Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Water injection improving gas mileage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
So I have tried a water injection system before. It was about 5 years ago & we used it on a few cars. My father in law started it. It was supposed to use distilled water. We had mixed results with the cars we tried. Along with our mechanic who tried some too. Eventually the support just wasn't there & we quit the project. We did see a noticable jump in response on their park avenue. It would seriously throw you back in your seat when the system was on. It did not improve gas mileage though. I noticed a decent increase in response in my 240sx. Mileage improved on that also from low 20's to high to low 30's. The system seemed to be faulty though. It would work for a week then quit. I couldn't keep it working & although my mechanic was great with everything. The company which I am kicking myself for not remembering just didn't support their product, They tried to help at first but definately gave up.

So I do think there is merit here with water injection. I am just wondering if anyone is using it? If they are what system are they using? Is it just a total crock & a scammers dream?
914Sixer
There was a short blurb early this month on the 3 local tv stations about a guy here in San Antonio that had a working water injection system he was selling and converting cars. He was awaiting Government approval to go ahead for something.
mel reckling
Although there are a lot of questions about Brown's gas, it's hard not to be impressed with the work Hydrogen Technologies did in developing the water torch/welder and the on-the-fly HHO extraction system. They have had a few vehicles that worked pretty well. If I could scrape together the $7,500 to buy one of their units, I'd convert my house to get off natural gas dependancy. The stuff does burn and burn cleanly.

Personally, I believe the government and big oil is scared to death and is pigeon-holing us into a potentially dangerous situation. I believe they want us using hydrogen pumped from huge tanks where potential 'mini-Hindenbergs' will scare the public away from the technology. The mental picture of some hillbilly self-serving his car/truck yacking on his cell phone while not paying attention taking out a city block makes my skin crawl. The idea that a car could run 100 miles on 4 ounces of water has got to scare Exxon/Mobil to death. Sure would make the 'Peak oil' myth disappear quickly.

The gas price crisis can be solved overnight quite easily. The rash of speculators who have jumped into the commodities market(none of who are playing it short), who have caused the oil price to skyrocket by way of rumors and false shortages and control over 1 billion barrels currently, can be shaken out of the market by a few simple steps. First, they have to re-instate the controls to where they were before June 2000, taking oil out of the commodities market. Or, because of the ability to margin a barrel of oil for $8(or in simple terms 16x the money you put up), force the speculators to take delivery of the product. None of these people are oil people and have no facilities to store the amounts they purchase. It's as simple as saying "You just bought $150 million of oil, back your tanker up to the dock". If you can't prove you have the ability to do this, you can't play in the pool.

Windfall profit taxes on the oil companies would only give our government more money to waste. The money should go back to the consumer who has paid through the nose. Make the companies sell 'at cost' for a year to level out their obscene profits they have been seeing. That would get their attention.

There are probably a lot of scams out there, but the HHO system looks like it could work. I am currently looking for a beater car to try it on.

Just my $.02.
DBCooper
It's an idea that seems to reappear every couple of decades. The first I saw was in the late fifties, early sixties, and what's ironic is that people back then had basically your same experience. Lots of them said there were some indications of an improvement, some huge improvements, but they stopped using the water because there was absolutely no support by the vendor. So there were a lot of cars you'd pull the glass (!) bottle and carrier out of, and unwind the rubber hose from the air cleaner. I will say one thing, if they were still using the water when you did a valve job there was ABSOLUTELY no carbon build-up in their combustion chambers. Those heads were just as clean at 80 thousand miles as they were new. I saw it reappear again in the late seventies, with the oil embargo prices.
JRust
I really would like to find a system & give it a try again. I drive a Diesel excursion & it does okay for a big rig. Still I average around 17 unless I am pulling a trailer which drops it to 13. I have not done any mods which can help. I was hoping someone here was using one & having good results. If anyone hears of one let me know. There are tons of systems on google but many of them are scams. I'd like to find a good solid company idea.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 21 2008, 12:35 PM) *

I really would like to find a system & give it a try again. I drive a Diesel excursion & it does okay for a big rig. Still I average around 17 unless I am pulling a trailer which drops it to 13. I have not done any mods which can help. I was hoping someone here was using one & having good results. If anyone hears of one let me know. There are tons of systems on google but many of them are scams. I'd like to find a good solid company idea.gif

Why not build your own and let this forum know.
Jeffs9146
FYI

No matter how you say it HHO is H2O just written differently!!

It is a water injection system written to sound like something new!
SLITS
Krap ... jes go purchase a Hudson Hornet

and

dihydrogen oxide

and

HOH

and

HOOH (heavy water)

and

H[sub]2[/sub]O (damnit mad.gif ... won't let me use html tags)
orange914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 21 2008, 10:35 AM) *

If anyone hears of one let me know. There are tons of systems on google but many of them are scams. I'd like to find a good solid company idea.gif

me too idea.gif
Crazyhippy
Snow performance...

Kenny Dutweiler (HUGE name in hot rod motor building circles) mentioned them in "Car Craft" magazine an isue or 2 back.

Also been written up in a few diesel mags.

BJH
736conver
I brought it up in an earlier thread this year, and the usual happen. People shoot it down and claim BS. Say they have a bridge to sell me.

I am almost done building my unit. My next door neighbor has had his HHO unit on his Saturn for a while now. He has recorded between 25-30% increase in mileage.

SLITS
Not meant to shoot it down, 'cause water injection works. It was used in Hudsons, I believe, to enhance acceleration. Only problem was it froze in the winter.

Water, flashed to steam, under pressure, is a very powerful driving force.
Mark Henry
Could be myth, but I've heard WW2 spitfires had a water injection system, for an emergency power boost, you had to break a seal to use it. The seal let the mechanic know the engine needed rebuilding.

One thing I know for sure if you ever had a failure and flooded your engine at any speed it would bend all your rods.
toon1
I work with a guy who did it. He said the accel. perfomance was great but it waas hard on the engine.

He did it for fun and didn't have it running for long.

I've also been interested in it. This could easily be done with an MS system.

Smitty911
P-51 Mustangs also had a water injection system. They would open what they called the "Twiddle Valve" and adjust it from the upper left side of the cockpit.

Are we talking about two different systems?

One Water injection into the motor.

Two splitting the water into H and O?

Smitty
jjs3rd914
In the early 1980's I had a VW bus (camper) that we installed a Corvair drive train. We used the bus to tow a trailer (FV race car). I installed a water injection system (Edlebrock I think) on the Corvair engine to reduce pinging. Leaded premium was getting hard to find. It actually did work (reduced the pinging) but was a pain to keep adjusted. I do not remember any real performance or mileage improvements.

Just recently I found the brain and two of the nozzles, but nothing else of the old system. Sold them on ebay and I believe at least $50 for the parts. So there must be an interest in the systems once again.

jjs3rd914
kerensky
QUOTE(jjs3rd914 @ Jun 21 2008, 07:16 PM) *

In the early 1980's I had a VW bus (camper) that we installed a Corvair drive train. We used the bus to tow a trailer (FV race car). I installed a water injection system (Edlebrock I think) on the Corvair engine to reduce pinging. Leaded premium was getting hard to find. It actually did work (reduced the pinging) but was a pain to keep adjusted. I do not remember any real performance or mileage improvements.

Just recently I found the brain and two of the nozzles, but nothing else of the old system. Sold them on ebay and I believe at least $50 for the parts. So there must be an interest in the systems once again.

jjs3rd914

We had a similar system on our old Ford van back in the early 80s. Worked great for keeping it from pinging. Essentially you're using it to cool the fuel/air charge, which reduces preignition and allows you to run higher ignition advance (or boost in turbo applications). The advanced timing can improve mileage in some cases, but it'd probably vary widely depending upon the car and your driving habits.
Mikey914
I think there could be some improvement, but I would be concerned that the mixture is being changed. You would not only need to install the seporation system, but the ECU would require some tweeking (if you were really seeing any benift), as not you have unmetered fuel being introduced to the combustion process. This is where you should see the most gains, you reduce the gasoline being used, replacing it with Hydrogen. Then you may have issues with the quantity / rate staying consistant. The real danger would be letting the system run dry, or it freezing, because then your ECU would be running your engine way too lean.

.....Just some fuel for the fire....... literally
orange914
huh.gif so i'm understanding i'm looking at 2 diffent water systems. one is hydragen which fuels the combustion and the other is basicly injecting water to keep the temp down alowing benifits like being able to add timing therfore giving better mileage/power.

mike
Dave_Darling
Yes, that's correct. Water injection will reduce intake temps and may in some circumstances provide more power, due to the way that steam expands. It also will clean up the inside of the chambers.

"HHO", or "Brown's gas", or "run your car on water", are scams that pretend you can get energy by turning water into hydrogen and oxygen and then back into water. (Unless I am proven wrong, then I will ask how the f**k that can possibly work... wink.gif )

--DD
SLITS
Mythbusters tried one of the "water splitters". Couldn't generate enough HH to get the engine to run.

I've got a device you hang on the exhaust system ... it captures unburned fuel, condenses it and returns it to your tank. bs.gif av-943.gif

Maybe we should talk the EPA** into capturing all the bovine flatulence (methane gas) that's ruining our atmosphere and burn it.

DD's right .... old trick was to pour a cup of water down the carburetor slowly while running a 2K rpm. The steam flash would knock the deposits off the heads, pistons and valves. Pour it to fast and you kill the engine or bust a piston.

**Freakin' dope smokin' idjuts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.