Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I run my car without H/Es?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I just bought a 2.0 '74 with D-Jet (now I have two!! beerchug.gif ). The PO had taken the exhaust and HEs off the car. I want to drive the car on my driveway (1/4 long), get it good and warmed up and check the motor (leak down, compression). Can I run without HEs? Will it damage anything? If not, can I use the stub pipes that the '75/76 cars used? I have a set of these.
davep
Without stub pipes I'd guess you will damage the exhaust ports.
With stub pipes it would still be extremely noisy, and probably not run correctly (no back pressure etc).
I would not do it myself.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 10 2008, 12:41 PM) *

Without stub pipes I'd guess you will damage the exhaust ports.
With stub pipes it would still be extremely noisy, and probably not run correctly (no back pressure etc).
I would not do it myself.

agree.gif

just don't ... you'll have 15" flames shooting out of the heads and it'll be as loud as a jackhammer right next to your ear ...
shades.gif Andy
Root_Werks
Don't forget even with the stubs on there, they are probably too short and will allow too much cold air to rush back in after you shut the engine off which can damage valves and or seats by cooling them off so fast.
r_towle
not to mention the fact that the stub pipes aim forward....hmmm melting undercoating???

Cevan, I have two old HE's with beat flanges....yours for the taking free...just come and get em.

Rich
Cevan
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 10 2008, 06:55 PM) *

not to mention the fact that the stub pipes aim forward....hmmm melting undercoating???

Cevan, I have two old HE's with beat flanges....yours for the taking free...just come and get em.

Rich

Thanks for the offer. I have the stub pipes and HEs that came with my other car I could use.

Have you done anything with the Dephi green chassis??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.