Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to set the timing for a v-8 in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
OK...got the motor started for the first time yesterday, but I have no idea what the timing is and am really not comfortable just timing the motor by ear. I cannot see any timing marks because of the way the v-8 is right up against the body of the car.

How do you v-8 guys time your car??? Inquiring minds want to know. From what I've read, timing should be 6-10 degrees advanced with vacumm advanced plugged.

Chevy 305
HEI ignition
Vortec Heads
Roller Rockers
chrome molly push rods
Eldebrock torquer maniforls with Weber 600 carb
headers
etc, etc
LvSteveH
I posted this in your other thread before I saw this one.

"I agree, don't time it by ear.

If you use a piston stop you can establish perfect TDC and mark it under the car. I've marked the balancer (on the bottom) and the flywheel via the hole in the bottom of the trans and either works fine. A timing light with an advance dial makes it easier.

It's annoying to time it under the car, but it works.

To make a piston stop you can take the center out of a spark plug and weld in a bolt with the head cut off. Then round the end so it doesn't damage the piston. You can determine the length with the engine close to TDC then check the depth of the piston through the hole. It will get you pretty close.

Basically you want the length to be just long enough to mark a spot on one side of TDC where the engine won't turn any more. Then spin the engine all the way around and mark the other side of TDC. The center between those two marks will be TDC. Just be careful not to slam the piston into the stop, rotate it slowly."
byndbad914
additionally, get a dial-back light for ease and set total timing at 3K rpm with the vacuum advance disconnected. YOu can check what the initial timing is for grins, but it is sort of a BS #. All you really care about is total timing and initial will be what it will be.

I would guess you want to be around 34deg total timing (you're about close enough to sea level in Visalia) but really you would want to chassis dyno the car if you were super anal (like me smile.gif ) and find best timing by power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.