Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: BMW's new car condom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Tons of cool potential. One idea it got me thinking about would be the ability to change the shape/profile/lines of your car depending on the driving conditions. If nothing else, at least for me, it's thought provoking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYiEkQYhWY

r_towle
Think about how much damage a person with a key or knife could do.....wow

Rich
GringoLoco
That's sexy! You could do some cool stuff with the active aerodynamics too.
biosurfer1
interesting...but where would all the sound dampining material go? I would think that car is loud as hell
GringoLoco
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 11 2008, 10:25 AM) *

interesting...but where would all the sound dampining material go? I would think that car is loud as hell

I wouldn't care. If my car could do all that and wink at chicks, I'd wear ear plugs if I had to. Can't be any louder than my Harley...
plymouth37
Wow, very cool. As long as it didn't flap in the wind!
Krieger
Very cool! Imagine having a narrow bodied 914 that flared all the fenders at the touch of a button for those track days. aktion035.gif
Brando
I can just imagine the cost in parts and hours at the dealership when you get your first tear in the "body" due to a rock chip on the highway.
sww914
No door dings!
GringoLoco
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 11 2008, 11:34 PM) *

I can just imagine the cost in parts and hours at the dealership when you get your first tear in the "body" due to a rock chip on the highway.

They said they could install the skin on the vehicle in I forgot how long (30 minutes?), but it was quick. I'm thinking if you got a tear you'd just buy a new skin and put it on yourself. It would be expensive while it was still new technology, but I'm sure the price would settle down later. Now if they could make it out of some sort of fiber optic cloth or something, where you could make your vehicle blue, red, or whatever color at the touch of a button, that would be sweet.
alpha434
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 12 2008, 12:34 AM) *

"...two hours to put the body on..."

Did you watch it, or did you just stare at it like americans are prone to do with video media?
Brando
No need to act like a jerk alpha dry.gif

I actually paid attention. They made no mention of installing it yourself. My comment was in regards of the COST of parts AND time at the dealership. 2 Hours, yes, but at how much? If it's like most other dealers, nearly $150/hr.

Did you actually read over my post, or just skim and mis-interpret it like most americans are prone to do with printed media?

QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jun 12 2008, 12:41 AM) *
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 12 2008, 12:34 AM) *

"...two hours to put the body on..."

Did you watch it, or did you just stare at it like americans are prone to do with video media?
ericread
Small tears could probably be buffed right out. blink.gif

Replacement shouldn't be a big deal. I have heard of a couple of girls downtown that are pretty nifty with condoms... shades.gif And from what I have heard, they only charge two-bits!
SGB
I dunno. I kinda scanned this thread but lost track. My attention span is so... wait, what was I trying to say? Oh well. I think I'll watch TV. Ahhhhh.

smile.gif

Actually, it's a very natural (I'm not gonna say "organic") process to develop the shapes. Tension surfaces stretched out like a sail. Nice. Bangle was rattling on like a Starbuck's preacher, so I turned the sound down...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.