Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V6/ V8 Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
Installing new shocks & struts and figure it's time for new springs while I'm at it. The existing ones are 20+ yr. old 140lbs.er's, and could use stiffer ones . My cars a daily driver and gets as much spirited back road cruising time as I can manage. The cars got stock 19mm fr. 17mm rear sway bars, new Bilstien Sports, is lowered and currently wearing 215/60 14's fr. & 225/60 14's rear (5lug w/16" 8's & 10's soon!)

What springs would you install?
plymouth37
QUOTE(rascobo @ Jun 19 2008, 06:57 PM) *

Installing new shocks & struts and figure it's time for new springs while I'm at it. The existing ones are 20+ yr. old 140lbs.er's, and could use stiffer ones . My cars a daily driver and gets as much spirited back road cruising time as I can manage. The cars got stock 19mm fr. 17mm rear sway bars, new Bilstien Sports, is lowered and currently wearing 215/60 14's fr. & 225/60 14's rear (5lug w/16" 8's & 10's soon!)

What springs would you install?

Renegade Hybrids sells nice 200# rear springs that would work well for a V8 car.
I am running 180# springs on my lighter subie powered car and they are a good match for the lighter engine.
I don't know how much your V6 engine weighs but either the 200 or 180 pounders would probably work pretty well.
300lbs
rascobo
QUOTE(396 @ Jun 19 2008, 08:25 PM) *

300lbs

I'VE GOT 300#.... CAN I GET A FOUR#...? av-943.gif
rascobo
What advantages are there in 'progressive rate' springs? Better ride?
plymouth37
QUOTE(rascobo @ Jun 19 2008, 08:35 PM) *

What advantages are there in 'progressive rate' springs? Better ride?

The progressive springs are softer for small bumps and firmer for the large bumps. This makes for a more comfortable ride but are not always the best choice for a high performance car because they have inconsistant reactions to bumps and under hard cornering.
The constant rate springs always perform the same way on all bumps and are therefore more predictable and usually better for high performance cars.
wbergtho
I put Hypercoil 200/500 progressives on my car and it handles way better now. Before (w/ 180lb springs) the front end pushed/understeered alot. Now with 200/500 progressives...I haul ass around the track and on the street much better than before. I have a fairly stiff front end with 930 front suspension complete and Bilstein inserts front and rear. Your set up may differ wildly...I'm just telling you about my results. It has taken quite some time to reach the handling I'm now experiencing. BTW, my car has an LS6 V-8...so I needed a little extra in the rear to support that modification. Good luck!
SirAndy
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 19 2008, 07:46 PM) *

The progressive springs are softer for small bumps and firmer for the large bumps. This makes for a more comfortable ride but are not always the best choice for a high performance car because they have inconsistant reactions to bumps and under hard cornering.
The constant rate springs always perform the same way on all bumps and are therefore more predictable and usually better for high performance cars.

agree.gif
rascobo
unsure.gif
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jun 19 2008, 11:09 PM) *

I put Hypercoil 200/500 progressives on my car and it handles way better now. Before (w/ 180lb springs) the front end pushed/understeered alot. Now with 200/500 progressives...I haul ass around the track and on the street much better than before. I have a fairly stiff front end with 930 front suspension complete and Bilstein inserts front and rear. Your set up may differ wildly...I'm just telling you about my results. It has taken quite some time to reach the handling I'm now experiencing. BTW, my car has an LS6 V-8...so I needed a little extra in the rear to support that modification. Good luck!

Dear '0396',

I seriously thought you were kidding, but after reading 'wbergtho's' post , I 'm wimp enough to admit I might have been wrong..Wait a minute , no I'm not, You deserve whatever derision I toss your way for posting such a short, concise post. Let this be a lessen, in the future perhaps you'll fill them out with more babble and bs.gif , uh...like me. unsure.gif
rascobo

Thanks. I checked their web page, and will contact them tomorrow to see if they can please me as much as they have You.

Scott
rascobo

I found them listed in the 2.5" I.D. category. Are these the ones your using? If so do you know if I need different perches or other parts to fit them to the Bilstein shocks as they come set up for stock 3" springs?

Thanks , Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.