Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate these old school european fuses!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rotary'14
I've been kicking around this idea for awhile,,
I made this from some parts that were in my parts bin.
Rotary'14
The fuse strip is from an early 90's BMW
Rotary'14
other side
Rotary'14
I have plenty of room to place some labels for all the fuses. 25 fuses total are possible. I don't think I will come near using them all. I don't imagine a problem wiring the original stuff to this because it's done with common spade connectors.

I think it's a cheap way to add newer fuses and have extra fused leads.
kerensky
Nice work! But, how are you going to get your original clear plastic fuse cover to mate up to that? wink.gif
Rotary'14
The fuses fit so far up out of the way now that there is no real need to cover the fuses. Also if you happen to bump the fuses now it will NOT pop out! biggrin.gif

Root_Werks
Shoot, I cannot remember now, but isn't there someone here who makes a "kit" that you can basically just plug-in and go? McMark Maybe?
rjames
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 20 2008, 10:26 AM) *

Shoot, I cannot remember now, but isn't there someone here who makes a "kit" that you can basically just plug-in and go? McMark Maybe?

Engman sells one. In fact I still need to install mine!

linky
Rotary'14
Jwest and Engman make kits that cost about $100. They look like nice kits that replace the stock unit. I am a cheapo owner that likes to have extra fused leads for things like radio, amps, fuel injection, and any other things that I can't think of now. It's like those of us who would choose to make a set of 6 engine tins vs buying somebody else's kit. And the best part for me is that even after I buy the connectors and paint I will have at most $20 bucks into it.
ericread
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jun 20 2008, 10:39 AM) *

Jwest and Engman make kits that cost about $100. They look like nice kits that replace the stock unit. I am a cheapo owner that likes to have extra fused leads for things like radio, amps, fuel injection, and any other things that I can't think of now. It's like those of us who would choose to make a set of 6 engine tins vs buying somebody else's kit. And the best part for me is that even after I buy the connectors and paint I will have at most $20 bucks into it.

agree.gif

I am considering both the Engman or JWest kits, but I really do like the idea of extra fused links...

Hmmmmmm..... idea.gif
sean_v8_914
this mod kills many 914 gremlins. erratic tach, weird brake light dimming, alt light on dim, touch the brakes and tach goes dead...that stupid #4 fuse...

buy a kit or make one but do it. I have installed 3 Engman kits. time is money and it would take several hours plus running around plus materials to make one of comparable quality
913B
Dam Robert you get A+. Any chance you will making it a kit or something for sale ?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 20 2008, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 20 2008, 10:26 AM) *

Engman sells one. In fact I still need to install mine!

linky

Ahhhhh yes, that's who it was. Thanks for the link!
6freak
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jun 20 2008, 09:53 AM) *

The fuses fit so far up out of the way now that there is no real need to cover the fuses. Also if you happen to bump the fuses now it will NOT pop out! biggrin.gif

two weeks after i bought my car i kicked the fuse panel and 3/4 of them fell out onto the floor board.to top it all off it was dark with no flash lite.I used a bic lighter found them all and installed them and drove home. Ive learned to keep my big feet out of the way
McMark
Very cool. You should have plenty of room in that bad boy. The only opinion I'll add is that it would be nice if you didn't cut the stock harness. Somebody may want to bring it back to original someday. You could make a pigtail for each connector with a male spade on the end. "Make every change reversible," is one of my mantras. wink.gif

Keep the creativity going!
Rotary'14
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 20 2008, 11:58 AM) *

Very cool. You should have plenty of room in that bad boy. The only opinion I'll add is that it would be nice if you didn't cut the stock harness. Somebody may want to bring it back to original someday. You could make a pigtail for each connector with a male spade on the end. "Make every change reversible," is one of my mantras. wink.gif

Keep the creativity going!

I agree that I would put an insulated spade on each of those wires to interface with the stock wires ( so it can be returned to stock one day maybe).

No porsche913b_sp, I don't plan on selling these. I just wanted to show the CSOB newb out there, with more time than money,, a cheap solution that's an improvement too!
Rotary'14
I recieved a PM regarding which BMW the fuse block comes out of. I asked my buddy who gave me the fuse block and he says that it came out of an E38 BMW,, 1994-2001 BMW 7 series.
byndbad914
while you're at it, I would recommend if you have the desire to make everything right, go into the wiring and redo how it is fused... fuse the 12V positive side of everything. The wiring in the stock car fuses the item being powered, but not the switches. So... if you get a short at the switch (which is very common with these old switches) it will simply burn the car to the ground for you.

In my car, I bought a GM fuse block (essentially the same thing you are doing) and rewired the whole configuration so I have a short positive run to the fuse block (which is fused), then every positive elsewhere in the car is fused immediately. I had quite a few "brown" wires up under the dash as they were getting toasty and probably just about ready to catch fire that I just happened to notice, so I got lucky catching that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.