some biggrin.gif
ericread
I'll be in Vegas the weekend of June 28th. Will it be ready by then?????

(hint, hint)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.