Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Used slicks list updated
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
J P Stein
23.0 X 9.5 X 15 Hoosier cantilever slicks R35 compound. These fit on 7 or 8 inch wide wheels. Approx 1/8 in depth at the wear dots. 4 ea , 80 bucks + shipping.
Joe Ricard
Bump

Seems like everyone is taking your advice. BUY new tires and leave the take offs for the "also ran guys".

If I needed tires I would snatch these up in a heart beat but I already have 3 sets to use up this year.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 25 2008, 03:17 PM) *

Bump

Seems like everyone is taking your advice. BUY new tires and leave the take offs for the "also ran guys".

If I needed tires I would snatch these up in a heart beat but I already have 3 sets to use up this year.

They are cheep & good for fitment, testing, figuring air pressures.....just don't take em' to a National Tour event. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 22 2008, 08:21 PM) *

23.0 X 9.5 X 15 Hoosier cantilever slicks R35 compound. These fit on 7 or 8 inch wide wheels. Approx 1/8 in depth at the wear dots. 4 ea , 80 bucks + shipping.

you mean R350 compund? i need a set of R250 ...

what's the treadwear difference between the two?
idea.gif Andy
J P Stein
R35 is the softest canti Hoosier makes.

Question: How many classes did Goodyear win at the SCCA Solo Nationals?
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 26 2008, 01:30 PM) *

aha!

i somehow missed the hoosier part ... rolleyes.gif

i've got a set of those on my 17" rims ... the goodyears are a great compromise between stickage and lastingness ...

i ain't no SCCA Solo National Winner ... i'm just out there to have fun every once in a while ...
shades.gif Andy
J P Stein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2008, 06:09 PM) *

i've got a set of those on my 17" rims ... the goodyears are a great compromise between stickage and lastingness ...

"Lastingness" eh? New wurds are gud. biggrin.gif
Not trying to be a smart ass but, how do you know?
Until you've done a back to back on stickers vs heat cycled out you really don't.

I can tell you that a new set is worth 1-1.5 sec on a 50 second course but until you try it yourself, my statement is just that of any other internet exspurt.

Sure, the old ones stick decent and there is still lots of rubber on them... but the new ones stick great. By the time around 3/32' of rubber (SWAG) is gone off new ones they are old ones.....about 50 (+/- 10) passes and the thrill is gone.

BTW, I'm out there for fun also, but more often. About half the events I go to are infested by hardcore AX mofos. Several of these guys get free tiars. If we are not at the top of our game we can't even get close to them. huh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 28 2008, 07:13 AM) *

"Lastingness" eh? New wurds are gud. biggrin.gif
Not trying to be a smart ass but, how do you know?

i got my my first set of 9" GoodYear R250s *used* from bill pickering. he had run them for a full season of AX on the old "kitty" 914 AX monster.
they came mounted on a set of 15x7 cookie cutters.

that was 4 years ago.

i schtill run those same wheels and tires at AX and i'm gonna go and run them at the upcoming AX shootout ...

are they as good as brand new ones? course not. but they schtill provide *plenty* of schtickage and schtill have rubber left on them!

i'm guessing at least 50 AX events. if you count each run as a heat cycle, we're talking 400 cycles ...

they're sitting in my closet right now, rubber schtill schticks when i touch 'em ( wub.gif )
the first run out, they feel like driving on ice, after that, the rubber gets muschy again and schticks.

well enough for my schkills anyways ... biggrin.gif

flame away ...
stirthepot.gif
J P Stein
No flame, discussion, eh?
See you at the Shoot Out. I'll be bringing my gun (& hired gunfighter) with stickers.
Anybody else here goin'?
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 26 2008, 02:30 PM) *

Question, Who offers best contingency? Best tire and what people use arent always the same. I think you will find many top SCCA guys prefer GY on surfaces we have in Nor Cal.

I will have couple sets of used R250's but I just give them away because they arent SCCA national winning tires. LOL!
grantsfo
Here is contingency programs offered to SCCA Solo competitors. I dont see Good Year there? So if tires are close in perfomance wouldnt you run Hoosiers if you knew you would recieve free tires?

http://www.scca.org/contingencies.aspx?hub=3
grantsfo
Just to shatter any myths about Hoosier slicks being superior to Good year on cement based California venues one only needs to look at last years National tour results in classes like XP where race slicks, not DOT Rs, are used. Prepared classes mostly use Good Years. Cant see clear Hoosier advantage in these reults. Seems strange to me if large contingency is placed on Hoosiers why so many top SCCA drivers choose GY when running on cement?

http://www.scca.org/documents/resultfiles/...%20Final%20.pdf
Joe Ricard
Man I never looked at those results.

Rory Marin smoked the field and he didn't even HAVE tires.

The usual suspects were missing however. like Andy M. in SM2
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 28 2008, 10:11 PM) *

No flame, discussion, eh?
See you at the Shoot Out. I'll be bringing my gun (& hired gunfighter) with stickers.
Anybody else here goin'?

Yep I'll be there. My car and driver combo is more like a sloppy pirate with a one shot musket. Your car is an assualt rifle with a sharpshooter driving. If I get lucky I might get you. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.