Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front calipers on rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
i read somewhere that early front calipers can be used on rear as a direct bolt in and that late front calipers can be used but offset needs to be corrected - and that with either option one would lose emergency/parking brake.

what happens to the front/rear brake bias with this set up? is it changed much and does the stock proportioning valve need to be replaced with a manual PV?

jim
Eric_Shea
what happens to the front/rear brake bias with this set up?

It's totally screwed. Porsche didn't put that size piston on the rear of a 911 until 1984. That was the first year they put a beloved proportioning valve in a 911 as well.

It's just a bad idea unless you're going way huge up front which it doesn't sound like is in the cards for you any time soon.

For your car you need much more than patchwork fixes. You need a real, serious brake system. This is now a V8 right?

In the mean time, until your funds are ready, rebuild what you have as it will be much better and safer than fiddling with it. Nothing like finding yourself going way too fast only to swap ends when you hit the brakes.

I'm not a big fan of experimenting with brakes...
jimkelly
eric - like you told me in the past - a good functioning stock 914 brake system will be more than adequate on a street driven V8 914.

i acquired what appear to be a decent set of early calipers and have rotors/etc on the way from pelican - once i get the front brakes buttoned up - i will check the rear brakes and get my proportioning valve reinstalled - and tee off.

thanks again,

jim

** good brake thread **
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=70584
Eric_Shea
not a big fan of that either wink.gif
rhodyguy
you have to be pretty quick with the bricks while stuffing them either behind or infront of the tires while parking on a hill.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.