Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shock snubber height?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
Does anyone know the length of the strut/shock bump stops?

The last time I had new Sh&St's installed it appears they left them off, and I ended up with a broken strut insert.

Bought new set of Bilstiens, arrived without needed snubbers. Cust. service tells me if I'll get them the length they'll send me something for the rears. and said that the fronts were built into the insert,
Can anyone confirm that as I'm a little leery, being they didn't initially know what bump stops were. Sorry for the long post.

Scott headbang.gif
SLITS
2 3/4" or 70 mm
rascobo
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 19 2008, 06:20 PM) *

2 3/4" or 70 mm

pray.gif
Thanks SLITS. (BTW I won't ask) rolleyes.gif

Still hoping someones got info on the front bump stop issue.
SLITS
That measurement was off a stock snubber. A good percentageof the cars I have fixed, taken apart, junked or otherwise have had these on both inserts, along with a plastic white washer with slots in it.

The washer apparently releases air as the snubber compresses.

Reported to save a shock on a severe bump.

In racing production cars, we would cut the down in length for two purposes. One we lowered the car and had to adjust contact point. Two it would reduce a tendency of suspension deflection oscillation with a full bouncy rubber.

Anyway, that's how I remember it. flag.gif
rascobo
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 19 2008, 11:02 PM) *

That measurement was off a stock snubber. A good percentageof the cars I have fixed, taken apart, junked or otherwise have had these on both inserts, along with a plastic white washer with slots in it.

The washer apparently releases air as the snubber compresses.

Reported to save a shock on a severe bump.

In racing production cars, we would cut the down in length for two purposes. One we lowered the car and had to adjust contact point. Two it would reduce a tendency of suspension deflection oscillation with a full bouncy rubber.

Anyway, that's how I remember it. flag.gif

Resolved the 'front supplemental spring' issue; Bilstien among some other manufactures DO incorporate them internally to their struts, but NOT their shocks. Until I can find some modern foam ones I think I'll cut down some NOS 911 hard rubber ones to 70mm to protect the rears.
SLITS
The stockers should work really well. You can see they are 3 bands** of thick and 3 or so thin rubber areas. The thin allows the bellows to compress at a variable rate. Once the thick areas are pushed together, it forms a very strong cylinder.

Ok, so I'm cheap.

** or more
914Sixer
Have you priced these lately? They are in the $70 each range from Porsche. I had a set of new ones in the attic over the garage and they crumbled to pieces in less than a year. What another $150 bucks? There must be something else out there that can be used! 924,944 bump stops???
Borderline
Koni sells bump rubbers for a little less: Koni shocks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.