Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mavrick272
Does anyone have any advice on removing the center console?
Would it be a good idea?
I know I don't need the clock, but would it be good to have the heat gage?
I just figured removing it would make the cabin a little roomier
D1A3
I've had it both ways. Definately more room, at least for my size 10 feet.

Pretty easy to remove and you probably have temperature already in your dash cluster.

Just note you may want to get a correct heat lever for cars without a centger console. The angle of the lever is different, although you would probably be fine with what you've got.
scottb
i have a 73 removed mine because i have big feet (size 12) and would hit the console, accelerator and brake at the same time. annoying.

i put the amp and temp gauges in a 2 ring holder and screwed it to the underneath of the knee pad. got rid of the clock as it was broken anyway. i am very pleased but it would fail the CW test.

and yes, it does open up the cabin.

cheers,

scott

Mavrick272
Yeah, I have size 13
So looks like the console is going bye-bye
so do I just connect the wire ends together or just tape them up under the dash?
r_towle
I have 12.5 feet, and you can get used to it.

the wiring comes in every car (later than 73/74 I think and just lays on the floor under the carpet. They are all spade connectors.

there is a small wiring harness that stays with the console...so keep that together.

Rich
Mavrick272
thanks guys for the advice!
ericread
Nonsense!!! bs.gif

I am 6'4"" (tall) and nearly that wide. i'm over 50, have size 13 feet (or shoes actually) and I have no problem with the center console being in the way. Sure it takes up some room, but it really provides a nice finish to the interior. shades.gif

If you're racing, then great, tear it out. But if you want a nice interior, I say leave it in.

bye1.gif

kerensky
Naw, it's an unnecessary piece of garbage. Rip it out and send it to me, I'll properly dispose of it for you. wink.gif

Seriously, I wouldn't remove it, but then again I'm a gauge junkie. I've wanted a good A/C-cleared short console for years, but never found one that would fit within my CSOB budget. unsure.gif
zx-niner
I guess I spent too many years driving a 914 without a console. When I got one with a console the shoe interference bugged me. And I only have size 10 feet. I ended up removing the console. I liked the idea of having it but could only take so much foot aggravation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.