Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: torque specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
anyone know what torque to tighten the six bolts down on the pressure plate to flywheel? thanks, Matt
Steve Snyder
According to my 1974 2.0 owner's manual, page 85:

"Screws for flywheel:" 79.6 ft. lbs. (11.0 mkg)
"Screws for carrier plate:" (I assume this is the pressure plate) 61.5 ft. lbs. (8.5 mkg)

...and yes, I know they are bolts, but it says "screws." Must have gotten lost in translation. Hope that helps.
sww914
I don't think that any 8mm bolt can take 61.5 ft lbs. A lot might have been lost in translation.
Pelican says this- 18 ft lbs
read it here- http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...914_torques.htm
John
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 23 2008, 10:12 PM) *

I don't think that any 8mm bolt can take 61.5 ft lbs. A lot might have been lost in translation.
Pelican says this- 18 ft lbs
read it here- http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...914_torques.htm

agree.gif

If you torque those carrier plate bolts to 61.5 lb-ft, they will likely break before reaching the torque value (misprint). 18 lb-ft is more likely.

just my $0.02.

McMark
"Screws for carrier plate:" (I assume this is the pressure plate) 61.5 ft. lbs. (8.5 mkg)

Holy moly, don't torque it down that much. 18 lbs is more like it. Any standard (i.e. if it's not very expensive and special order, it's standard) M8 bolt will top out around 18 lbs. So be suspect of any torque value above that for ANY M8 fastener.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 24 2008, 02:42 AM) *

Holy moly, don't torque it down that much. 18 lbs is more like it. Any standard (i.e. if it's not very expensive and special order, it's standard) M8 bolt will top out around 18 lbs. So be suspect of any torque value above that for ANY M8 fastener.

The manual also lists the "carrier plate" screws as M12, not M8. If the bolts on the pressure plate are M8, than the "carrier plate" must be something else (what?).
Mark Henry
Just plow them on with an impact gun.....not

18lbs

A carrier plate is for the torque converter. yep that's what I said....
mattp
thanks for the replies, 18 it is, one more question, I do not have clearance between bolt head and flywheel sides to tighten them down? Am I missing a washer or something to get the added space?
sww914
Can you give us a pic? It's tight there but you can get a socket on there.
McMark
The socket usually doesn't fit very well. If had good luck with using the wrench at an angle, I've also trimmed down a 13mm socket to fit. You don't need to trim it all the way around (360*), more like just 120*, enough to get a little turn then move the socket back.
mattp
will give it a try, prefer to use socket so i can use torque wrench, but we'll see!!thanks for info guys.
Jake Raby
18 pounds with BLUE loctite.. And use NO WASHERS under the pressure plate bolts!! Your bolts were indexed per position during dynamic balance, they must go in those same locations during assembly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.