Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't get CV out.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914helo
So after taking apart my CV's and cleaning them thoroughly, I was putting them back on when I accidentily put one in the wrong way. However, I now can't get the inner race back out. confused24.gif Anybody had this problem? I don't want to start hammering on it.
Also, I'm replacing the CV boots while I'm at it, but they're all 6 hole instead of my stock 4 hole. Bug boots?
SLITS
Clamp in vise ... hammer with a brass drift to try and punch it out.

6 bolt holes is generally 911 stuff. Joints are larger diameter than a stock 914.
Cap'n Krusty
VW T1/T3 and early 911/912s use 6 bolts and are the same diameter as 914 CV joints. 914s use 4 holes for bolts and 2 for pins. Most of the boot kits have provision for 6 bolts, although you only use 4 of 'em. Don't go making this harder than it is ................ The Cap'n
914helo
Thanks for the replies. beerchug.gif I got it out and replaced it properly. I'm replacing all 4 boots while I'm at it and just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting the wrong boots on. Nothing should leak out of the 2 extra holes so it's no big deal.
ericread
QUOTE(914helo @ Jun 23 2008, 07:42 AM) *

Thanks for the replies. beerchug.gif I got it out and replaced it properly. I'm replacing all 4 boots while I'm at it and just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting the wrong boots on. Nothing should leak out of the 2 extra holes so it's no big deal.

I don't think the issue of "leaking out" is the problem. Can nay water or other goop get in?

Eric Read bye1.gif
914helo
I had already thought about something like this. I planned to use a little black rtv on the extra hole. Any way to stop potential rust on these is a good step.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.