Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: petrol tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
My tank is causing me some confusion. Is the pipe with the filter sock an inlet return from the fuel injection? Or is it the feed for the pump?
Logic tells me that the sock would filter fuel before it left the tank but when I drained the tank both outlet/inlet pipes were removed and the fuel appeared to be exiting from the non-filter sock outlet -having said that the tank was heavy and I was struggling to hold it steady.
My other question is should the outlet have the larger diameter pipe and the return the smaller or vise versa?
I have carbs so the return side will be blocked off.
F4i
The screen is for the feed not the return. Porsche does not have them anymore but you can get one through VW.
thesey914
Yeah that figures. The filter sock is in good condition, I just had to blow out all the rusty crap that had built up.
It seems to me that the larger diameter and smaller diameter outlets will only fit on one way -with the larger outlet mating to the filter.......I should've taken some pics smile.gif
Does anyone know if the tank is baffled or not?
.....and I'm not talking about asking it hard algebra questions laugh.gif
mightyohm
Fuel will exit from both pipes. This also caused me some distress the first time I found out. It turns out the return pipe is only 0.5" above the bottom of the tank.

The return pipe is the one that is towards the FRONT of the car, and does not have the sock.

If you take the pipes off and put them back (loosen the big nuts) then tell me what you use to seal them up again. I tried recently and mine leak. I need to pull it all apart again. sad.gif
thesey914
jkeyzer, Yes I am also worried about leaks and the existing gaskets look a little worse for ware. I will try a little bit of red permatex on the stock seals and will check for leaks before I re-fit the tank. Thanks for the info, Gents.
-J

P.S. -nice looking car you have in your avatar.
F4i
Try sea lube. Put it on the threads and sealing surface. It is for fuel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.