Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev it up and watch it pop!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
On the way home last week, sitting in a parking lot traffic situation on 215 east. Looked down at my temp guage... Holy shit it is reading 280!!! Pull off the highway, let the temps come down to 220, head towards home and about 3 miles before my exit.... Chitty Chitty BANG BANG!!! Smoke and steam everywhere!!! Definately blew the headgasket and warped the hell out of the heads piratenanner.gif

Looking like I am buying a new engine!!!

Actaully, I am not bothered at all about this... Come to find out that the so called WRX engine in my car is not a true WRX... It is a 2.0 but not with all the WRX goodies... Sooooo.

$2500 for a newer engine and should be even more powerful than before!

driving.gif
GringoLoco
Umm, congratulations? laugh.gif

Good luck with your engine swap!
TravisNeff
STI 2.5 short block and some heads
WRX914
I am torn 50/50...

one half is happy this happened because there would be no way I would just throw the current engine away to get a true WRX 2.0

the other half is pissed... I do well, but don't have $2500 burning holes in my pocket expecially after buying our bass boat that goes 80 mph!

so...

either I can look at it as a bummer, or as a oportunity to put more power to the ground.

As far as the 2.5 option... I have all of the modified and/or custom pieces of the puzzle for the 2.0 and with a little tuning the 2.0 goes like hell. My ECU is programmable from Crawford Performance/I-Speed and I am definately keeping that as it was expensive as hell and it makes the stock 2.0 haul the mail.
Elliot Cannon
80 miles per hour?? Isn't that kind of slow for a bass boat? av-943.gif
jimkelly
what is your opinion on having a radiator mounted to the firewall ( in engine bay ) for a non turbo suby engine conversion ??

have you ever considered putting a sub trans in your 914 ??

jim
scotty914
now jim you know it works. now if i can just figure why my timing belt slipped

as for the engine, get the 2.5 sti block and deck the old heads and go for it
jimkelly
you know me

stirthepot.gif

would be nice if renegade offered a kit for IN engine bay radiator install - for non tubo engine conversions.

scott - is your engine mounted further rearward than renegade puts their suby powerplants?
bfrymire
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 20 2008, 06:04 PM) *

you know me

stirthepot.gif

would be nice if renegade offered a kit for IN engine bay radiator install - for non tubo engine conversions.

scott - is your engine mounted further rearward than renegade puts their suby powerplants?

I spoke to Scott at Renegade, and he says he felt that the raditator in the front is the most reliable way to cool the car. Stating that the Rad in the engine bay had erratic cooling behavior. (Cools at idle, overheats at 70.)

I am going to try in in the engine bay regardless. smile.gif Always liked a challenge.

-- brett
LvSteveH
Sorry to hear about your motor Keith.

Now there are at least 10 non-running 914's within a 1/2 mile radius of my house sad.gif
Crazyhippy
MASSIVE boost works better...

It's fixable, i promise drunk.gif
scotty914
my engine is mounted with the stock tranny mounted on the stock tranny mount. never had any problem with over heating at any speed with one minor exception, it got to 220 in new mexico when doing the wwc 05. including idleing down hill at one mph in death valley, willow springs where i was not being nice to the car. the most worried i was, was when i lost my shifter bar going to see grasshopper in WV. drove home at highway speeds in 4 th gear, it wanted to climb but i coasted down the hills.
WRX914
Well, it is looking as if I am switching to the STI block. It is looking like about the same money spent with more available power. No brainer!!!

Once complete, I will take a short inside video of the acceleration.

We shall see what comes next...

bigger turbo?

confused24.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Jun 20 2008, 08:57 PM) *

Sorry to hear about your motor Keith.

Now there are at least 10 non-running 914's within a 1/2 mile radius of my house sad.gif

Sorry about the motor Keith. It will be even better now...

So Steve if 7 are yours and one is Keiths, who owns the other two confused24.gif av-943.gif
LvSteveH
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 24 2008, 03:34 PM) *

So Steve if 7 are yours and one is Keiths, who owns the other two confused24.gif av-943.gif

My wife's laugh.gif
atomix8
Do you know what caused this cooling failure to happen on the 2.0 litre? Sounds like your fans didn't turn on perhaps? Scary to think it could happen again with your fresh STI block.

Good luck no the swap.
racerx9146
As a SVX powered Vanagon owner you may want to watch for something the Vanagon-Subaru community has noticed. The Subaru water pump does seem to be able to push much water at idle with the increased run of the water lines. If I let mine idle for more than 10 mins the temp starts to climb rapidly. Hold it at 2000 RPM for a few mins and all is well. I know water is not flowing because the the rad fan sensor does not come one. Also in the winter my heater does stay warm if I sit and idle for a while.

As soon as you raise idle the water flows and the fan comes on.

The radiator hoses are not as long in a 914 but you way want to check for this situation.

John Daron

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Jun 20 2008, 12:28 PM) *

On the way home last week, sitting in a parking lot traffic situation on 215 east. Looked down at my temp guage... Holy shit it is reading 280!!!

KaptKaos
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Jun 20 2008, 11:55 AM) *

.... expecially after buying our bass boat that goes 80 mph!

Last I checked, bass don't swim that fast happy11.gif av-943.gif
WRX914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 25 2008, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Jun 20 2008, 11:55 AM) *

.... expecially after buying our bass boat that goes 80 mph!

Last I checked, bass don't swim that fast happy11.gif av-943.gif

They sure don't Kapt'n...

But when I fish tournaments, you better have a fast boat to get to the honey holes before your competition. And I can't own anything that is slow, just not in my nature...

street legal go-kart
For about half of what you will pay elsewhere,

Shen Chain Trading , Oakland, Ca.
510-562-7578

complete
any Suby motor you want.

JT
WRX914
Bought a brand new Subaru STI short block (from Subaru direct) shipped to my door for $1,870.00

Another 400 in labor to switch over all of my goodies and lap the heads...

My 2.0 liter put out 221 hp. Not an estimate, but this is a true hp reading as it was on the dyno at Crawford Performance. Speaking to my local Flat 4 club (Subaru club) the tuner that everyone pointed me to told me that a conservative hp forcast will be around 275 at the rear wheels. I am debating if I should just go ahead and match the STI turbo and injectors now. Couple that to a new ECU map and I can expect numbers around 4-500 reliable hp's.

Don't exactly know what route I will take, but it is safe to say it will be MUCH faster than it used to be.

VegasRacer - how the hell r u?

Once the new engine is in, lets go for a rip! We used to be damn near dead nuts, (I think I would barely pull you) but now, it should be a handful...

Keith
WRX914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 20 2008, 05:05 PM) *

what is your opinion on having a radiator mounted to the firewall ( in engine bay ) for a non turbo suby engine conversion ??

have you ever considered putting a sub trans in your 914 ??

jim

Jim,

I really don't know how well Tony's final mount ended up. But last I believe it is a viable option if you stick with a normaly aspirated engine (non-turbo). Don't hold me to it, but I think that is correct. The nice thing about these engines is that the shortblocks for most every Suby are identical in size and engine mount locations. I have seen some wicked fast Subys that are not turbo's so the firewall location may be of interest to those who could care less of the turbo.

I have considered it, but don't know of the costs...

Keith
WRX914
Just received the BRAND NEW Subaru STI short block last night. It is so small and lightweight that I did not believe that there was an actual short block in the box. Opened it up and sure enough it is all there! I picked the block up with no issues whatsoever and walked it through my garage and easily put it on my workbench.

Now I am starting the disassembly/reassemble process with the old and new.

STI short block (2.5 L) BRAND NEW SHIPPED directly from Subaru - $1,740.00!!!!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty914 @ Jun 21 2008, 06:58 PM) *

my engine is mounted with the stock tranny mounted on the stock tranny mount. never had any problem with over heating at any speed with one minor exception, it got to 220 in new mexico when doing the wwc 05. including idleing down hill at one mph in death valley, willow springs where i was not being nice to the car. the most worried i was, was when i lost my shifter bar going to see grasshopper in WV. drove home at highway speeds in 4 th gear, it wanted to climb but i coasted down the hills.

I can vouch for this. I was there too. We were crawling in construction traffic in Death Valley. It sucked! My engine was starting to creep. Scotts was fine with his rear mounted radiator.
WRX914
Removed the old 2.0 on Friday evening. The new 2.5 is being dressed this week and should be alive and breathing fire in a week or two.

Crazyhippy
Call me. I am really good at spending money for other people.

Modded stock injectors, and an 18G (turbochargers.com $800 bucks new), along w/ a big Intercooler ($175 on e-bay) before you get it re-tuned.

It WILL be a monster beerchug.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jul 26 2008, 11:38 AM) *

It WILL be a monster beerchug.gif

Go fix boats or something. av-943.gif

How ya been? Had lunch with Hutton last week. We talked about you. happy11.gif
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
WRX914
BJ

Send me a PM with your cell #.

For now, I am using the stock 2.0 injectors with a fresh turbo (my old turbo had a leaking seal) and the old heads needed reworked. Should be enough for now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.