Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overheating and hand brake problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave S
I went and picked up my 914 this weekend and ran into some porblems on the way home and need some help to figure them out. After driving for about 40 minutes, I noticed the stock VDO (center console) gauge creeping toward the red. I was hoping that being a hot day, I was just getting a high temp, after about 20 minutes more dirving, the guage just started dipping in the red so I decided to pull over and see what was going on. I noticed a blower hose came off the right right side of the engine but coupldn't really find anything else. I let it cool till it was out of the red and started driving home again. 30 minutes later, I had to pull over again, I popped the hood and smoke was comming out unsure.gif (I never let the needled get to much into the red, just inside the red and I pull over) Well that is when I noticed oil dripping out of the car and made a nice path of where I had been driving. I checked the oil and to my amazement, the oil was about a inch and a half ABOVE the full line and the oil was spilling out of an oil cooler the the PO had installed but disconnected and left the hoses for it hanging around the inside of the engine bay. (At least that's were I hope the oil was comming from). So I let it cool again and drove home. I had to stop a total of about 4 times because this overheating issue. On the 1st time I stopped, that is when I realized that the hand brake didn't work at all. It had good tension in it, but the car would roll with the slighest breeze. So my problem that I need some help with is the overheating and the hand brake. Would the oil being to full cause the overheating? I also noticed once I got home that it looked like the PO bottomed out the car and crimped a metal tube (I thing it runs to the front cooler but not sure, I was pretty tired by that time to look at it to much) And what should be done about the hand brake? And last piece of info, that oil cooler the the PO disconnected was placed between the engine bay screen and the rain hood and he included that sandwich oil cooler adapter that is seen on Pelican auto parts, how is that thing installed? Please help me get my 914 cool and stopping with the hand brake. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
markb
You need to tell us a whole lot more about the car (year, engine, carbs or FI, etc) before we can even begin. It also helps if we know where you are. You might have a knowledgeable World member near you to help you sort it out. Is this your first 914?
Dave S
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 9 2008, 03:19 PM) *

You need to tell us a whole lot more about the car (year, engine, carbs or FI, etc) before we can even begin. It also helps if we know where you are. You might have a knowledgeable World member near you to help you sort it out. Is this your first 914?

This is my first 914 and I'm in Roseville, CA. It's a 76' 2.0 FI in place...with a disconnected aux oil cooler and a crushed line comming from the front cooler...
Eric_Shea
Sounds like your venting clearance needs to be set on you handbrake. Do a search here for threads on it. Set it to .004"

As Mark stated, we'll need to know more about your engine.

welcome.png

Put your name in your signature and let us know where in CA you are. Chances are someone can come over and check it out for you. Not knowing where you are... I can't volunteer anyone for you! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
I nominate ConeDodger to come work on your car! biggrin.gif
Ferg
agree.gif Red zone is way way to hot, almost 300 degrees...

Could be many different things, but with the addition of a second cooler that is now disconnected, makes me wonder about the stock cooler and how the oil was routed ect.

Start with the easiest first and make sure the cooling flaps are working, and if the wire from the thermostat is there and working. If no wire, make sure that they spring open to the safe setting. Jiggle the tiny arm that the wire hooks to and make sure they feel spring loaded and move freely.

Sorry, I don't have a pic to demonstrate.

Ferg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.