Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
513mugsy
Even more awesome! That idea is great. I was thinking of running locks and poppers through an alarm system myself...but I also need windows and locks cause I plan on traveling when I finally saw off the rotisserie and reattach the suspension!!
3d914
That's a very cool design feature with the doors. It's evident you have a clear vision of what you want to achieve. Most achitectural/engineering type do. Keep it up.

Almost forgot - congrats on the graduation!
plymouth37
No fun work today, just cleaning up the tub in preparation for paint, I want to fill every unused hole in the tub before it gets sprayed.

Since I had to tunnel through this part of the long for the coolant hoses I figured it would be good to add some metal back into this area.
Click to view attachment

Since I was working in the area I decided to cleanup and patch any holes in the longs I had created when I removed the heater ducting.
Click to view attachment

Everything is welded, it is reassuring to find it harder and harder to find projects to do before the chassis is ready to paint!
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Hey everybody! I just wanted to check in, I haven't been able to work on the car for a while. I am working full time at an architecture firm in downtown Boulder, so "Garage Time" has been at a minimum. And on a professional note I also want to add that I got accepted to Penn's Architecture Graduate Program! I am not sure how that will effect the Anklebiter, I do know this will be an excuse to get it as complete as I can if I have to store it until I get settled somewhere. Anyway here is a current pic to tide you over, I will try to get in some time this weekend, the drivetrain half of the car only needs about a days worth of work before it will be complete.
Click to view attachment
DBCooper
Contrats on the Penn part, good school. Sorry about the Philadelphia part.
Ferg
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 17 2012, 01:21 PM) *

Contrats on the Penn part, good school. Sorry about the Philadelphia part.

No joke, hope you make it back here!!

When do you start, time for a party beer3.gif before you leave.
trojanhorsepower
Congrats!

Dr Evil
Hmmm, 6 hrs from me smile.gif Maybe 3 hrs in the future.....depending on how long you are there.
firstknight13
biggrin.gif it would be great to see you on the east coast.....!!!!!!
wingnut86
Hmmm, maybe you could even lend your expertise to Scotty, Zach and Doc on their racer build - show'em how's it's done from a tube frame point of view.

Don't forget to post pictures if you guys become "The 4 Horsemen of the Apocolypse"

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

drunk.gif drunk.gif

plymouth37
I got a little time today to pretty much wrap up the rear portion of the car.
I started off by bending and mounting the fuel return line.
Click to view attachment

Then I made the bracket for the coolant overflow tank.
Click to view attachment

I bought a "WeaponR" aluminum import tank, cheap and reasonable build quality.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally I made a mount for the intake system, I welded a bung into the tubeframe and tied the airfilter adapter into that.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Plummer

That is without question the most atractive & tastefulll departure from the 914 style I have ever seen!!
Well now that I have started a 916 look alike I want this look .
Many an afternoon has been spent looking at the rear of the 914 and 914/6 and wondering as I would doodle a fast back or slope or just think "what is this car missing?" was the question in my mind -You have the answer & wowthat is agood answer!! what would it cost to duplicate thismost attractice creation you Fu*@#$% Brilliant .This is way @#$%*&!! COOL!
plymouth37
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Mar 18 2012, 09:23 PM) *

That is without question the most atractive & tastefulll departure from the 914 style I have ever seen!!
Well now that I have started a 916 look alike I want this look .
Many an afternoon has been spent looking at the rear of the 914 and 914/6 and wondering as I would doodle a fast back or slope or just think "what is this car missing?" was the question in my mind -You have the answer & wowthat is agood answer!! what would it cost to duplicate thismost attractice creation you Fu*@#$% Brilliant .This is way @#$%*&!! COOL!

Thanks! My long term plan has been to weld up a perfect steel body, get it through paint then take a mold of it. Then I could make lightweight 'glass or carbon kits, give me 10 years and I'll sell you a carbon Anklebiter!

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 17 2012, 04:20 PM) *

No joke, hope you make it back here!!

When do you start, time for a party beer3.gif before you leave.

I won't be leaving until the fall so we have plenty of time to plan a get together, definitely going to be hitting up C&C this spring and summer so I will be around.

Also totally off topic: Anybody know of decent neighborhoods near Philly to rent a small house with a garage? The wife and I will be heading out for the Penn open house at the end of the month and I want to scout possible rentals.
plymouth37
And let me use post #914 in this thread to celebrate hitting 100,000 views!
Thank you so much for the support and encouragement you have all contributed to this thread over the years, we have come a long way!
Click to view attachment
wingnut86
I have close friends in Carlisle who are moving soon back to DC area. They have a small house and garage - upscale, but I'll ask for details. Give me a week.

Dave
plymouth37
Well it looks like I am going to Penn! We will be moving to Philly in August, I am looking forward to meeting the East Coast contingent of the club!
Since we are moving I had a decision to make with the 914, I could store it in boxes at my in-laws house in Wyoming, or I could just go for it and try to hammer it out by the end of July.
If it is a fully functioning car I have a much better chance of my wife letting me bring it along. I am taking 6 weeks off this summer to get us boxed up and get the car done. Look for lots of progress in the coming months!

Last weekend I finished the rear portion of the brake lines.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is a look at the front of the engine.
Click to view attachment

I also started fitting the nose to the chassis.
It is an almost perfect fit, I will be welding up the tilt nose soon!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

If anyone needs to repair an A/C hole this is yours for the cost of shipping! (Sold!)
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
effutuo101
keep it up Dana!
TJB/914
plymouth37,

Congratulations on your Architect career pray.gif Your Anklebiter project is outstanding and beautiful. I love the look.

BTW: Wondering where the headlights will go?? I hope you keep them in the stock location, my opinion, but it's your choice.

Tom
Ferg
Just let me know when to come over and cheer.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 17 2012, 05:39 PM) *

If anyone needs to repair an A/C hole this is yours for the cost of shipping!
Click to view attachment

Hey... PM sent. I can certainly use that trunk floor.

Thnks,

Clark
plymouth37
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 17 2012, 08:56 PM) *

Thnks,

Clark

It is all yours, give me a day or two to box it up!
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 17 2012, 07:02 PM) *

Thnks,

Clark

@malcolm2 - have Dana autograph that piece from the world famous Anklebiter - it will be worth big bucks some day!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 17 2012, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 17 2012, 07:02 PM) *

Thnks,

Clark

@malcolm2 - have Dana autograph that piece from the world famous Anklebiter - it will be worth big bucks some day!

Yeah,

Once my CF rear lid is painted you will have to sign it for me Dana biggrin.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 17 2012, 10:02 PM) *

Thnks,

Clark

Awesome, Autograph is welcome. I'll do my best to keep it whole. I PM'd my number, just call and let's work out the details.

Clark
Mr. 5150
Flip'n sweet I can see your not afriad to start from scratch! I love builders who believe limits are for the limited.
plymouth37
I finished hooking up the coolant hoses, it took a 1991 Nissan Sentra hose, half a 2001 Suburban hose and an un-identified hose I found at AutoZone to get everything connected. I am almost done hooking up all of the connections needed for the car to run. Both coolant hoses will be heat wrapped to keep heat from effecting the fuel system once I get to final assembly. Once I am done with the mechanicals I will pull the chassis apart and go into paint.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also worked on fitting the pieces of the front nose.
Click to view attachment
majkos
Go,Dana,Go! aktion035.gif

nein14
Fantastic work when will you be in Pa?
plymouth37
QUOTE(nein14 @ May 15 2012, 01:18 PM) *

Fantastic work when will you be in Pa?

We are moving out at the end of July, classes start in the middle of August.
Glad to have the site back, thanks Andy!
plymouth37
I got a little bit of work done last weekend, I am trying to finish up the handful of welding jobs left on the tub.

I focused my efforts on the tunnel, I started by bracing the clutch tube.
There wasn't anything wrong with it but it is the kind of job you have to do if you have the shifter out and the welder handy.
Click to view attachment

Next I welded in a bracket to hold the Wilwood brake proportioning valve I bought from JWest.
I figure a little adjustability in the brake bias will probably be nice once the test driving portion of the build comes around.
It will also make dialing in future brake upgrades a snap.
Click to view attachment

Finally I mounted the JWest brake tee to the firewall with a little bracket, making it possible to eliminate the stock brake regulating unit.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I cut the stock shifter end off of the original shift linkage then welded it to the JWest shift rod.
Click to view attachment

Then I mocked up the shift rod bushing on the firewall.
Click to view attachment

Next I mounted the Rennshift shifter with a custom shift knob I rigged up.
Click to view attachment

My stock shift knob was in really rough shape so I mounted the starter button from a Honda S2000 into it.
The button will be functional and the lettering lights up when it is armed.
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ May 19 2012, 12:28 AM) *
The button will be functional and the lettering lights up when it is armed.
Click to view attachment

That is cool aktion035.gif
Ferg
I thought the button was going to flip up and you were going to have an ejector seat w00t.gif
plymouth37
I was up at our cabin over the holiday weekend so no hands on work got done.
I did manage to design a hinge system that allows the nose to clear the doors as it opens though.
Here is an illustration of how it will operate. Hopefully I can get it built this weekend.

Click to view attachment

nomore9one4
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ May 29 2012, 09:28 PM) *

I was up at our cabin over the holiday weekend so no hands on work got done.
I did manage to design a hinge system that allows the nose to clear the doors as it opens though.
Here is an illustration of how it will operate. Hopefully I can get it built this weekend.

Click to view attachment

Built this weekend? lol..I could have a team of engineers and not build that in six months! You've got some mad skills smile.gif
Scott S

Built this weekend? lol..I could have a team of engineers and not build that in six months! You've got some mad skills smile.gif

agree.gif

I am pretty sure Dana could have finished my -6 conversion (that I am into right at 2 years) in an afternoon.....

Fantastic project sir!
beerchug.gif
plymouth37
I got the major elements of the nose hinge done today.
I started out by fabricating the components needed to build the hinges I designed last weekend. I used nylon spacers to serve as a bearing, I also drilled out the centers of them to adapt the standard tubing to the metric hardware. The cotter pins allow the entire nose to be removed in a couple minutes at most.
Click to view attachment

Here is a shot of the nose closed, notice the perfect door gap, my biggest concern with this project was properly aligning the nose and I think I pulled it off.
Click to view attachment

Here is the hinge system with the nose closed, I will be adding hydraulic struts to the system next. Ultimately you will never see this view because the hood will be welded to the fenders.
Click to view attachment

The nose partially open.
Click to view attachment

The nose fully open.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wingnut86
Wow.

OK, I'm officially jealous...
hissyfit.gif

What a Hot Ride beer.gif
Dasnowman
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 12 2008, 01:53 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie (would be very 550 spyder-esque).

Then paint all the fiberglass parts a nice metallic silver ... or black.

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 12 2008, 12:53 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

This is the Renegade Hybrids Subie! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 12 2008, 02:05 PM) *

Ok, I'm a dork bye1.gif

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 12 2008, 02:09 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

No, I don't think that's the same one...

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 12 2008, 01:09 PM) *

No, I don't think that's the same one...

My bad, sorry. biggrin.gif

OMG I know this was old but I just spit out my vodka and coke out my nose!
sixnotfour
Looks great beerchug.gif how about these remote operated ?
http://www.firgelliauto.com/default.php?cPath=110
DEC
This one of the best build threads I ever read.
All times a new idea with an excellent implementation
All your work is impressive.

I'm excited.
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 3 2012, 06:24 PM) *

I got the major elements of the nose hinge done today.
I started out by fabricating the components needed to build the hinges I designed last weekend. I used nylon spacers to serve as a bearing, I also drilled out the centers of them to adapt the standard tubing to the metric hardware. The cotter pins allow the entire nose to be removed in a couple minutes at most.
Click to view attachment

Here is a shot of the nose closed, notice the perfect door gap, my biggest concern with this project was properly aligning the nose and I think I pulled it off.
Click to view attachment

Here is the hinge system with the nose closed, I will be adding hydraulic struts to the system next. Ultimately you will never see this view because the hood will be welded to the fenders.
Click to view attachment

The nose partially open.
Click to view attachment

The nose fully open.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed Dana. Your garage is looking a little cluttered these days. There's even some nuts, bolts and other assorted debris on the floor. what's up with that? chair.gif shades.gif laugh.gif
Scott S
Absolutely killer Dana. pray.gif

Great to see you on Saturday!!
wingnut86
Dana - stay focused.

Excuse the pun, "don't get off" track, by focusing on accuators or STROKE!

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
lotus_65
wow
7TPorsh
OMG!!!!! This car just keeps getting cooler!
JeffBowlsby
How about on board hydraulic jacks?

Impressive... aktion035.gif
bigkensteele
I think that I suggested it a while back in this thread, but you should be on TV with this stuff. There are a handful of shows that I DVR not because I like what they are building, but just to watch the process, and your stuff is WAY cooler!
beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif
Mike Bellis
Awesome work!
plymouth37
I did a ton of cutting and freed the rear fenders from the old frame rails. If anybody wants a fairly rust free chassis half let me know, you can have it as long as you pick it up.
It is shocking how much this weighs.
Click to view attachment

I started fitting the rear portion of the body to the car. it is really surprising to see how much open space I have back here!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now that the rear portion of the body is mocked up the next task is to make the hinges to tilt it open.
It will be hinged from the back offering excellent access to the drivetrain, the lid will be welded to the fenders just like the front.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.