Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
banksyinoz
pray.gif

OMFG

i am inspired, i love this, cant wait to see the final result
tscrihfield
QUOTE(banksyinoz @ May 14 2011, 07:12 PM) *

pray.gif

OMFG

i am inspired, i love this, cant wait to see the final result

agree.gif

This is one of those threads you hope that has been finished already from years ago.... So you can read it from start to finish without waiting! Impaitience takes over when watching a Thread like this one! Great work! You are quite a fabricator!

popcorn[1].gif
Thomas
513mugsy
This has to be the most mind blowing buildup that I have ever come across. Dana you have to be the most productive fab'er that I have seen. I have a couple of questions... how much of this just comes out of your head and how much have you designed out on paper that we don't see? And how much weight could be saved if you redesigned the rear trailing arms to a chromoly tubing setup...maybe 20-25 lbs a pc? It took me 12 hours to read it all from the start. Very impressed and looking forward to seeing the finished product.
plymouth37
I ran the coolant lines today. There are a few ways to run them through a 914, I used to have rubber lines running below the floor but wanted to integrate them into the car a little better so I decided to try a different route. I poked around the site and really liked the way Britain Smith ran them in his subie conversion and decided to follow a similar path.
First I welded in tubing that led through the front firewall into the passages that pass beneath the gas tank,
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Then I opened up the other end of the passage and the end of the long and welded in tubing to protect the hose from sharp edges.
Next step is to make some nice covers to seal off the area where the hose passes through the cabin.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

plymouth37
Finally I opened up the back of the long and welded in a tube that passes through the firewall.
Click to view attachment
majkos
Hmmm........ idea.gif
I like it.

Glad you done your homework,Dana! thumb3d.gif
Britain Smith
Looking good. I want to see what you come up with to cover the lines inside the cabin...I might want you to make an extra set smile.gif Needs to be lightweight!

-Britain
plymouth37
I mounted the radiator today, I am running the standard Renegade unit, due to the new position I had to change the outlet tube's angle and the location of the bleeder. Luckily there is a helicopter repair place close to my house that can weld anything to anything so they could handle welding the aluminum radiator easily.
Keeping with my tradition of mounting everything as low and inboard as possible, the radiator is mounted far inside the trunk, it is at a pretty steep angle but with proper shrouding I believe it will cool the engine just fine.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here is a close up of the mounts, the radiator is rubber insulated at all 4 corners.
Click to view attachment
Ferg
icon_bump.gif shades.gif
plymouth37
Yeah yeah I know biggrin.gif
I actually picked up the last bits of tubing I need for the chassis this morning. welder.gif
Ferg
Coolio w00t.gif welder.gif
wingnut86
DAMN.

You get us all together for a meeting here, and there's no recent emergency/build??

OK confused24.gif

We'll wait chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif
AgPete139
Checking back in after quite some time. I like the progress. beerchug.gif

Still excited to see this puppy on the pavement again...

Pete
MDG
Where's Dana? confused24.gif Why has he foresaken us? unsure.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 24 2011, 03:46 PM) *

I saw him post on another thread yesterday so he's around. Maybe he's taken up pottery. poke.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 24 2011, 07:10 PM) *

I saw him post on another thread yesterday so he's around. Maybe he's taken up pottery. poke.gif

Sorry everybody, I am around, I am applying to grad school this December and am rushing to get applications and portfolios submitted. Have no fear, I have not forsaken you, just super busy with school!
mark21742
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 24 2011, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 24 2011, 07:10 PM) *

Sorry everybody, I am around, I am applying to grad school this December and am rushing to get applications and portfolios submitted. Have no fear, I have not forsaken you, just super busy with school!

It's a shame you don't live close to me.....I have a feeling if we parked our cars in the same big garage side by side we could motivate eachother through several productive sleepless nights in the garage smile.gif
Kraftwerk
I would like to take this opportunity to say WOW~!
Bob L.
Hi, I just found your thread, What did I miss? biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I just spent the last two days reading from the top, and have concluded 3 things:

1) I suck!
2) I have a new hero.
3) You can hate your hero.

All the other necessary praise has already been heaped upon you in sufficient quantities.

Rock on!
popcorn[1].gif
KELTY360
Is it soup yet?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Haha, no, I graduate in a week, between the chaos of school and applying to grad school I haven't had any time to even look at the car.
Hopefully once I graduate on Friday I will have plenty of time to work on the car.
I am really looking forward to getting in some 914 time soon!
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 10 2011, 10:24 PM) *

I am really looking forward to getting in some 914 time soon!

So are we. aktion035.gif

Congrats on your graduation Dana and good luck on getting into grad school. Now, enough with the excuses..... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
jcambo7
agree.gif sawzall-smiley.gif Seriously get to work. popcorn[1].gif
rudy543us
Dude

What do you do for a living, you have to be a engineer.
I'm not trying to kiss up, I am just giving credit were it is due.

Rudy beerchug.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(rudy543us @ Dec 19 2011, 08:34 PM) *

Dude

Rudy beerchug.gif

I started out trying for a degree in Mechanical Engineering, then switched to Architecture, I just graduated first in my class with an undergrad in Architecture on Friday.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 19 2011, 09:45 PM) *

Dude

Rudy beerchug.gif

I started out trying for a degree in Mechanical Engineering, then switched to Architecture, I just graduated first in my class with an undergrad in Architecture on Friday.

Congrats Dana aktion035.gif That's awesome news.

Now get to work happy11.gif
flipb
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 20 2011, 12:45 AM) *

Dude

Rudy beerchug.gif

first.gif first.gif first.gif

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the garage you design for Anklebiter. happy11.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 19 2011, 09:45 PM) *

Dude

Rudy beerchug.gif

Congrats, you should move out to the DC area and work at my wife's architecture firm. Then you could help me on my car biggrin.gif
Gint

Grats Dana. I'll buy you a beer the next time I see you.
MDG
That's fantastic news, Dana - congratulations!

But before you start building really cool looking buildings will you PUH-LEEEZE get back to work on the car.

I dunno. I just feel like I have no direction without this project moving forward. It's like waking up every morning to an overcast sky. I just don't know.
wingnut86
Absolutely!

great work.

My son changed from Biomedical to Electrical and then to Mechanical and Math recently. I like that combo first.gif
DblDog
It's obvious you have a great number us waiting for your every next move.

In reply # 872, we get to see your project in it's 'fabrication aesthetic'...it is purely visceral. Naked. Far from purist. The culmination of vision and the epitome of execution.

As we await the next chapter, would it be possible to see other views of the car?

...the 914world is watching.

(btw, one architect to another)
plymouth37
I have finally managed to make some time to work on the car!
I had an entire day so I decided to finish the last section of the cage; the connection between the front shock mount and the existing cage.
This is a pretty tricky spot to run tubing through on the 914, especially with my low knee bar but I did the best I could with it.

I started out by welding in base plates for the cage.
Not my best welding work by far but welding 1/8" plate to sheet metal is super tricky.
Click to view attachment

Next I welded in a tube from the knee bar to the shock tower.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally I welded in a second bar to triangulate the connection.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is a quick mockup with the tank.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif I've been waiting for this day to come piratenanner.gif

Looking forward ot seeing more Dana beerchug.gif
MDG
Welcome back, Dana!! Immaculate work as always. I kinda did something similar on Dave's car. thumb3d.gif
wingnut86
Ahhh, The "DANA-NATOR" is BACK! beer.gif
plymouth37
Not a ton of progress made today, I had a job interview this morning so I only had a couple of hours to work on the car this afternoon.
I didn't get a chance to seal off the holes where the tubing runs under the dash yesterday so I tackled that today.
I am glad I am pretty much done welding in this area of the car, access is a nightmare, welding upside down in a footwell sucks!

Before:
Click to view attachment

After:
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Today I started tackling the rusty spots on the tub, luckily most of my car's rust was on parts that I removed but there is still a little eating the door sill.
Click to view attachment

First I made a template of the opening to ensure everything lined up once I was finished.
Click to view attachment

Then I rebuilt the rotten area.
Click to view attachment

Finally I test fit the rocker.
Click to view attachment
jcambo7
Man finally! I was starting to have withdrawals. biggrin.gif
wingnut86
you and me both brother... popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Awesome Dana! Glad to see you back at it! Excellent work as usual biggrin.gif
MDG
Oh, Dana? Happy Birthday!
plymouth37
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 12 2012, 09:24 PM) *

Oh, Dana? Happy Birthday!

Thanks!
bigkensteele
Dude, you need to send in a tape to Spike or Speed! I would much rather watch you work than most of the JOs that have shows on those channels now. Throw in a little architecture work as an added bonus - the ultimate man show!
plymouth37
Today I repaired the other door jamb's corner that was rotted out.
Click to view attachment

I also welded in nuts to mount the Jwest shift rod bushing.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I never really finished the area around the door handle recess when I built the firewall so I decided to clean that up on both sides.
Click to view attachment

I am shaving the door handles so I filled the area where the recesses used to be and generally cleaned everything up.
Click to view attachment
513mugsy
Awesome work. Where and how are the door popper's being mounted then?
Ferg
cheer.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(513mugsy @ Jan 30 2012, 05:29 PM) *

Awesome work. Where and how are the door popper's being mounted then?

Since the car will be a true roadster I am imitating the MGA door setup.
The doors will be hollow with a cutout for storage, inside the cutout will be a cord that runs horizontally through the door.
It will be anchored at one end and attached to the latch mechanism at the other. To get in you will just reach in the car and pull the cord. Super simple, super light.

MGA door cutout:
Click to view attachment

Cord behind door panel:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.