Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stripped cv bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Its weird. 2 of my cv bolts seem soft and stripped. They all look original - as is the whole assembly. I've got all the rest out and need to get these 2 out now!

Any brilliant ideas?

Oh, I've got one - Dont sit in a puddle of brake cleaner! I burnt my behind. I had to run in and take a shower! =O
Wilhelm
Inner: Vise grips or hammer and chisel nearly tangential to edge of head.

Inner: Either remove axle and repeat above or weld a nut onto the head and use socket to get it out. The welding deal is such a hassle in my experience that it is easier to pull the axle and stub together if its the outer cv bolts. Just a reminder, if you pull the stub, don't roll the car around a bunch as the stub axle keeps the wheel bearing together.
seanery
one inner, one outer.
marks914
vise grips work sometines.
i worked some out with an air chisel on the corner and bassically turned the bolt until it was loose, then finished up by hand.

Mark
seanery
well they're free. I beat the tool as deep as I could onto the bolt then pushed as hard as I could while I tried to turn it. Luckily, it worked. I didn't really want to break out the welder, but it was next. I was gonna weld the tool to the bolt.
dbgriffith75
Just a reminder, if you pull the stub, don't roll the car around a bunch as the stub axle keeps the wheel bearing together.

...uh oh... I guess this means I'll be replacing my rear wheel bearings! I didn't realize it was that vital to the assembly.

I've had the axles out for quite a while as I'm doing body work, and the car has been rolled in and out of the garage quite a bit as needed for sandblasting. Oh well, I'm pretty sure I screwed up one wheel bearing when I was removing them, so I guess I'll just get them both replaced. I was prolly gonna need to do it anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.