Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the most satisfying thing you've done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
Mods, upgrades, replacements...What project have you done that had the biggest payoff in satisfaction?
For me, my car was so rough that just putting on new tires and a new ignition switch was a major improvement.
On the flip side, I installed new braided brake hoses on my SC after being told it would improve the feel. Guess what? No difference.

Just curious as to what made you feel "that was definitely worth the effort".

piratenanner.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jun 12 2008, 10:56 PM) *

Mods, upgrades, replacements...What project have you done that had the biggest payoff in satisfaction?
For me, my car was so rough that just putting on new tires and a new ignition switch was a major improvement.
On the flip side, I installed new braided brake hoses on my SC after being told it would improve the feel. Guess what? No difference.

Just curious as to what made you feel "that was definitely worth the effort".

piratenanner.gif

Everything and then some.

PeeGreen 914
Yeah, I can't really say there is just one thing. Since I do most of my own work I feel the satisfaction in everything and all the performance stuff I have done kinda works together.
Rick_Eberle
For me there are two projects that are right up there on an equal footing...

The Floorpans. I bought a good MIG and learned to weld by making my own patches and forming the steel so it can't be distinguished from the original floors. (yes, they were that picky when it came to getting it registered here...)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

My Engine Build and MegaSquirt II/EDIS build with GSXR100 Throttle Bodies.
Revs like there's no tomorrow, and has over 100 ft/lbs from 2500 to 5500. From 1679 cc's! AND it's reliable enough to enjoy every day!

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
Personally the most rewarding was the interior as I did most of it myself. Overall the most rewarding was the /6 conversion that O'Brien did for me. It gave me a whole new car to enjoy. The grin can't be wiped off my face. biggrin.gif
HAM Inc
The most rewarding thing I did for my 914 was turn it into a F-Prod road racer. Lots of work for very little seat time. But the seat time I get is better than sex!
Spoke
I started with this:

Click to view attachment

And ended up with this:

Click to view attachment
SGB
Mallory diz amazed me. I considered it a real "excess" purchase, but it made my car run so much better than the Bosch .050 that was in there. I guess mine had some slop somewhere...
Root_Werks
Pulling the six and spending another un-godly amount of money on the top-end on an engine that only had 5k miles on it just for some more hp. I guess that wasn't the moment, more when everything was back together and the first drive, ah yes, I remember that day well. biggrin.gif
t collins
agree.gif
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 13 2008, 07:41 AM) *

Mallory diz amazed me. I considered it a real "excess" purchase, but it made my car run so much better than the Bosch .050 that was in there. I guess mine had some slop somewhere...

purple
Never been satisfied. Every large batch of money I throw at this car ends up shitting in my face and making it run/drive worse.

Hence my impending sale of this bucket.
ConeDodger
Raby 2270 kit. A relatively large initial investment but when you consider how much cash you can throw at a 2.0 liter without much result I would guess in the end it is almost cheap...
The thing about this modification is that EVERY time I drive the car I am SO glad I spent the money to do this. The torque will make you giggle like a school girl the first time you drive it hard and even the hundredth time you cannot help but smile...
Now if I could just figure out how to autocross the thing again. I have gone from a couple seconds back from TTOD to six seconds or so... I am going so much faster at the end of the straights that I am hitting cones for the first time in years... I need seat time. See you at the event!
J P Stein
In 1999 I bought a 2.7L long block. I rebuilt it myself and put it in the car in 2000.
Rebuilt it again this last winter. The power & reliability have been superb.
Wanna race? biggrin.gif
Gint
Lately?

Resealing the motor so it doesn't leak oil everywhere.

Last year there was this:

Superlite's

IPB Image
sean_v8_914
Gint: how do you like those BFGs?
rick 918-S
idea.gif shades.gif assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jun 13 2008, 10:10 AM) *
Gint: how do you like those BFGs?

You know, they're not bad. They aren't race rubber, but I'm even thinking about putting these on the /6. They were reasonably priced also.

Be advised that they are slightly wider (overall width of the tire) than most other street tires I measured in the same size.
StratPlayer
Found me a NOS case, built a 2.0 EFI, 96mm p/c. Powdercoated all the tin, air cleaner. Slapped it in the car and it runs like a champ. No oil leaks, peppy little car now.
Heeltoe914
This and this and that as long as I am working on it I am very satisfied.

Brakes, more power. sniffer set-up. Its all good.
brer
new steering wheel.

Handed the original owner 3900 bucks.

beer.gif
Gint
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jun 13 2008, 10:18 AM) *
Found me a NOS case, built a 2.0 EFI, 96mm p/c. Powdercoated all the tin, air cleaner. Slapped it in the car and it runs like a champ. No oil leaks, peppy little car now.
How much did the rebuild end up costing you Jim?
SirAndy
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jun 12 2008, 09:56 PM) *

What project have you done that had the biggest payoff in satisfaction?

Click to view attachment

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=44700

piratenanner.gif Andy
Root_Werks
Andy, that picture makes me think my 914 is missing a liter! w00t.gif
PeeGreen 914
pray.gif happy11.gif Me too
Phoenix914
I repainted the inside, front trunk, and fuel tank compartment of my car. There was a lot of surface rust. Por15, new tar on the driver's side floor, primer/sealer, then single stage Marathon Blue. I've done so many things to this car, but this was the most time consuming for me. Here are some shots of the floor:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ericread
Everytime I complete a weekend project, it just gets better. A couple of month's ago - fixing all of the oil leaks. Last weekend - rebuilt the pedal cluster.

It just gets more fun to drive every month!

smile.gif
Todd Enlund
So far, the absolute most satisfying thing that I've done to my car was when I brought it home and put it in the garage. biggrin.gif
dflesburg
Turned my son to the Dark Side.....

not like that sissy Skywalker kid.

Bwwwwaaaahhhhhahhhhahhhahahha!!!!!

signal914.jpg GreatPumpkin
red914.jpg dflesburg
AvalonFal
Cleaned up and painted the engine and bay.

Paul
SLITS
Turned the key , it started and I drove it ... and drove it .... and drove it ... and still driving it.
PRS914-6
Me and Andy think alike.....
Click to view attachment
Cevan
I bought it a companion last weekend:

Click to view attachment
dbgriffith75
I guess at this point, it's been restoring the flapper boxes. Not a real big deal, and I'm sure there will be much more satisfying points yet to come, but it's one more thing that I can say "yeah, it's original" and it doesn't matter who you are or what you own, keeping a classic car original is a very satisfying thing. It's something to be proud of.

... Well, okay, I guess technically I can't say they're the original boxes, because I don't know that for sure, but judging by what they looked like when I started, it seems a good bet. Either way, it's still something I can say "yeah, I did it."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.