Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 1.8T
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
okieflyr
I've been running my 03 VW 1.8T conversion for a couple of years now, and I'm about to complete the final drive train component. I located an "012" transmission which is used in the Boxster and Passat longitudinally. Shine racing installed the Quaiffe for me, and the the trans bolts straight up to the engine with out any adapter.
The cable shifting is the best thing since sliced bread, as the shift is much more direct and confirming than my 901 setup ever was. I was able to use an 84 Carrera electronic speedo directly, but it does need a little tweeking in the calibration dept as it reads about 5mph fast @highway speed.

One of the benefits of this update, is the improved gearing. As this specific transmission was designed to be behind this engine.

Did I mention the nice power? driving.gif

YMMV
drive-ability
That's nice, its so true when it comes to engine & transmission packaging. Sure there are some nice setups where they aren't made to work together but you can't go wrong here. I will surely in my next conversion use the engine & transmission package.. Good to here its working well..
John beer.gif
jim_hoyland
Very nice ! Can you explain what we are looking at in the 2 nd picture.
okieflyr
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 13 2008, 11:16 PM) *

Very nice ! Can you explain what we are looking at in the 2 nd picture.

Well, burried underneath the intake hoses, is the latest transmission to hang under the car. Here is another side view pic earlier in the process.
The trunk floor is currently removed, but will likely see a return some day.
This car was primarily built for auto-x, so Im in no hurry to store the groceries back there.
dakotaewing
Kevin -
Please post more pics ! Can you give us an idea as to how much HP
your set up has, and what kind of MPG you get?
I know the mpg could be dificult with your car primarily being an AX car -

Thanks -

Thom
andys
I think what many would be interested to know is how you solved the axle issue. Trans flange adapters? What specific axles you used? Knowing the trans output flanges are not symmetrical (3/4" off center), how did you solve the issue?

Do you have some photos of the how the motor fits the engine bay?

Andys
TravisNeff
Coolio Kev!
Wes V
I'd also like to hear about what axle / CV combination you used!!

Wes
SGB
wow.

How much time is into that mod?

again, wow.
jimkelly
that is awesome!

smoke.gif

look forward to seeing you latest upgrades at Matt's BBQ

jim
Zardozz
I see a turbo in there smile.gif
okieflyr
[quote name='dakotaewing' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:15 AM' post='1044862']
Kevin -
Please post more pics ! Can you give us an idea as to how much HP
your set up has, and what kind of MPG you get?
I know the mpg could be dificult with your car primarily being an AX car -

I had the ECU flashed by REVO, and they eliminated the immobilizer as well.
I'm currently running their Stage 1 flash, and they claim 205 hp/230 tq. This starts coming on strong around 1700 rpm.

I once thought I was getting fuel mileage in the 40's, but then tested the speedo calibration with a gps and I wasn't getting the correct range per tank that I thought. I suspect it is in the mid-upper 20's.
okieflyr
[quote name='andys' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:55 AM' post='1044877']
I think what many would be interested to know is how you solved the axle issue. Trans flange adapters? What specific axles you used? Knowing the trans output flanges are not symmetrical (3/4" off center), how did you solve the issue?

Do you have some photos of the how the motor fits the engine bay?

Andys

(Small rant to get out of the way)
I had the axles custom made to fit the flanges that I had by TheDriveSh**tShop.com.
I will NOT recommend them, as I gave them clear photos and measurements and they repeatedly wasted my time with junk.

That said, my output flanges are VW tripoid style, and considering my power range, I consider them to be adequate. The outer hub flange was a stock 4 bolt/ 2 roll pin style. The outer CV on the new axle is a 93mm 6 bolt joint. I removed the roll pins, in the flange and welded the pockets closed. I then drilled and tapped the 2 additional holes to give a 6 bolt setup and everything is tight.
The output offset is more pronounced on the left side, but my fingers are crossed that the combined vertical and horizontal offset is within range of the two joints.
The vertical angle is @5degrees, and horizontal is about 4 degrees on the left side.
The right side is 5 degrees vertical and 2-3 horizontal.
Mike Bellis
Where's the rest of this build thread?

This should be full of ideas I can steal... happy11.gif
type47
It's been on the road for a couple of years but you can never call a hobby car "finished", maybe not much more to do and enjoy it ... Love this car
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
nein14
Hey Kev
Car looks Great!!! keep up the a good work driving.gif
okieflyr
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 20 2013, 05:54 PM) *

Been driving it since 2006, I never did a World documented build for it. I post pics every once in awhile if it can contribute to someones cause.
Still runs great, gets its legs stretched every so often on long road trips driving.gif

It's getting rust bubbles here and there that need to be tended too, but I can't bare taking it off the road to do the body right. biggrin.gif
struckn
That setup is sweet. I just sold a Jetta 1.8T and always liked the idea of maybe using a 1.8T in a 914.. There was an old post with a you tube video of I beleive a 914 track car in Brazil with the 1.8T.

Now a stupid question on my part, is it a manual, or Tiptronic tranny. I had a conversation with Tony at Translog a while back and they said the Tiptronic would be too complicated due to the Computer and programing that would be required.

Doug
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Oct 20 2013, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 20 2013, 05:54 PM) *

Been driving it since 2006, I never did a World documented build for it. I post pics every once in awhile if it can contribute to someones cause.
Still runs great, gets its legs stretched every so often on long road trips driving.gif

It's getting rust bubbles here and there that need to be tended too, but I can't bare taking it off the road to do the body right. biggrin.gif

I'm finally taking my 1.8T to the dyno tuner on Tuesday. We will see if the big turbo and other parts will add up to ~350hp or so.

I love how tame the motor is for normal driving and how it comes alive when going into boost!

On Wednesday I drive the 914 500 miles to Los Angeles for the PCA Escape. Out of 300 cars, I'm the only 914 going. Magnus Walker will be judging in the car show. We will see if he likes this 914 Outlaw...
okieflyr
Doug the trans is Passat 5 speed manual and using the Boxster shift mechanisms with custom cables.

Mike your right about the drivability of this motor, it can lug around town just fine and it will open up nice when needed. biggrin.gif
shuie
Nice work. I really like the Audi conversions. I so want to build a 914 with the 4.2L ABZ and 01E TDI gearbox. Every time I start to research it I wind up going back to 1.8L setups. So much easier to make hp with the smaller and lighter turbo than the V8 NA motor. The ABZ would fit perfectly in a 914, but it just seems twice as complicated, heavier, more money, and nowhere near as flexible as the 1.8T.

Do you have a link to your build thread anywhere? Im real interested in seeing how you handled the shifter linkage.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(shuie @ Oct 21 2013, 12:46 PM) *

Do you have a link to your build thread anywhere? Im real interested in seeing how you handled the shifter linkage.

Boxster shifter and cables are the basics. Then you either retrofit the Boxster tranny linkage or like mine, you make it. You only need 10mm ball studs to use the cables.

In fact, with 10mm ball studs, you could use a boxster shifter with any tranny in a 914.

My final 6 speed solution is a Boxster 5 speed shifter with Cayman S cables that snap right on to the tranny linkage.
Tincan365
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 13 2008, 09:22 PM) *

I've been running my 03 VW 1.8T conversion for a couple of years now, and I'm about to complete the final drive train component. I located an "012" transmission which is used in the Boxster and Passat longitudinally. Shine racing installed the Quaiffe for me, and the the trans bolts straight up to the engine with out any adapter.
The cable shifting is the best thing since sliced bread, as the shift is much more direct and confirming than my 901 setup ever was. I was able to use an 84 Carrera electronic speedo directly, but it does need a little tweeking in the calibration dept as it reads about 5mph fast @highway speed.

One of the benefits of this update, is the improved gearing. As this specific transmission was designed to be behind this engine.

Did I mention the nice power? driving.gif

YMMV

Is this still on the road!?? I LOVE the idea of a 1.8t 914. I've had a 20th anniversary gti, 1.8t MK2 gti, and now a 1.8t vanagon and loved them all. I just picked up a super clean rust free, 70k original mile, single owner, parked indoor since 1981 metallic copper 2.0 914 and am thinking of audi swaps.......
If anyone else has a 1.8t 914 please chime in.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.