Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dwell Angle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave S
I was setting my timing last night and when I went to check my dwell, it was up to 80 degrees I pulled the cap and rotor and unscrewed the adjustment nut and was able to get the dwell down to 50 degrees but wouldn't go any lower. I know that this is just at the top of the limit but I would like to have it around mid - high 40's. I messed around with it for about a hour and a half but couldn't get it past 50 degrees. The strange thing is that it was a ways away at 80 and when I brought it in closer, it dropped to 50. Shouldn't it be the father away the less of the angle and vice versa or am I mistaken? And why wouldn't the dwell drop below 50?
Bartlett 914
Are you hooking up the meter correctly? One connection to ground and the other to the points.

QUOTE(Dave S @ Jun 12 2008, 09:18 AM) *

I was setting my timing last night and when I went to check my dwell, it was up to 80 degrees I pulled the cap and rotor and unscrewed the adjustment nut and was able to get the dwell down to 50 degrees but wouldn't go any lower. I know that this is just at the top of the limit but I would like to have it around mid - high 40's. I messed around with it for about a hour and a half but couldn't get it past 50 degrees. The strange thing is that it was a ways away at 80 and when I brought it in closer, it dropped to 50. Shouldn't it be the father away the less of the angle and vice versa or am I mistaken? And why wouldn't the dwell drop below 50?

Dave S
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 12 2008, 10:22 AM) *

Are you hooking up the meter correctly? One connection to ground and the other to the points.

I had the black lead com to ground and the red lead to the negative side of the coil...
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Dave S @ Jun 12 2008, 09:26 AM) *

I had the black lead com to ground and the red lead to the negative side of the coil...

Assuming negative side means the wire to the points.

Pitted points, bad condenser or you are not reading the meter correctly is my next guess
Dave S
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 12 2008, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave S @ Jun 12 2008, 09:26 AM) *

Assuming negative side means the wire to the points.

Pitted points, bad condenser or you are not reading the meter correctly is my next guess

It's not normal points that I am adjusting, there is a different type of distributor on the car. I set it at the arrow to .016 and got the dwell reading of 50..

Click to view attachment

Bartlett 914
Looks like the pertronics unit. I have never used one. I think you are good. Nothing to set. I hope someone with experience using these will correct me if I am wrong.
McMark
Is your meter set to 4 cyl?

That's a Pertronix Ignitor and it's not adjustable. There is a specific 'air gap' between the center ring and the pickup unit that should be established. Pertronix may have a measurement on their website.
BMartin914
Pertronix supplies a plastic feeler gauge with the ignitor to set the gap.
Dave S
I found this out AFTER I adjusted it and used a metal gauge to do it. The blade didn't seem to be affected by the magnet so hopefully I didn't screw it up. What would be the symptoms if I messed up that magnet?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.