Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting the '73 front bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Tip:
When mounting the front bumper use double-sided tape to mount the 'dog bone' rubber piece to the bumper. Put the bolts in their holes on the body, and push the bumper onto the bolts. This is much easier than putting the bolts in the car, putting the dog bone on the bolts, then fitting the bumper to the bolts -- because you can't see the holes and thus lining things up is frustrating! With the dog bones on the bumper you can line up the bolts to the holes more easily.

Luckily for me, I have a small foot stool that just fit under the bumper and acted as my other set of hands to hold the bumper up while I set the bolts in to it. I hate asking for help unless I'm desperate smile.gif

Anyway, bumper is now securely on the car with the air dam and, after some more rust cleaning, the front is looking more normal clap56.gif
Joe Bob
Once you get used to it.....One person to hold it and one to wrench....IT IS a beetch to do it by your self..... blink.gif
Kargeek
Forget the 914, I'll take the Corvett! Dave H
Bleyseng
Nice touch to paint primer on the tire too!

Looks good all together!

Geoff
ChrisReale
Its a bit cumbersome, but I never had any problems
boxstr
I would recommend a floor jack, to hold the bumper up, use a rag so it doe's not scratch the chrome and I also recommend a longer bolt that will screw into the bumper to hold it in place then you screw in the smaller bolts.
CCLINWALLTALK
J P Stein
Primer is gud.....not as gud as cheep, but gud.

That pic has it all. Primer, oil drop, & rust. 914 stuff.
markb
Duct tape on the dogbones and a floor jack make things much easier.
Try it with a 916 style front end some time. It's enough to make you drink (like I need an excuse). rolleyes.gif
krk
I use tape (duct or otherwise), place the bumper in place and prop the spare tire against it to hold it in place -- no marking. It does work better with an assistant tho -- particularly one with great legs. laugh.gif

kim.
Mueller
I get rid of the bolts and use studs mounted in the bumper, much easier smile.gif

A little tape to hold the "dog bones" from sliding off the studs helps as well.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 25 2004, 09:46 AM)
I get rid of the bolts and use studs mounted in the bumper, much easier smile.gif

A little tape to hold the "dog bones" from sliding off the studs helps as well.

smilie_pokal.gif That's the way to do it! Great idea...next time smile.gif
Eric Taylor
Why don't you just shove the bolts throught the body and place the dog bones on them. Then just put the bumper up to the bolt's and wrench away. I've never had any problems, but then again all the dog bone's on my bumpers were rusted on to them smile.gif
Eric
Neal
I am converting my 76 to the older style bumpers, what is the best way to mark and drill the bumper mounting holes ?

Neal
Joe Bob
There should be dimples on the inside that you drill out. Remember you need to grind the lip off that the later bumpers use to attach to the body....
Neal
Mike, how about the back, is there dimples there because I did not see any, at least the top bolts you can see in the trunk.
Neal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.