Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AutoX classification ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jetboy
After some research of vehicles in the 914 class and what I think would be a more suitable (E or maybe even H stock) I looked at the power to weight ratio comparisons. It seems odd that a 914 car that is a 22lb per hp (for the 2.0) is classed with the 13-16lb per hp of the competion. Here is what i figured out for comparison on the attatchment Click to view attachment . Does P/W ratio matter that little to lump the teener in with such a class?

PeeGreen 914
Because they hate us wink.gif I have always wondered why our cars get in the classes they do, but oh well. We also get shafted in Sovern historics... if they even let us in.
jhadler
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 23 2008, 10:28 AM) *

Because they hate us wink.gif I have always wondered why our cars get in the classes they do, but oh well. We also get shafted in Sovern historics... if they even let us in.

Oh please...

The reason the 914 languishes in C-Stock is that hardly anyone has bothered to write letters to the SEB about it. Here's a brief history...

The 914 2.0L was one of the more DOMINANT cars in C-stock all the way up into the early '90's (14 National Championships). Right up until the 1.8L Miata was released. Blamo. Why didn't the 914 move? Because the people who were winning in them just stopped driving the 914's and moved onto the next car-du-jour. And the people who didn't switch cars, just stopped playing. C-Stock, since then, has seen the dominant car (Miata) get bigger wheels, bigger motors, better suspensions, and yet the 914 stays there. Why? Because there are so few people that are willing to make the effort to bring the issue up. The SEB (Solo Events Board) and SAC (Stock Advisory Council) have a ton of work all the time just dealing with cars that -aren't- 30+ years old. It's simply not on their radar. And will continue to be so until someone bothers brings it up.

The challenge is this: Where else would it go? Logic would dictate E-Stock. But that's a hard sell. Not impossible mind you, but tough. The 914 should be able to beat a 1.6L Miata half the time. Perfect match if you ask me. But there are a whole lot of 1.6L Miata owners and not anywhere near that many 914 owners that would run in a Stock class.

Oh yeah, and because the 914 has such a good history of wins in the past, there still exists an awful lot of knowledge about the cars on what is and what isn't legal for stock class competition. Rumor has it that there are only three or four stock class legal 914's left in the US. biggrin.gif

-Josh2
jhadler
QUOTE(jetboy @ Jun 23 2008, 08:45 AM) *

After some research of vehicles in the 914 class and what I think would be a more suitable (E or maybe even H stock) I looked at the power to weight ratio comparisons. It seems odd that a 914 car that is a 22lb per hp (for the 2.0) is classed with the 13-16lb per hp of the competion. Here is what i figured out for comparison on the attatchment Click to view attachment . Does P/W ratio matter that little to lump the teener in with such a class?

That's a very good list. You should incorporate that into a letter to the SEB. Just remember that stats like P/W and Weight alone are only a small portion of the puzzle. And weight by itself has a much more significant impact than P/W in autox. That's one reason the 914 is so great!

Write a letter!!!

seb@scca.com

-Josh2
jetboy
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 23 2008, 01:23 PM) *
Rumor has it that there are only three or four stock class legal 914's left in the US. biggrin.gif

-Josh2

As you make a great point in that statement right there. But, since this lovable auto is nearly impossible to find the stock components such as springs then there should be some slight allowance for replacing with the most readily available replacements (such as 140lb springs... not my fault they only come in a shortened length). Point is, if its expected to compete against lighter or as light cars with more power and newer technology components, then, this 30+ yr old auto should be allowed a little leway (sp?) if expected to compete in that class. Other wise, it almost seems from a P/W standpoint its more comparitive to H Stock. Oh, would they hate that?!!!
jhadler
QUOTE(jetboy @ Jun 23 2008, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 23 2008, 01:23 PM) *
Rumor has it that there are only three or four stock class legal 914's left in the US. biggrin.gif

-Josh2

As you make a great point in that statement right there. But, since this lovable auto is nearly impossible to find the stock components such as springs then there should be some slight allowance for replacing with the most readily available replacements (such as 140lb springs... not my fault they only come in a shortened length).

av-943.gif

Sadly, and I don't know why this is, the Solo Rules do not allow for alternate replacement of NLA components in the stock category. They do allow for it in Street Prepared. But even then the component, if not allowed under other SP rules, must be the same as the OEM part it replaces.

Yeah, the rear springs are the kicker. Steve Compton once found a set of never used, still shrink wrapped, stock springs. Put them on the shelf in the garage, and within 4 months, they had sagged over 1/2" under their own weight.

yeah, replacing a stock spring with one that has twice the spring rate as the stock component is not gonna be an allowable option.

Point is, if its expected to compete against lighter or as light cars with more power and newer technology components, then, this 30+ yr old auto should be allowed a little leway (sp?) if expected to compete in that class.

But that was my point. It's -not- expected to compete. It's not even -thought- of, and that's why. There are hosts of older cars that miss-classed in the Solo rules. Why? Simply because the SEB doesn't have the time to manage each and every make and model of car under the sun. Give 'em the data, make a solid argument, and it'll be considered. But a bunch of people belly-achin' on forums won't change their mind even the tiniest little bit. Write a letter.

Other wise, it almost seems from a P/W standpoint its more comparitive to H Stock. Oh, would they hate that?!!!

Yeah, but we all know P/W isn't what wins autoxes. It's handling. More power helps a car go a little quicker, but excess weight just kills autox times.

I honestly think E-Stock is a good fit. But unless people write letters, nothin' is gonna happen.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
So Josh we need to write a letter huh?

Stock 914??? yep there are a couple I'm sure. But any knuckle head that spends enough money to keep a 914 stock is not going to beat orange cones with it.

Street prepared, this was brought up a year or so ago. Josh had some keen insight as to what a DSP 914 would look like. and it certainly would be fast.

With 50K you could make one hell of an SM2 car that would certainly get the attention of the RX7 drivers.

XP FP and E mod are all good places for older cars that people have forgotten about.

This topic applies to why the 3rd Gen RX7 is still in Super stock. Nobody cares or campaigns it anymore. those cars ruled the roost back in the day also.
yeahmag
So where on earth are they gonna stick my 2056, Raby Cam, Dual Dell 2.0L car? SM2?
jhadler
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 9 2008, 02:57 PM) *

So where on earth are they gonna stick my 2056, Raby Cam, Dual Dell 2.0L car? SM2?

SM2, XP, or EM...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Or "it looks like a 2.0L to me".

Until you are kicking the snot out of the Miatas (ain't gonna happen) Nobody will care. Oh crap you got carbs. So much for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.