Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: before i put it together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
is a mess. after i remove the FRAM oil filter it looks like i can get the 3 nuts that hold the cooler off. has anyone else sucessfully removed it at this stage of disassembly? i would prefer to NOT pull the engine. the h.e.'s are off.

kevin
McMark
You have to pull the oil cooler towards the front of the car, so you can't have the impeller housing installed, which is a bitch in the car.

biggrin.gif

Remove the engine.
rhodyguy
will it slide forward enough to let me get to the seals? i guess i can spray some cleaner and blow it clean with air. if i pull the engine i will wind up spending $300. another stellar design from the p boys.

kevin
Matt Romanowski
I would pull the engine, but I'm down to about 28 minutes......

Matt
415PB
28 minutes to pull the engine. Man, I have to start practicing. Matt what method are you using to pull the engine.
TheCabinetmaker
Pretty damn good Matt. My best is 45 minutes. Yesterday. Gets easier everytime.
maf914
QUOTE(415PB @ Jan 24 2004, 08:09 AM)
28 minutes to pull the engine. Man, I have to start practicing. Matt what method are you using to pull the engine.

28 minutes ain't bad, Matt! smilie_pokal.gif

That reminds me of the Joest Audi R8 team when they changed out the entire rear end of their car (tranny, suspension, rear wing, etc) in five minutes during the 2000 Lemans. The other teams said "Oh, shit...".

The new rules require that the original tranny stay in place.

Mike
Matt Romanowski
First, I jack the car up and disconnect everything on top. Throttle cable, wiring harness (from battery and board), fuel lines. Hop under car, remove speedo cable, clutch cable. Disconnect CVs, battery strap, remove shift rod, oil temp sender wire, oil cooler lines (yes it's a 4), loosen bolts. Stick jack under car, remove mounting bolts, lower engine.

Don't ask why I got so good.

Matt
Dave_Darling
How to replace the cooler seals without removing the motor:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ooler_seals.htm

If there's anything else at all that would be easier with the engine out, just drop that sucker and do both...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.