Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: relay box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
we pulled the engine on the yellow beauty and found when we pulled the relay box the bottom had been raped. half the black insulation tar has been removed. it is a 1.8 fi and I am replaceing it with a 2270 with webers. do I need to keep this relay box?
my researdh says it is for the FI but I dont know if it has other functions.

Bernie confused24.gif
Qarl
It has the voltage regulator, the fuses for the heater fan blower, the rear window defroster (if you have it), and something else...
Aaron Cox
im running webers and i kept the box....controls other stuff than FI too

peel all the tar off, and pot it with RTV black silicone.
SirAndy
runs the puel pump too ...
bernbomb914
Is there a way to test it to make sure that it is working correctly?

Bernie
Aaron Cox
trial and error? laugh.gif , ask DD, im sure he knows, being the electrical guru
sj914
The relay board is just a board that has contacts like a pcb. Just take a a multimeter and the haynes manual and check for continuity. If your just running webers, you can delete the board and rewire for the fuel pump, heater blower and starter.
McMark
Don't forget the Tach and coil 12v is in that bunch as well.

Leave it there.
sj914
Okay leave it then. But if your really serious about taking it out, you'll have to run separate wiring for those things. Especially if it uses a relay or fuse.
bernbomb914
Thanks for the info I will clean it up and keep it where it belongs

Bernie
Dave_Darling
You can indeed get rid of it, but you have to connect all of the wires of the various harnesses that hook up to it to each other correctly. You will also need to mount the voltage regulator correctly and hook it up into the alternator warning light circuit. And mount relays for the heater blower fan (if you have one) and for the fuel pump (strongly recommended).

Easier to keep the board.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.