Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air conditioning for a '74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrofit
Some time ago there was an air conditioning discussion and someone wrote about a shop/person in Florida that was working up an A/C system for Porsche 914. We were all encouraged to email this individual to provide moral support for his efforts and show that 914 people were interested in his AC system.
Whatever happened with that? Sounded lilke this guy was onto something good...
computers4kids
QUOTE(retrofit @ Jun 17 2008, 06:30 PM) *

Some time ago there was an air conditioning discussion and someone wrote about a shop/person in Florida that was working up an A/C system for Porsche 914. We were all encouraged to email this individual to provide moral support for his efforts and show that 914 people were interested in his AC system.

I spoke to him about two weeks ago. At that time, he had the bracket and compressor ready to go. He thought he was about a month out before the condensor would be ready.
retrofit
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 17 2008, 06:52 PM) *

I spoke to him about two weeks ago. At that time, he had the bracket and compressor ready to go. He thought he was about a month out before the condensor would be ready.

Could you post his website address for me/us. I saved the thought but lost the address...
Being you are from Visalia I bet AC is your mind right about now. I drove my '74 up to Modesto about 2:30 and it was only in the low 90's but the car felt hotter than that. I would sacrifice a few HP for AC right about now.
What is the projected cost of an aftermarket AC unit? Curious...
Allen
zx-niner
Probably Gilmore Enterprises, www.gilmore-enterprises.net. I bookmarked their site some time ago to keep track of the 914 A/C progress. That's good news if they have a set up available within a matter of one or so months.

Steve
Merced, CA
computers4kids
QUOTE(retrofit @ Jun 17 2008, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 17 2008, 06:52 PM) *

Could you post his website address for me/us. I saved the thought but lost the address...
Being you are from Visalia I bet AC is your mind right about now. I drove my '74 up to Modesto about 2:30 and it was only in the low 90's but the car felt hotter than that. I would sacrifice a few HP for AC right about now.
What is the projected cost of an aftermarket AC unit? Curious...
Allen

Hi Allen,
Actually here is the correct company. Real nice guy...
Gilmore Enterprises
URY914
Wow, the guy is right across the bay from me. When he gets his 914 kit ready I'd be happy to go look at it for the members.

Paul
retrofit
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 18 2008, 08:36 AM) *

Wow, the guy is right across the bay from me. When he gets his 914 kit ready I'd be happy to go look at it for the members.

Paul

Paul
Keep an eye on Gilmore for us. Good to have someone in the group that is in the neighborhood. Really curious to see what this guy comes up with...
Allen
kerensky
I always thought the underdash unit in my 'teener worked pretty well. The single exception was the lack of idle compensation - it'd always die at stoplights. Of course in the intervening years I've gotten pretty good at heel-and-toe'ing so even that's not a huge deal anymore. wink.gif
D1A3
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hmmm..... Sounds about the same as what he was telling Rob two years ago...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50432

Anyone local got the time to take a ride over and meet with Ed Gilmore to "see" the actual status?

914rrr
[quote name='D1A3' date='Jun 21 2008, 10:49 AM' post='1047633']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hmmm..... Sounds about the same as what he was telling Rob two years ago...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50432

Anyone local got the time to take a ride over and meet with Ed Gilmore to "see" the actual status?
[/quote]

I've known Ed for many years. He knows his stuff about AC systems for air cooled cars. Trouble is, he's basicly a 'one man band' and has been working on a custom VW rod for the past year or so, working on customer's cars, manufacturing other existing AC systems, etc., etc. You get the picture.

One hold up he had was having a donor car to install a system in. First potential donor was a rusty POS, next one was a guy who lost interest in fixing his teener, next one was missing a front trunk floor, etc. He offered to install one in my 73 2.0 when I lived in FL, but I was too busy driving it, and I was getting ready to move to TN anyway.

It'll happen....eventually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.