Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nice werk lymie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. The underside of the hood on the Ferrari kit I'm werking on had a few knots in it. I start sanding away expecting to hit either an air pocket in the glass or just a mound of resin. WELL what I find is indeed a pocket in the glass. but what is IN the pocket is the kicker. It appears to be f-in tile mastic ! You can even see the trowel marks in it !! If anyone on the fiberglass business can tell me what this is all about I'd LOVE to know blink.gif
914Sixer
popcorn[1].gif Very interesting!!!!
scotty914
if that was a vacumned mold i would bet they cut the vac early. it looks like foamed epoxy pulling thru the glass into the pocket but did not let it sit long enough to suck the pockets closed.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 21 2008, 07:13 PM) *

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. The underside of the hood on the Ferrari kit I'm werking on had a few knots in it. I start sanding away expecting to hit either an air pocket in the glass or just a mound of resin. WELL what I find is indeed a pocket in the glass. but what is IN the pocket is the kicker. It appears to be f-in tile mastic ! You can even see the trowel marks in it !! If anyone on the fiberglass business can tell me what this is all about I'd LOVE to know blink.gif

It's closed cell pour foam. I have used it extensively in body panels and props. Primary use is in the boat hull industry for Coast Guard floatation requirements. It allows thinner mat layups and thickens the panel over straight mat and resin also enhancing rigidity. It does require a tool to spread it out in large surface areas so a trowel used wouldn't surprise me. If the non exterior surface is a little wavey it is PF.
scotty b
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jun 22 2008, 01:25 PM) *

It's closed cell pour foam. I have used it extensively in body panels and props. Primary use is in the boat hull industry for Coast Guard floatation requirements. It allows thinner mat layups and thickens the panel over straight mat and resin also enhancing rigidity. It does require a tool to spread it out in large surface areas so a trowel used wouldn't surprise me. If the non exterior surface is a little wavey it is PF.

AH HA !! Sometimes I think there is someone from EVERY possible field on this board. biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 22 2008, 01:30 PM) *

AH HA !! Sometimes I think there is someone from EVERY possible field on this board. biggrin.gif

so... did you have a question about cold fusion? go ahead and ask me biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
[quote name='type47' date='Jun 22 2008, 05:56 PM' post='1048102']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 22 2008, 01:30 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

[/quote]

so... did you have a question about cold fusion? go ahead and ask me biggrin.gif
[/quote]

What is the Helium-4 (42He or 4He)? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
Jeff Hail
[quote name='So.Cal.914' date='Jun 22 2008, 08:32 PM' post='1048170']
[quote name='type47' date='Jun 22 2008, 05:56 PM' post='1048102']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 22 2008, 01:30 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is the Helium-4 (42He or 4He)? confused24.gif

Rollin film

biggrin.gif
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.