Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: exhaust studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ray Warren
the exhaust studs that go into the head.
should i put med strength loctite
or should i be putting anti sieze on them?

also
do i need to drop the oil to change the
push rod tube seals?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(914ray @ Jan 24 2004, 03:44 PM)
the exhaust studs that go into the head.
should i put med strength loctite
or should i be putting anti sieze on them?

do i need to drop the oil to change the
push rod tube seals?

antisieze !

they'll never unscrew themselves, and any LocTite that could take the heat would be way too permanent anyway.

i can't help you on the pushrod tube seal question. logic says if the pushrod tube opening in the case is below the oil level the oil won't drain out of the heads, but i just don't know. i bet it's close, and as long as your're going to be doing a disagreeable job to begin with, what's the added effort of an oil change :-) ... i donno; i've never done pushrod tube seals ...
DNHunt
I finally solved my exhaust leak with these 8mm X 9mm big ass exhaust studs. Inboard #3 stud always backed of so I finally drilled it to 5/16 and tapped it to fit 9mm. I also used red Locktite and torqued them to 18ftlbs

Dave
rhodyguy
dave, did small car sell you the nut in the middle or the the one on the right? did you buy, have any, extra step up studs?

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

I used these. I have 1 unused and 1 I can clean up

Dave
rhodyguy
then i presume you had to use washers. i don't like the way the ones you used sit on the flanges of the he's. the 1/4" drive socket worked well removing the 13mm nuts. if the studs are the right size i would like to get them. i going to call you.

kevin
steve@ottosvenice.com
I use this style nut , I dont have a photo but I also use VW Rabitt Diesel Ex. Studs for repairing stripped studs.
Dave_Darling
Use anti-sieze on the studs.

Don't drain the oil to change the pushrod tube seals. Just have rags on hand to wipe up the relatively small amount that will drip out when you remove the valve covers.

--DD
Jake Raby
Use MILK OF MAGNESIA on the exhaust studs, best damn anti seize in the world!

I have removed exhaust flanges from Turbo Shaft engines that see thousands of degrees with no problems by using the stuff. I also use it on spark plugs as it does not affect the grounding of the plug.
redshift
Ask Dr. MoM.

M
Ray Warren
Thanks Dave.
Ray Warren
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 25 2004, 03:36 PM)
Use MILK OF MAGNESIA on the exhaust studs, best damn anti seize in the world!

I have removed exhaust flanges from Turbo Shaft engines that see thousands of degrees with no problems by using the stuff. I also use it on spark plugs as it does not affect the grounding of the plug.

are you serious?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.