Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: considering the eric shea 5 lug rear control arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
I was looking at the control arms listed on Eric Shea's site. They look pretty nice anyone have opinions?

I am also curious on the rotors to run. Do you just run a 911 rear rotor? I am sure this has been asked a million times but I did a search and got zillions on results that had no bearing.

Thanks,
Larry
PeeGreen 914
Eric will be able to help you with this. Get the ones with the Elephant racing bushings in them. I am going to get those as well and they are kick ass.
davep
Eric's products are good. The brake rotors depend on what brakes you want to run on the rear. For solid discs you have two choices, 914/6 and redrilled 914/4; these will work with 914/4 or 914/6 calipers with no adapters.
For vented discs you also have two choices, the 911 rear 20mm thick or the 914/6 GT which is very similar. The 911 rear needs to be turned down and a spacer added, or the GT rotors just bolt on. Plus the calipers need to be widened or use the 911 rear caliper and not have emergency brake unless you fabricate something. A lot depends on the intended use, for example street or track, and the amount of HP and how you intend to use it.
HAM Inc
I have two sets of his drilled 5 lug hubs. Nice work. I wouldn't have gone back for more if I didn;t like them.
LarryR
Thanks for the info. I guess I will go with those. I think for now redrilled 914 rotors should do for a stock 2.0.

Has anyone tried to set up the 911 drum style ebrake with 911 rotors and calipers on the rear?

just thinking that would be a pretty straight forward way to handle the ebrake problem.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, there are a few guys that have done that. I think Rich Johnson sells a kit for that.
Eric_Shea
911 Handbrake stuff:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4909

Did that first set almost 4 years ago. Working on our 15th set this week. They're at the powder coaters as we type. biggrin.gif

Larry, let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help. Yes, with a 2.0 914 I think the hubs are the way to go... least expensive (correct) method by far. We are on 3rd generation hubs now and I like them the best.
LarryR
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 12 2008, 09:24 PM) *

911 Handbrake stuff:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4909

Did that first set almost 4 years ago. Working on our 15th set this week. They're at the powder coaters as we type. biggrin.gif

Larry, let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help. Yes, with a 2.0 914 I think the hubs are the way to go... least expensive (correct) method by far. We are on 3rd generation hubs now and I like them the best.

Hey Eric,

I read all the way through your thread. How much for a set of arms set up with the 911 E brake? I did not see that option on your site. I can surf ebay for a 911 e brake handle.

Thanks,
Larry
JRust
Hey Eric nows his stuff! Just make sure you send in your cores happy11.gif . I know he has been getting hosed with that. Definately the way to go with his complete trailing arsm. I hear those Elephant bushings are sweet idea.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 12 2008, 10:01 PM) *

Hey Eric nows his stuff! Just make sure you send in your cores happy11.gif . I know he has been getting hosed with that. Definately the way to go with his complete trailing arsm. I hear those Elephant bushings are sweet idea.gif

I plan on going with the elephant bushings. No worries about the cores. I wont even have the title on my car for another 2 months so I can pull them off and send the corses to have them built on that.

Larry
Eric_Shea
How much for a set of arms set up with the 911 E brake?

It's $150 more in labor and it's a butt-load of work. After this last set I was thinking of raising it. biggrin.gif

I cut off the cable mount and reposition it and trim it. Weld a plate on your handbrake assemblies (you supply). Trim the brake shield tab off. Trim all 8 corners on the housings down to accept the 911 handbrake assembly. Then the whole lump gets sent to the powder coaters.

You'll need to have the custom cables made up.
LarryR
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 12 2008, 10:08 PM) *

How much for a set of arms set up with the 911 E brake?

It's $150 more in labor and it's a butt-load of work. After this last set I was thinking of raising it. biggrin.gif

I cut off the cable mount and reposition it and trim it. Weld a plate on your handbrake assemblies (you supply). Trim the brake shield tab off. Trim all 8 corners on the housings down to accept the 911 handbrake assembly. Then the whole lump gets sent to the powder coaters.

You'll need to have the custom cables made up.

Hey that sounds great Eric. The next 2 weeks are going to be absolutely swamped for me but I will pull off the arms and send you an ebrake cable in 2 weeks. If I commit now do I get the 150 addition?

I am going to want the elephant bushing arms, with the reinforced/boxed arms powder coated with 911 ebrake.

Thanks,
Larry
MoveQik
I would think twice before ordering from that Eric guy.....all that will happen is you will receive a great product as promised and it will show up before you are actually ready to do the work. Who the hell runs a business like that???

Eric, I haven't forgot about asking for some cores, I just haven't been down to the shop yet!
Eric_Shea
Mr. Wills, your commission check is in the mail wub.gif

Hey that sounds great Eric. The next 2 weeks are going to be absolutely swamped for me but I will pull off the arms and send you an ebrake cable in 2 weeks. If I commit now do I get the 150 addition?

I am going to want the elephant bushing arms, with the reinforced/boxed arms powder coated with 911 ebrake.

ebrake cable? You'll want to get the entire 911 handbrake assemblies. Parts Heaven has them. Ask for "early" assemblies 69-73 only as they will bolt onto the 914 bearing housing. Have them ship to us. They should have the address on file.

$151 if you commit today... it's going up a dollar a day for the next two months biggrin.gif

I would go with the newer version of our reinforced arms. We now mill (2) 1" holes through the arm and insert/weld in the proper lateral tube supports. This accomplishes four things; 1) same 40%+ stiffness afforded by the box kit. 2) Less welding stress on the arms. 3) almost 0 weight penalty. 4) at $100.00 complete they are less than the boxed kit (which is an additional $150 in labor alone to properly weld on the arm). That's what is on my arms.

IPB Image
RJMII
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 13 2008, 04:12 AM) *

I would think twice before ordering from that Eric guy.....all that will happen is you will receive a great product as promised and it will show up before you are actually ready to do the work. Who the hell runs a business like that???

agree.gif

same thing happened to me. he even called me about my order a couple of times to help me solve a some issues.
Eric_Shea
Don't make me drive up there! slap.gif

biggrin.gif

(commission check also in the mail)
FourBlades

Geez, all he does for me is bug me about making his guitar!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

He still hasn't sent me a hubcap, either!!! happy11.gif

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.