Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why anti-sway bars are a good thing,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So at our AX today Troy "Messix" was running his anti-sway barless car and I got a few good pictures. drunk.gif

First we must take a look at the festive shirt he is wearing laugh.gif
PeeGreen 914
No wait... it gets better biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
With all things considered he was only 10.5 seconds off top time. Not bad for a wollowy stock 914.
ericread
For no sway bars, looks like he was putting his 914 through it's pace pretty well. Nice pics!

Eric Read
Sleepin
Right about here I would be thinking "please slide, please slide, please slide!" biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Cool pics!
BMXerror
HAHA! Looks familiar! This is me last year!
Click to view attachment
I was also off top time by about 10 seconds. This problem will, hopefully, be resolved this month before the Shoot-out! Good Shots!
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
I was actually thinking more "Please don't flip." av-943.gif
kerensky
Heh, go watch some VW water-pumpers AX sometime. Those things lift the back wheel off the ground like a dog at a hydrant!
rhodyguy
10.5 off of what, ttod? with a relatively unmodified car, he should have been placed in stock. the classing system just sucks.
PeeGreen 914
He was in the stock class. I'm just saying that he did well. He had a 57 and change while the top time of the day was a 47.043.
Here is a video of my car before I purchased it at a AX in TN. I love the sway as it heads back at the camera. aktion035.gif

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x61/967...3914AutoXTN.flv

ConeDodger
Don't look now but when he gets a sway bar and figures out the new line a lot of you guys are going to get sent to the back of the line! 10 seconds off TTOD with a car that isn't set up is phenomenal... Way to go...

Now jack it the Fuch up and put on that sway bar!!!

This is with a STOCK sway bar...
jetboy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 22 2008, 10:45 AM) *

Don't look now but when he gets a sway bar and figures out the new line a lot of you guys are going to get sent to the back of the line! 10 seconds off TTOD with a car that isn't set up is phenomenal... Way to go...

Now jack it the Fuch up and put on that sway bar!!!

IPB Image

Is that with only a stock front? Or front and rear?
BMXerror
QUOTE(jetboy @ Jun 22 2008, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 22 2008, 10:45 AM) *

Is that with only a stock front? Or front and rear?

Very good question. I'm interested to know myself! As much as I love making time, am I the only one that thinks the roll is just a little bit cute?.. Kinda like a girl with braces!
Mark D.
turboman808
I once saw a guy at the autox with a 1993 civic the was completely stock but with HUGE sticky hoosiers. I really thought that car was gonna flip.
ConeDodger
The picture above is a stock front and rear sway bar. Debate over whether a rear bar is needed or beneficial has gone on almost as long as the cars have been in existence. I consider it a matter of driver preference. I prefer it. I would probably unhook it on a track though as the higher speeds might lead to the rear coming around. I am going to the Tarret Bar soon. I will have a stocker to sell!!!
PeeGreen 914
When I was debating the removal of the rear bar I did two runs with it and took it off for the other two runs. The car felt much better without it. However, my suspension is very stiff and I think it was being counter productive with the bar on. Now I have a TB diff and really don't want a rear bar on.

The Tarret bar looks very nice. I will update my heavy weltmeister to a Tarret someday. I already have the drop links and they are nice wink.gif
rhodyguy
jetboy, if you're refering to troy's car (messix), the one with the lean, it runs no bars f or r, stock 1.8 l-jet(i think), no trick suspension bits, street tires,...up here you're stock, or gtu, or gto. a 914 with 2.0 fi (4 cyl) engined car with webers gets thrown in with 6s up 2.4, big pumped up 2270s, flares, 911s, lightened up cars, basicly tricked out. i imagine troy had the quickest run time in stock. from the rules i've noted in other regions, the playing field is much different. nice working it troy.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 22 2008, 08:35 PM) *

jetboy, if you're refering to troy's car (messix), the one with the lean, it runs no bars f or r, stock 1.8 l-jet(i think), no trick suspension bits, street tires,...up here you're stock, or gtu, or gto. a 914 with 2.0 fi (4 cyl) engined car with webers gets thrown in with 6s up 2.4, big pumped up 2270s, flares, 911s, lightened up cars, basicly tricked out. i imagine troy had the quickest run time in stock. from the rules i've noted in other regions, the playing field is much different. nice working it troy.

There's also the P (prepaired) group Kevin. A stock 2.0 with minor suspension mods and slick shoes can run in P. If you do more than you are stuck with me in GTU or Eric in GTO or Leeds in Mod. biggrin.gif Troy can do a few things still and stay in the S class.
rhodyguy
i didn't know about the P grouping. is it new? i suck at axing anyway. no need to further embarrass myself. wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
I don't think it's new but I have only been autocrossing for five years. I know nothing of what they had before. Seems as if they are always changing something in the rules.

At least in PCA the 914s have fair classes. SCCA seems to like to do whatever it takes to screw us 914 guys. headbang.gif Why the hell am I in FP? My little 130hp car is in the same class as a 300hp miata? chair.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 22 2008, 08:57 PM) *

I don't think it's new but I have only been autocrossing for five years. I know nothing of what they had before. Seems as if they are always changing something in the rules.

At least in PCA the 914s have fair classes. SCCA seems to like to do whatever it takes to screw us 914 guys. headbang.gif Why the hell am I in FP? My little 130hp car is in the same class as a 300hp miata? chair.gif

Holy shmit rocky!!! Where did a Miata get 300 HP??? That would put it in supercar class with its light weight! Supercharger? Turbocharger?
Sleepin
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 22 2008, 10:40 PM) *

Where did a Miata get 300 HP??? That would put it in supercar class with its light weight! Supercharger? Turbocharger?

Right here in Grand Junction probably..... Flyin Miata

...I have been thinking Ferg needs to bring his little gayfight.gif down here. poke.gif hide.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, it is supercharged and it pisses me off. My car isn't built to my class though. I have been building it to PCA GTU specs but when I'm done I may shoot for SCCA. It's not always about the car anyways wink.gif I need more seat time piratenanner.gif
messix

not that day... i came in 2nd

out of 2 cars in s1 mad.gif

but the car/ the driver that beat me was -3sec from me and is a teeny bopper in a 944 that comes from racing shifter carts. good nice kid from a P-car family{nephew of Fordahls, must have some genetic advantage} and a very good driver.
jetboy

jetboy, if you're refering to troy's car (messix), the one with the lean, it runs no bars f or r, stock 1.8 l-jet(i think), no trick suspension bits, street tires,..

Sorry, my quote didnt add the pic (fixed). I was refering to conedodgers post about stock sways.
J P Stein

If you're talkin' about Mr. Brown, he's in SCCA D Mod or XP depending on his weight.

As for you......RTFRB and build accordingly. Your local classing is just that, local.
At Parade (PCA National rules), you'd be in Mod 2, I think . We run "small region" PCA rules here in Portland....you'd be in Mod.

Neither sanctioning body cares about your HP, just your engine size and if it came in there or not. If you wanna show up with a knife for a gunfight, have at it. biggrin.gif

I run SCCA E Mod......under powered, over weight, under tired...pretty well developed, tho.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 22 2008, 11:07 PM) *

If you're talkin' about Mr. Brown, he's in SCCA D Mod or XP depending on his weight.

As for you......RTFRB and build accordingly. Your local classing is just that, local.
At Parade (PCA National rules), you'd be in Mod 2, I think . We run "small region" PCA rules here in Portland....you'd be in Mod.

Neither sanctioning body cares about your HP, just your engine size and if it came in there or not. If you wanna show up with a knife for a gunfight, have at it. biggrin.gif

I run SCCA E Mod......under powered, over weight, under tired...pretty well developed, tho.

My car will never beat your car biggrin.gif Well, at least in theory. I always like co-driving with someone. Then you know your playing with the same weapon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.