Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's going on with 914-4 prices?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auerbach
And 914-4 prices are going where? This car is advertised for sale for $22,000.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...200_2007Jun.pdf
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup prices have gone NUTS!
rmital
QUOTE(auerbach @ Jun 23 2008, 12:00 PM) *

...and if I'm not mistaken, it was sold for $22,000
kerensky
If you read the rest of that article, they mention it sold for that price at a collector's auction. Just watch one of those Barrett Jackson things sometime - all it takes is two people with more money than sense to pay waaaaay too much for something. At the bottom of the article they come out and say that a very nice 2.0 should be around $9K, which is less than the current going rate it seems.
jmill
Glad I picked up mine. I think it has to do with fuel prices. Where else can you find a RWD sports car that gets 35 mpg. They just did a review of the Smart Car in my local paper. They say it only got 37 mpg on blended fuel. It's not very attractive and can't be considered a sports car. The 914 lets folks have their cake and eat it too.
championgt1
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 23 2008, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(auerbach @ Jun 23 2008, 12:00 PM) *

...and if I'm not mistaken, it was sold for $22,000

Actually it sold for $24,200! blink.gif
tod914
To restore one to that condition will cost more. I believe the 24,000 phoenix orange car sold for 24k and change on this board about a year or so ago. Prices are going crazy though.
George's original gems are in the mid 20's too for his 4 cyl cars. Can't go back in time and get a new one. If you could what would the current prices be? Muscle cars are through the roof now. 69 Mach 1 my buddy was looking at a couple years ago for 28k, seems like a steal at their current rate now. Maybe the 914's are starting to catch on too. I just often wonder if that high price car market will crash at some point.
orthobiz
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 23 2008, 03:00 PM) *

To restore one to that condition will cost more. I believe the 24,000 phoenix orange car sold for 24k and change on this board about a year or so ago. Prices are going crazy though.

Hey, I hope it's my car quoted here! Makes me feel famous. I bought it from TedK for 14 thousand (22,004 miles) and promptly sent it to Brad Mayeur sight unseen where another 9 thousand brought it up spec: engine compartment resprayed, stuff resealed, new clutch, sway bars, etc. etc. etc.. So with shipping I had 24 into it.

My car has original paint, is beautiful, I couldn't be more pleased. I would never expect to recoup my added "investment" if I were to sell it today. I would imagine a lot of cars at the 14-15 thousand price point could have additional monies sunk into them.

When I was in a frenzy looking to buy 18 mos ago, I did feel like I had just missed the magic time when cars could be had for lots less. I was holding out for a 2.0 liter but cars in primo condition don't come along every day.

I had lots of input and advice from this board that helped guide my decision to buy. When the car sat in Brad's garage for a couple of months he would ask people coming into the shop: was it worth 14 and did I overpay. The consensus was that my baby was worth every penny and I tend to agree.

Paul
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

What's with you guys?????? Every time a 914 goes for a big price, ours become

more valuable. More power to them!!!! Dave slap.gif
tod914
Sounds like you have a beauty Paul. The one I was referring to was a Florida car. Maybe if you get a chance post some pics of your ride!
AvalonFal

piratenanner.gif
Rising 914 prices aren't a problem if you already own one, only if you're buying one. Let the prices soar!!!
kerensky
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 23 2008, 11:35 AM) *

piratenanner.gif
Rising 914 prices aren't a problem if you already own one, only if you're buying one. Let the prices soar!!!

Yeah, but some of us might want another! sad.gif I'm so torn between 'restifying' mine and a full-blown six conversion sometimes I think I just need two cars so I can do both!
Pat Garvey
It's nothing more than the age-old supply & demand scenario. Though, these days that's made moreso by the dominance of the Euro.

Europeans especially are aware of how we Americans have resurrected so many crap 914's - on our nickel.

They are willing to pay for top notch 914's.

Expect it to get worse.
rhodyguy
how do i get 35mpg with my 914? please tell me.
tod914

put it in tow?
Toast
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 23 2008, 09:12 PM) *

agree.gif

I just put 1000 on my 914 this weekend. (Hellll ya! ) driving-girl.gif
I got about 26 mpg.
(This is of course at 80mph for the majority of those miles.) biggrin.gif
elwood-914
[

I got about 26 mpg.
[/quote]

Toast,
Were you driving through Lodi and Stockton area on Sunday? A nice yellow 914 passed me by on I-99? ( I wasnt driveing mine, I was comint home from church) sweet looking car
Cevan
Rising prices?? I think the rusty cars are still cheap. I just paid $750 for a '74 2.0 with D-Jet, Fuchs and some mild separation between the floor and firewall. beer.gif
BarberDave

smilie_pokal.gif

Rhodhy Guy:

It,s very easy, just install a set of 34ict Webers. They are so small you will get

that for mileage, Or better. But it will take 2 miles to get up to speed. And don't

try to pass anything unless you have that 2 miles clear ahead. Depends what you

want to give up. Dave slap.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 24 2008, 01:08 AM) *

agree.gif

I got about 26 mpg.

In 1975 I got 36 mpg on a trip with pure highway mileage in my 1.7 liter 1971.

Paul
atomix8
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 24 2008, 12:58 AM) *

put it in tow?

Make sure your speedo & odo read extra fast smile.gif

I was getting 10% better mileage...until I realized I was reading 10% fast!
nsr-jamie
a decent 914-4 in Japan road certified will set you back that easily so I would say that price is just fair and not high at all, a real 6 will set you back another 10 G's on top of that if you can find one but probably double that to be honest....get them 914's while you can!! biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
The only thing that kept 914 prices rock bottom for so long was the cheap attitudes of so many owners..

Today we are seeing more and more Enthusiasts that are taking the cars as seriously as they should and spending what is required to do the job right. These people don't ask prices very often, it costs what it costs.

JeffBowlsby
Oh my!!! This could be a new record... popcorn[1].gif

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=628465
championgt1
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 26 2008, 11:18 PM) *

blink.gif
Midtowner
blink.gif x2
Root_Werks
I wish my 914 were worth as much.
914werke

Dump the carbs smash.gif
Demick
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 26 2008, 11:18 PM) *

Just remember, until it sells, it's just an asking price. Anyone can ask whatever they want, but until they find a buyer and agree on a price, it's pretty much meaningless.

Demick
carr914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 27 2008, 02:18 AM) *

Why do people advertise that a car is fully restored and then show a picture with an ugly CDplayer in the dash. That one looks like Jack Nicholson's "Joker" face. And definately an asking price especially in this economy.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.