Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
plymouth37
I finished the exhaust today. And here is a little diffuser action for you Kelty biggrin.gif .
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 20 2010, 05:22 PM) *

I finished the exhaust today. And here is a little diffuser action for you Kelty biggrin.gif .
Click to view attachment

Ohhh, you're such a tease. wub.gif

Happy Holidays Dana......now get back to work! welder.gif
turboman808
I'm just waiting for the day you get it all finished then get bored or have a kid. Then I will buy it off of you. Just make sure it works good first.

rocking nana.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Dec 21 2010, 01:53 PM) *

I'm just waiting for the day you get it all finished then get bored or have a kid. Then I will buy it off of you. Just make sure it works good first.

rocking nana.gif

If I ever get bored with this I am dropping in a Turbocharged Subie H6 engine backed up by a subie tranny, Perrin squeezed 600 hp out of one they dropped in an STI! And I have plenty of room for an extra pair of cylinders evilgrin.gif
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I got the last piece I needed for my exhaust system for Christmas, a stainless DC Sports up pipe to match the stainless header I have from them.
Click to view attachment
I managed to pull 4 out of the 5 studs from my renegade up pipe with out damaging them. Unfortunately one got a little galled while I was pulling it and cost $8 to replace! blink.gif
I am glad I only had to buy one!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
I am planning a couple big work days this week so stay tuned!
charliew
nickle high temp neversieze helps with stainless and aluminum and steel exhaust bolts and studs when you need to take them apart.
plymouth37
QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 27 2010, 02:27 PM) *

nickle high temp neversieze helps with stainless and aluminum and steel exhaust bolts and studs when you need to take them apart.

Good tip! The factory studs sure were in there good, had to drench them in PB blaster, double nut them, and use many big tools and swearing to get them free, it is a miracle I only damaged one of them!
PeeGreen 914
I will be watching smile.gif I love seeing new posts to this thread.
markb
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 27 2010, 01:12 PM) *

I will be watching smile.gif I love seeing new posts to this thread.

agree.gif
plymouth37
I only got in 3 or 4 hours of work today.
I welded up the blow off return tube and welded in the cantilever arm mounts.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I also built the grounding harness for the boost and coolant temp sensors.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pktzygt
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 21 2010, 11:38 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Dec 21 2010, 01:53 PM) *

rocking nana.gif

If I ever get bored with this I am dropping in a Turbocharged Subie H6 engine backed up by a subie tranny, Perrin squeezed 600 hp out of one they dropped in an STI! And I have plenty of room for an extra pair of cylinders evilgrin.gif
Click to view attachment

If you haven't already, you should go peek at what outfrontmotorsports does with those things. They are pretty neat looking sans emissions equipment and all polished up.
RJMII
If I ever get bored with this I am dropping in a Turbocharged Subie H6 engine backed up by a subie tranny, Perrin squeezed 600 hp out of one they dropped in an STI! And I have plenty of room for an extra pair of cylinders

The 3.0 is only 1.5 inches longer than the 2.5. Just sayin..

Nice work for only 4 hours, BTW.
SGB
This is the ultimate go kart.

Driving it will be a blast.
AMG
Plymouth, where did you get the adapter to bolt that engine to that trans? What trans did you use?
plymouth37
QUOTE(AMG @ Dec 30 2010, 03:53 PM) *

Plymouth, where did you get the adapter to bolt that engine to that trans? What trans did you use?

The adapter is from Kennedy , the box is the stock 914 with stock ratios. You have to be careful with first but with as light as the car is, and the torque curve of the subie engine, I feel pretty confident running it.
Mike Bellis
What clutch package are you running? Awesome build!
plymouth37
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 30 2010, 11:05 PM) *

What clutch package are you running? Awesome build!

Kennedy stage 2 pressure plate and a kennedy 9-inch Kevlar clutch disk. I am switching to a different clutch though, I was never really happy with its performance during the couple years I drove the car with subie power.
carreraguy
Lookin' good Dana - can't wait to see the final product!
I can vouch for your great car building skills - I get a lot of props on the work you did on my 914AROO when you were at Renegade! biggrin.gif
Later,
JoeSharp
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Dec 31 2010, 09:37 PM) *

Lookin' good Dana - can't wait to see the final product!
I can vouch for your great car building skills - I get a lot of props on the work you did on my 914AROO when you were at Renegade! biggrin.gif
Later,

Love your avatar Doc....
plymouth37
I finally wrapped up the rear suspension. I built all of the linkage so it was a bolt in, leaving the trailing arm unmolested. I still need to buy a couple bolts and bushings but this is pretty much it. I aligned everything and ran it through it's range of movement, everything looks and feels good as far as I can tell, the real test will come when I get it on the road.
Sure is nice to get it back on its wheels!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
Stunningly inspiring work!!! Beyond words pray.gif
Krieger
So how much suspension travel do you have in the rear? I know some bomb thrower in a previous post said that the up down motion of the arm would bind or something like that with the angle of the shock motion.
plymouth37
By removing the springs and jacking the car from the bump stops to full strut extension I get 7.5" of bind free travel, the suspension runs out of travel well before the linkage gets a chance to bind.
BKLA
Looking at this rear assembly, just for poops and giggles, seems like you could do a "kit" rear assembly that "attaches" to rollcage points in the tub.

looks like a V8 or other engine option might fit....Hmmm

You may have found another "side" business from this build, Dana! Ill bet Britain and others might be interested in a rear half kit that is assembled and ready to install!

Great job!!!
Krieger
Nice! I will be availlable to drive and sort out the bugs when your ready.
plymouth37
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 5 2011, 08:51 PM) *

Nice! I will be available to drive and sort out the bugs when your ready.

Thank you for your generosity! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
scotty b
What a Rube Goldberg setup rolleyes.gif

Stunning as usual biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 5 2011, 08:19 PM) *

It's like he's making it up as he goes.

" idea.gif maybe I should cut it in half and make a tube frame..... idea.gif i could save a lot of space by dampening the suspension laterally..... idea.gif I've got a couple of minutes, maybe I should bend up an oval exhaust..... idea.gif this needs Ferrari parts"

Like a trapeze artist working without a net. Wonder if he dreams in technicolor? yellowsleep[1].gif tunez.gif

wub.gif

scotty b
[quote name='KELTY360' date='Jan 5 2011, 08:34 PM' post='1414152']
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 5 2011, 08:19 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

[/quote]

" idea.gif maybe I should cut it in half and make a tube frame..... idea.gif i could save a lot of space by dampening the suspension laterally..... idea.gif I've got a couple of minutes, maybe I should bend up an oval exhaust..... idea.gif this needs Ferrari parts"

Like a trapeze artist working without a net. Wonder if he dreams in technicolor? yellowsleep[1].gif tunez.gif

wub.gif
[/quote]

Then there is the fibreglass. Don't get me going on that crap. Is he building a car or a boat ??? Oh I know it's a Corvette..... poke.gif At least we know he isn't buying anything from AA for this car av-943.gif
KELTY360
[quote name='scotty b' date='Jan 5 2011, 08:37 PM' post='1414154']
[quote name='KELTY360' date='Jan 5 2011, 08:34 PM' post='1414152']
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 5 2011, 08:19 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

[/quote]

wub.gif
[/quote]

Then there is the fibreglass. Don't get me going on that crap. Is he building a car or a boat ??? Oh I know it's a Corvette..... poke.gif At least we know he isn't buying anything from AA for this car av-943.gif
[/quote]

Well, he might need bumper tops. av-943.gif
plymouth37
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
It's funny 'cause it's true...
Rube Goldberg indeed, it might not be functional but at least it's entertaining! wink.gif
RJMII
Dana, why does your exhaust terminate forward of the diffuser?
buhs914
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I noticed your tranny mounts are upside-down in relation to how they are normally on a 914. Would that cause any issues for the mounts themselves since they are being "pushed on" instead of being pulled? Just curious...
RJMII
Would that cause any issues for the mounts themselves since they are being "pushed on" instead of being pulled?

The forces are still going in the same direction, and the stopping points are in the same places on the transmission. The tube frame is now doing the job that the bolts/nuts would have been doing in the stock configuration. My guess would be 'no'.
plymouth37
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 5 2011, 11:23 PM) *

Dana, why does your exhaust terminate forward of the diffuser?

I am building the car in 3 stages:
The first stage is just a drivable bare chassis, I will dyno the chassis and dial in the suspension.
The second stage will see the under body aero work done, this is when the diffuser will be mounted and the exhaust completed.
Third stage is bodywork.

QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jan 6 2011, 09:41 AM) *

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I noticed your tranny mounts are upside-down in relation to how they are normally on a 914. Would that cause any issues for the mounts themselves since they are being "pushed on" instead of being pulled? Just curious...

Since they are in the proper orientation with a reasonable load I am guessing that they will be fine. Like Kelty said building this thing is like a trapeze artist working without a net, I am going to have to thoroughly test the chassis to really see what works and what doesn't.
bfrymire
Great work. Love it.

Do have a minor question, with the exhaust as it is, anything that falls into the exhaust pipe will it not end up inside the turbo? (Water, nuts bolts, hamsters...) Am I missing something?
plymouth37
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Jan 6 2011, 01:59 PM) *

Great work. Love it.

Do have a minor question, with the exhaust as it is, anything that falls into the exhaust pipe will it not end up inside the turbo? (Water, nuts bolts, hamsters...) Am I missing something?

It is possible but the car will see very limited use with the exhaust like this, if feral hamsters become a problem I can throw a screen in there once the chassis gets closer to being drivable. I am just piecing components together for now, still a long way to go before it sees the road. The reason for the stubby exhaust is that I honestly don't know where the rest of it will go until the diffuser and maybe even the body is in place, I am just making this up as I go.
Chris Pincetich
Awesome build. And since you got all of us in the peanut gallery at 914world watching, you are never really without a net biggrin.gif

Interested in seeing the rear suspension with axles in there. Looks like the axles go either behind or inside the black squared-off piece?

Also super interested in a rear diffuser for the 914...

That exhaust would be just fine popping up out the top like a stinger on a Baja Bug! I love that look!

Thanks for sharing all the great photos and posts beerchug.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 19 2010, 09:32 PM) *

I M N awe. Definitely one of the best threads EVER on this site beerchug.gif

AGREE!!

beerchug.gif
plymouth37
I built the speed sensor bracket today, installed the axles, and painted the intercooler tubing and exhaust.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Click to view attachment
Check out inside the exhaust in this pic, you can see the O2 sensor and all the way back to the wastegate, this should flow pretty well!
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Looking at that bracket makes me wonder how your weight saving tally is going. Do you have a target weight?
plymouth37
Right now the weight savings are somewhere around 525 pounds give or take. If it ends up around 1800 pounds when it is completely done I would be happy, could end up much lighter though.
Britain Smith
What are you using for a speed sensor?

I got a Hall Effect Sensor from Small Car Performance for mine, but I haven't installed it yet.

-Britain
Hontec
Superb Dana!!!! Excellent work.... can't wait to see how you are going to build the body.. piratenanner.gif
MDG
I'm pretty sure when Dana gets an idea, right before he executes it, he goes "BWAHAHAHAaaaaaa . . ."

Too cool for words. thumb3d.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jan 8 2011, 03:33 AM) *

What are you using for a speed sensor?

I got a Hall Effect Sensor from Small Car Performance for mine, but I haven't installed it yet.

-Britain

I honestly don't remember all it says on it is "0140", I think I got it from North Hollywood Speedometer, pretty sure it is the one Renegade sells for their Subie kits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.