Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotary Narp Update! with pics!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rotary'14
Having kids inbetween starting and finishing a project sure can be daunting. At times it seems like no matter how much $$ I threw at it, it devoured it and I didn't seem any closer to finishing my project. My time was stretched this way and that. Fer you young whipper snappers with no kids yet,,, enjoy your toys NOW!!
With that said, you can see in my sig where my project resurection phase 1 petered out.

Here's Mobi (aka:rotary narp) Since my last post Mobi got new;

5-lug suspension swap

Rebuilt M calipers with new rotors bearings, etc.

Powder coated A-arms with new bushings

Thru Body sway bar 22mm

Rear Susp. rebuilt with new bushings, bearings,, etc.

A set of E. Shea rebuilt rear V-calipers with new shaved vented rotors (so I have a working stock P-brake and vented rotors!! woo hoo)

A set of 4 Bilsteins for each corner.

A working MegaSquirt with spark control!

Wiring harness is done for above set up.

I got a 50mm IDA style throttle body set up for fuel injection with 4 injectors.

Here are some pics as she sits now.
Rotary'14
engine compartment
Rotary'14
engine compartment
Rotary'14
Front Suspension
Rotary'14
Rear Suspension
Rotary'14
Interior
Rotary'14
Front trunk.
Rotary'14
Front trunk.
Rotary'14
All I need to do to get her in running condition is to finish the exhaust, get an overflow bottle, and see how she runs.

Getting to this point in the build I was most worried about sorting out the MegaSquirt for a rotary with it's funky ignition. It turns out that MS is not that difficult to pick up and is very adaptable. I feel the most satisfacation from my accomplishing this. I modified a stock RX-7 harness to use with my build. I have 4x460cc injectors,, but I also have 550s too of those prove too small.
yeahmag
Cool project. Where in Los Angeles are you? I'd love to come check it out...

-Aaron
JRust
Looks like you are making good progress to me. We don't measure in time here. It is simply what you get to do. Doesn't matter if there is a year layoff between things confused24.gif . Seriously though it is looking good. Looks well thought out & will be a sweet setup soon it sounds like. Keep going man your almost there piratenanner.gif
ericread
WOW! Pretty cool. Just for some of us who didn't look at your earlier posts, can you provide a quick review of the rotary engine you are using?

Edit-Add: And what are you doing for a transmission?

I had a 79 RX-7 - Man could that thing wind!

Looking forward to seeing more!!!

Eric Read
kerensky
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 20 2008, 10:00 PM) *
We don't measure in time here. It is simply what you get to do. Doesn't matter if there is a year layoff between things...
What about a 21 year layoff? See, OP, don't feel so bad. smile.gif
Rotary'14
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 21 2008, 10:50 PM) *

WOW! Pretty cool. Just for some of us who didn't look at your earlier posts, can you provide a quick review of the rotary engine you are using?

Eric Read

I'm using a 1974 13B modified with a streetport (all you do is remove material,, but what a difference) It has never been on a dyno but according to accepted specs 225 HP 8500 rpm conservative redline all in a highly streetable package.
It will be breathing thru a Tweak-It performance weber IDA style throttle body with 4 injectors. Controlling the intake and spark, I have made a MegaSquirt FI system, that interfaces with the ignition system of a 90s Turbo Rx7. MegaSquirt is bitchin' for those who aren't intimidated by a fancy presentation.
For my transmission I have a rebuilt 901 (stock) transmission with a Kennedy adapter plate. I am using the stock transmission linkage, and have a RennShift if it needs it.

ericread
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jun 22 2008, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 21 2008, 10:50 PM) *

Eric Read

I'm using a 1974 13B modified with a streetport (all you do is remove material,, but what a difference) It has never been on a dyno but according to accepted specs 225 HP 8500 rpm conservative redline all in a highly streetable package.
It will be breathing thru a Tweak-It performance weber IDA style throttle body with 4 injectors. Controlling the intake and spark, I have made a MegaSquirt FI system, that interfaces with the ignition system of a 90s Turbo Rx7. MegaSquirt is bitchin' for those who aren't intimidated by a fancy presentation.
For my transmission I have a rebuilt 901 (stock) transmission with a Kennedy adapter plate. I am using the stock transmission linkage, and have a RennShift if it needs it.

DAMN!!! That's gogin to be a fast car!!! The only problem is that to get a decent exhaust note you'll probably have to use a fart can! laugh.gif

Seriously, I look forward to seeing this. If you race or A/X, are you going to have to be in a class that equals twice your displacement (i.e. ealrier wankel engine displacementt class placement)?

Please keep us updated - more pictures are always welcome.

Eric Read

jimkelly
that thing seems to have a pretty big oil cooling requirement.

i hope you get good air flow thru your radiator - plan to add any duct work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.