Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is my accelerator so stiff?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
I just drove my cousins 914 and his accelerator cable was a lot softer than mine. Mine is REAL hard. If im on an incline i cant even balance the clutch and accelerator. How can I make it softer?
Jeffs9146
Check to see if the accelerator cable is wrapped around the clutch cable.

Jeff
Bleyseng
Take it all apart at the petals and lube the ball and socket joints and the hinge at the petal. Check with a mirror in the tunnel to see if its wrapped around the clutch tube. Install a lighter return spring at the carbs.
Geoff driving.gif
Drums66
Also check your throttle body, very common problem in these cars boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
The white plastic sheathing is broken at the firewall. Replace the cable. Buy a "Terry Cable" from your favorite Porsche parts place.

B
airsix
What Brad said. When I got my latest car the pedal was stiff but not enought to make me worry (In hindsight I should have). Cable broke after a few weeks. Put in the terry cable spare and it was suddenly light and smooth as could be.

-Ben M.
john rogers
There are four places that can cause stifness: The pedal which has a joint at the bottom and can be checked by unhooking the rod at the back, next the pedal assy which can be inspected , cleaned and checked by unhooking the cable ball end, next the cable since the front is unhooked then unhook the rear connection and the inner cable should slide freely and finally the engine connection. You did not say if you have carbs of FI so after you unhook the cable at the rear cycle the linkage on the engine to see if anything is starting to bind or bend. Most times it is a combination of all the parts deteriorating especially the pedal cluster area since dirt and everything that is loose inside the car can and usually does end up there. Throttle cables are easy to replace, good luck.
ne14914
Thanks for the insight. I changed the spring - solved the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.